This Sauteed Chicken with Sage Browned Butter is a delicious, quick and easy low carb keto recipe made just for two. The sage-infused browned butter combines with lemon juice for a delicious sauce that tops the chicken along with fried sage leaves.
This sauteed chicken recipe is made specifically for two people and pairs well with Garlic Mashed Cauliflower as a side dish. Dinner is ready in under 30 minutes and the clean up is minimal, making it easy for the tired cook!
A keto-friendly Sauteed Chicken recipe for two made easy
Grumpy and I both work long hard hours. So, when it comes to the end of the day, I really need to find recipes that work for just two people and take little time to make or clean up afterward. Often, Grumpy is home later than I want to wait to eat, so I also need to come up with recipe ideas that reheat well.
This Sauteed Chicken with Sage Browned Butter Sauce turned out to be exactly what I was looking for. The pounded chicken thighs took little time to cook and only needed about 90 seconds in the microwave to reheat for Grumpy later.
I love the flavors of browned butter that has had sage leaves fried in it, and I really love the crispy fried sage. There is a nutty, salty delicious flavor to the whole combination that is quite addicting.
What you need to make this recipe
Almond Flour: I used the almond flour to add a little bit of coating to the chicken and add another level of nuttiness to the dish.
Chicken Thighs: I went with sauteed chicken thighs because I feel the meat has more flavor. Feel free to use chicken breasts instead if you prefer.
Fresh Sage and Fresh Thyme: I feel fresh herbs lend so much more to a recipe and will always go with fresh if I have it on hand. Sage and thyme both pair very well with chicken so I used both for this recipe.
Butter: Salted or unsalted butter is fine, whatever your preference is. I usually use unsalted butter when baking but salted butter when cooking. Then I add salt and pepper if needed when serving.
Cast Iron Skillet: I love how evenly a cast iron skillet will cook food. You don't need a high heat (especially for sauteed chicken or for browning butter)
Tips for making this Sauteed Chicken recipe
- Use a meat tenderizer mallet to pound the chicken thighs. This allows for a quick-cooking time with tender meat.
- Be sure to cook over medium heat when cooking the browned butter sauce and frying the sage. If your heat is too high, the butter will burn.
- Keep the heat at medium when cooking the chicken so the almond flour coating does not burn.
How to make this recipe your own way
Chicken is a very versatile protein that goes with many things. It is normally low in fat, depending on the way it is cooked. So, when cooking it in a keto recipe, it is natural to add fat to it. But it can be adapted to making it your own way if you're not following keto.
The almond flour coating is not required for this recipe, however, it adds something extra to the flavors. If you have a nut allergy, it is fine to leave it off entirely or substitute coconut flour.
This recipe can also be a paleo recipe, just substitute ghee for the butter. You won't be able to get the browned butter flavor, but you will have the flavor of the ghee, which is incredible on its own.
What to serve with Sauteed Chicken with Sage Browned Butter
To keep this meal keto, serve the sauteed chicken with a helping of garlic mashed cauliflower! This is our favorite combination. If you don't follow keto, then this recipe Mashed Potatoes is the best one ever!
*If you made this Sauteed Chicken with Sage Browned Butter, please give it a star rating*
Sauteed Chicken with Sage Browned Butter
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Sprinkle the pounded chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- Place flour in a shallow dish; dredge chicken in almond flour.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add chicken to pan; sauté for 4 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from the skillet and wipe the skillet clean.
- Add butter and sage leaves to the skillet. Cook over medium heat until butter browns and sage is crispy.
- Remove the sage from the skillet and set aside.
- Add onions and thyme to the skillet and cook for 1 minute, until onions have softened.
- Stir in the lemon juice and simmer for 30 seconds. Serve with chicken. Garnish with sage leaves and lemon.