This Red White and Blue Potato Salad recipe is the very best summertime bbq sides recipe ever! This patriotic potato salad recipe is made with red, white, and purple potatoes and it is loaded with bacon, dill, a little bit of jalapeno wrapped in a creamy dressing.
In June, summer begins and ends with patriotic holidays, along with the 4th of July in the midst of it all. This Red White and Blue Potato Salad is the perfect food for serving all summer long in the spirit of patriotism.
❤️ Why you'll love it
✔️ It is perfect for celebrating patriotic holidays and excellent picnic or bbq side dish recipe.
✔️ The combination of chopped fresh dill, bacon, and jalapeno in the sour cream mayonnaise based dressing is one the whole family will love.
✔️ It's an easy make ahead recipe so the salad flavors can blend together before serving.
Red, white and blue potatoes, these are usually baby sized and sold in one bag.
Rice or red wine vinegar, I prefer rice wine vinegar for the sweetness but red can be used.
Red bell pepper, green bell pepper, and jalapeno pepper added for flavor and color
Red onion, also added for flavor and color.
Fresh dill, added for an extra freshness in the salad.
Mayonnaise, used to make the dressing
Sour cream, used to make the dressing
Thick cut bacon, give the most flavor to the salad and holds up better.
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with water, adding 1 teaspoon of salt. Bring the potatoes to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat and cook for 10 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender. Transfer cooked potatoes to a large bowl and cool completely before assembling salad.
- Toss vinegar with cooled, diced potatoes.
- Add peppers, onion and 5 slices of bacon.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and toss to combine. Set aside.
- In a separate small bowl whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream, and fresh dill.
- Pour the dressing over the potato mixture and stir to coat.
- Top with grape tomatoes and the remaining bacon.
- Refrigerate until serving.
Large bowl with lid
Store any leftover potato salad in an airtight container in the fridge up to 4 days.
- Use any combination of potatoes you have on hand. All white potatoes, red potatoes, or blue potatoes will work in this recipe.
- Substitute the fresh dill with chopped parsley or green onions.
- Stir in 1 cup of crumbled blue cheese.
- The potatoes must be cold before adding the dressing, allow them to cool slightly, then after transferring to a bowl, refrigerate potatoes until cold.
- It is best to not peel the potatoes. Rather clean and boil them whole.
📚 Related Recipes
Dill fans will love this Dill Pickle Pasta Salad.
This Classic Potato Salad Recipe is another great picnic side dish.
Dill Pickle Meatloaf has all the flavors of a cheeseburger in one loaf.
Try this Dill Pickle Martini aka the Dirty Pickle!
Bacon Wrapped Potato Wedges make a delicious side or appetizer.
🍽 Serve with…
Serve this Red White and Blue Potato Salad as a side dish to Firemen's Field Day Chicken or Air Fried Hamburgers. It also is a great side dish to this Barbeque Bacon Cheeseburger. For dessert, keep the patriotic theme with this Red, White, and Blueberry Pie Recipe!
🏫 The last word
Red potatoes have a red skin and are white on the inside. They are high in Vitamin C, A, and D and are high in fiber. They are smooth and creamy with a subtle sweet flavor.
White potatoes are the most common and have a slightly creamy, dense texture. They are high in fiber and protein and are packed with vitamins.
Blue potatoes have a purple skin and are also purple inside. The color is vibrant before cooking and tones down some once cooked. They are high in vitamin C, potassium, and fiber, and have a texture similar to the Russet potato.
Don't forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products!
When you make this Red White and Blue Potato Salad recipe, please comment below and let me know what you think. I'd love it if you tag me on Instagram @grumpyshoneybunch or #grumpyshoneybunch so I can see your photos!
Red White and Blue Potato Salad
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1½ pound Red white and blue potatoes White, & Blue Potatoes
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup finely diced red bell pepper
- ⅓ cup finely diced green bell pepper
- 1 small jalapeno pepper , finely diced
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 8 slices crisp cooked bacon , crumbled
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with water, adding 1 teaspoon of salt. Bring the potatoes to a boil over medium high heat.
- Reduce heat and cook for 10 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender. Transfer cooked potatoes to a large bowl and cool completely before assembling salad.
- Toss vinegar with cooled, diced potatoes. Add peppers, onion and 5 slices of bacon. Season with salt and pepper to taste and toss to combine. Set aside.
- In a separate small bowl whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream, and fresh dill. Pour the dressing over the potato mixture and stir to coat. Top with grape tomatoes and the remaining bacon. Refrigerate until serving.
So pretty, love the red, white and blue potatoes!
oh shelby I only wish I could have a giant bowl of this, but I can't.
maybe a bite? lol
looks so GOOD!!
how is my snugglebunny doing?
Your snugglebunny is the most adorable cuddly little love bug in the world. 😉 He's doing well!
what a great idea for memorial day or the 4th of July! I love this!
this is so creative!!! love it. looks delicious and festive 🙂
Great salad, love all the colored potatoes. I'd like to dig right in and have a bowl.
How beautiful for a patriotic picnic!
This looks delicious and I love a good potato salad! The red,white and blue concept make it so festive!
Life Tastes Good
What great colors!! I never thought to make a red, white, and blue potato salad! Great idea!! Sounds delicious too! You had me at potato but then I saw the bacon!! OMG!! Summer comfort food at its finest!