The Ultimate Burger Bowl post is sponsored by the Certified Angus Beef ® brand in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.
The Ultimate Burger Bowl is chock full of flavor and perfect for your low carb friends! Made juicy and delicious with Certified Angus Beef ® brand ground beef, cheddar cheese, seasoned with a little chili, cumin, and homemade salsa in the mix! If Mexican flavors are your thing then you will love this recipe!
When it comes to summertime grilling, there isn't much else better than a burger on the grill. Unless it's served in what is considered the most Ultimate Burger Bowl! Topped with Avocados, salsa, crispy pork belly and cilantro, this is a burger salad worth creating ALL summer long!
Why a Burger Bowl?
It's no secret I love my burgers. Since going low carb, I wanted to make a burger in a way that I would look forward to eating it still. So, this Ultimate Burger Bowl hit the right spot with all my favorite flavors and toppings!
I make this Ultimate Burger Bowl all the time in the summer months! Summer seems to be when we eat the most burgers because of it being grilling season. The great fats you get in this recipe can't be beat!
Burger Bowl FAQ's
The ultimate burger bowl is a fully loaded, low carb, keto friendly salad made with only the best ingredients! This particular burger bowl is made with 80/20 Certified Angus Beef ® brand ground beef with some fresh homemade salsa and cheese mixed right in. Then, topped with avocado, more salsa, and crispy pork belly!
Yes, bacon is a good substitute. However, if you can get your hands on pork belly, it is absolutely delicious!
This burger bowl has only 1 net carb per serving!
The best part of this recipe is the beef! You all know by now that I am a big beef fan and of course, when I buy beef, I buy what is the best angus beef on the market! That for me would be Certified Angus Beef ® brand!
I like to buy the 80/20 ratio when buying ground beef for grilling. I want moist burgers, and as a Keto diet follower, I want the added fat in my burger. There are other ratios you can use, but the 80/20 is my preference.
This recipe is so full of flavor that it is hard to stop eating! The homemade salsa has two places in this recipe and leftovers can be used as dip for your guests enjoy with tortilla chips if you must!
This fresh salsa helps add more moisture and flavor to your grilled burger. It is also so very addicting!
To grill perfectly tender burgers, the one thing you do not want to do is over mix your beef. If you are going to do mix ins like I did, you want to not overwork it! A moist, juicy burger is what makes your burger bowl the ultimate!
The next thing that makes your burger an ultimate burger bowl is grilling! To me, a burger cooked on the grill add so much flavor. Of course, it's still excellent if you can't grill it, but hey, it is summertime and the grill should be your mainstay!
The worst thing you can do is dry your burger out by overcooking it. Be sure to keep an instant read thermometer handy and when the internal temp reaches 160 degrees it is time to pull them off the grill.
When I was discussing my "ultimate burger bowl" with Grumpy, the one thing he kept saying was, "pork belly." You have to put pork belly in your bowl because that is the perfect accompanyment to beef! Of course, if you don't have access to pork belly, you can always use thick cut bacon!
Kicking up your burger bowl another notch
Because I love spicy Mexican flavors, I had to do the fresh salsa alongside the burger also! A fresh avocado half adds more of that great much needed fat in the keto diet.
Do you feel like splurging more? Then add a fried egg with a nice runny yolk!
Tips for making the Ultimate Burger Bowl!
- Use Certified Angus Beef ® brand 80/20 mix for great flavor and moisture.
- Make your own homemade salsa with fresh ingredients as an add in to the burger.
- Add some crispy texture with thick cut crispy fried bacon or pork belly.
- Add creamy texture with avocado and optional soft fried egg.
- Don't overcook that burger!
Where can you buy the best angus beef? It's easy using this store locator!
I usually buy my beef pre packed at my local Price Chopper. When buying that way it is averages about 1.33lb in a package. I get 4 good sized burgers out of this, as well as a little "tasting burger" for taste testing!
Anytime I want less than that, the butchers at the meat case are always more than happy to perfectly portion your ground beef for you. Just be sure to tell them you want the Certified Angus Beef!
What to serve with the Ultimate Burger Bowl
While the Ultimate Burger Bowl is probably the only thing you really need, you may find a little later you need something to satisfy your sweet tooth!
Our favorite way to do this is with a mini dessert! These Strawberry Shortcake Dessert Shooters are the right size and hit the spot! Or, you may have a little bit of a cookie craving. If so, then these Low Carb Peanut Butter Cookies for Two would be perfect!
*If you made this recipe, please give it a star rating*
The Ultimate Burger Bowl
For the Salsa
For the Burgers
- 4 cups mixed greens
- 2 avocados halved and sliced
- ½ cup pork belly crispy cooked
- 2 tablespoons homemade salsa
- 1 serving your favorite salad dressing
To make salsa:
- Toss together diced tomatoes, jalapeno, onion, garlic, salt, lime juice and apple cider vinegar. Set aside in refrigerator until ready to use.
To make the burgers
- Gently mix together ground beef, cheddar cheese, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Shape into 4 equal patties.
- Preheat grill until hot. I make sure mine is at 450 degrees before adding my burgers. Cover grill and reduce heat to medium low. Cook about 4 min. Turn and cook another 6 -10 minutes until desired doneness. Your internal temperature should at least be 160 degrees. Add cheese slices the last minute of grilling (if desired).
Create the Ultimate Burger Bowl (Serving suggestions)
- Place a base of lettuce in your bowl (about 1 cup - 2 cups depending on your preferred amount of greens).
- Place burger off to the side of the bowl. Arrange pork belly (or thick cut crispy bacon) next to the burger. Add more salsa and avocado. Drizzle with your favorite dressing. Serve.