Chunks of Certified Angus Beef® brand, stew meat simmered in a beefy gravy and surrounded by your basic stew ingredients: carrots, potatoes, peas, and onions. Beef stew is a filling and comforting meal to serve during the crisp fall days!
When I told Grumpy I was going to "wing it" and make a basic stew and just throw it together the way I thought a beet stew should be, he became concerned. Grumpy was always a "stew starter" kind of guy before me. I grew up in a home where packaged products like that were not found in our pantry and Mom would make everything from scratch! That's right, this girl was not brought up on processed mixes so it's not in my nature to think of using it.
The beef stew turned out quite flavorful and when Grumpy was done eating he even said "that was really good." He finished the leftovers the next night and proclaimed that it was the best homemade one I've made. Well, well. Guess he shouldn't be so concerned about my cooking should he? You know what they say about the hand that feeds you!
Serve this stew up with some homemade dinner rolls or a slice or two of homemade soft white bread to sop up all that flavorful gravy. Finish it all off with by making this easy Magic Pudding Dessert!
Basic Beef Stew Recipe
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 pound beef stew meat
- 1 large garlic clove , minced
- ½ medium onion , diced
- 2 large carrots , chunked
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon gravy master
- 10 baby potatoes , cut in half
- 1¼ cup frozen peas
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Heat a large non-stick pot over medium heat. Spray lightly with cooking spray. Add the stew beef. Season with the salt and pepper and cook 4 minutes, or until browned. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic to the same pan the beef was cooked in and 4 minutes, or until onion becomes soft.
- Return the stew beef to the pot along with the, beef broth, gravy master, potatoes, carrots, thyme, and oregano. Bring the mixture to a boil. Turn heat down to low and gently boil the veggies until they are just tender.
- Add the frozen peas and simmer for 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix the flour and water together until smooth. Stir the flour mixture into gently boiling stew stirring constantly. Simmer for 2-3 minutes until thickened.
Pin it! Basic Beef Stew
Man that looks tasty!
From Valeries Kitchen
I always crave beef stew at this time of year. We are having unusually warm weather here in Northern CA but I believe it's supposed to get very chilly this weekend. This is looking really good for the cold weather coming!
Grandma Kat @ Easy Recipes Land
I'm soo excited to try out this new recipe! I have my great grand children coming over this weekend and I think I'm going to run to the grocery store and get the ingredients to this recipe right now.
Who doesn't love beef stew? Thanks so much for this recipe.
The stew looks hearty, healthy, and delicious.
Hey Shelby! Love your new look! This beef stew looks delish and your photos are beautiful!!!
love your new blog header, how cute! this beef stew looks wonderful! just the thing for a cold day.
I love beef stew with a good hearty homemade bread! Yumm! Great for those cool evenings. 🙂
It has been a while since I made stew as well Shelby. The winter and comfort food is not over yet, even if I was wishing otherwise.
This looks delish! We have beef stew 2 or 3 times a month. We never use a recipe and it always turns out great.
I'm not a very good stew or soup maker, but I think I can make this stew. Thanks.
love how the light hits that stew looks salivating great! yummo!