Chunks of Certified Angus Beef® brand, stew meat simmered in a beefy gravy and surrounded by your basic stew ingredients: carrots, potatoes, peas, and onions. Beef stew is a filling and comforting meal to serve during the crisp fall days!
When I told Grumpy I was going to "wing it" and make a basic stew and just throw it together the way I thought a beet stew should be, he became concerned. Grumpy was always a "stew starter" kind of guy before me. I grew up in a home where packaged products like that were not found in our pantry and Mom would make everything from scratch! That's right, this girl was not brought up on processed mixes so it's not in my nature to think of using it.
The beef stew turned out quite flavorful and when Grumpy was done eating he even said "that was really good." He finished the leftovers the next night and proclaimed that it was the best homemade one I've made. Well, well. Guess he shouldn't be so concerned about my cooking should he? You know what they say about the hand that feeds you!
Basic Beef Stew Recipe
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Heat a large non-stick pot over medium heat. Spray lightly with cooking spray. Add the stew beef. Season with the salt and pepper and cook 4 minutes, or until browned. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic to the same pan the beef was cooked in and 4 minutes, or until onion becomes soft.
- Return the stew beef to the pot along with the, beef broth, gravy master, potatoes, carrots, thyme, and oregano. Bring the mixture to a boil. Turn heat down to low and gently boil the veggies until they are just tender.
- Add the frozen peas and simmer for 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix the flour and water together until smooth. Stir the flour mixture into gently boiling stew stirring constantly. Simmer for 2-3 minutes until thickened.
Pin it! Basic Beef Stew