Overhead Crockpot Venison Stew in serving dish with bread on the side

First Published: October 6, 2009… Last Updated: October 19, 2020

Crockpot Venison Stew is slow-cooked to perfection in a dark rich broth full of deer meat, potatoes, and tenderizing brown ale! Come home to a hot and hearty meal straight from your slow cooker! Pair your venison stew with a few slices of Homemade Soft White Bread. Just right for sopping up all of the tasty rich broth at the bottom of your bowl!

There is nothing that will draw your family to the kitchen like the wonderful aromas of venison stew hitting their nose as soon as they walk in the house! This Crockpot Venison Stew will do exactly that. So flavorful and delicious, there won’t be a drop left in their bowls.

Venison Stew in a grey dish with a dinner roll in the background

Making stew with deer meat from the hunt

I always start thinking about Crockpot Venison Stew when the fall gets here. Pretty soon, another deer hunting season will be right around the corner. We will be back in the woods, looking to bring home some more wild game for our freezer.

When we return from the night watch in the woods, we are usually chilly and hungry. Coming home to a house filled with the aroma of a hot venison dinner ready to go on the table is so comforting. This Crockpot Venison Stew warms us up quite well after spending time in the woods!

Slow cooked venison stew in an orange crock with slices of homemade bread in the background

What you need to know about deer meat

What is venison stew meat?

Stew meat is basically the least tender cut of the deer. Grumpy says it is the bits and pieces of tougher meat that also can be made into ground venison. It is the tougher meat from the animal which is why slow cooking is the best way to prepare it.

Can I use another cut of deer meat for stew?

Stew meat is basically the least tender cut of the deer. Grumpy says it is the bits and pieces of tougher meat that also can be made into ground venison. It is the tougher meat from the animal which is why making venison stew in the crockpot is the best way to prepare it.

Does all venison have a wild gamey taste?

Wild game has a rich and earthy flavor. However, gaminess is caused by several factors. Undesirable flavor can be the result of taking an older buck, one that was in the rut (therefore his testosterone is high), or poor processing can all be factors of a gamey flavor.

How long can I store venison in the freezer?

It depends on how the meat is packaged. I recommend vacuum sealing. Good wrapping will assist in longer storage. We have had venison in the freezer for as long as 2 years and have never had freezer burnt meat.

What you need to make this recipe

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post contains affiliate links.

Below are just some of the basics you need to make this recipe. You will need several seasonings from the pantry which are listed in the recipe card itself.

Venison Stew Meat

Potatoes: I love to use gold potatoes. I feel like they have the creamiest texture and buttery flavor. They go excellent in this stew.

Cremini Mushrooms are my favorite. If you don’t like mushrooms, just leave them out. You can also use white button mushrooms or baby portabellas.

Tomato Paste: this is an important ingredient. It will help thicken up the stew as well as add flavor.

Red Wine or Beer: A dark or light beer will work, whichever you enjoy the most. I prefer a dry red wine.

Beef Broth: Essential in this recipe. It adds flavor.

Crockpot: I use this one. I love that it has a warm setting on it so if it finishes before we get home, it keeps it warm still.

Troubleshooting your Crockpot Venison Stew

• Follow the recommended cooking method for this recipe. Cooking it longer is ok but do not cook it for less time.
  • If you cook this recipe on high, I recommend 4 hours. However, I highly recommend that you cook this recipe on low.
  • Be sure to dice your carrots and potatoes into smaller pieces. A good recommendation is 1″ cubes. Anything larger can cause your vegetables to not cook.
  • Follow the instructions for layering the ingredients into your pot. Potatoes and carrots will take longer to cook than any of your other ingredients and need to be on the bottom layer closer to the heat.

Making Crockpot Venison Stew

Prepare the stew meat by tossing it with flour, salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl.

Stew meat coated in flour in a mixing bowl

Heat a large non-stick skillet until it is hot. Add 1 tablespoon of oil and sear meat until browned on all sides. This should only take 2-3 minutes.

Stew meat being browned in skillet with flour coating.

While deer meat is searing, prepare your vegetables for the stew. Chop and measure your vegetables for the venison stew and set aside.

Chopped potatoes, onions, and carrots, ready to go into the slow cooker

In your crockpot, layer your vegetables and seasoning in your slow cooker ceramic pot. Start with the potatoes and end with the seasonings (the first 13 ingredients listed in the recipe).

Slow cooker with potatoes, onions, carrots, seasonings and tomato paste layered.

Place the browned stew meat on top of layered vegetables and pour broth over top. Place the lid on your crockpot and set you’re it to cook on low temperature for about 7-1/2 hours. Cooking on high heat is not recommended for this recipe.

all of the ingredients in slow cooker ready to cook.

When your venison stew is done, remove the bay leaf, serve and enjoy!

Overhead view of stew in crockpot after it has finished cooking.
Pinnable image for crockpot venison stew

What I like to serve with Venison Stew

Whenever we eat a stew, we like to have some sort of starch to soak up the gravy at the bottom of our bowl. I usually will make a recipe for Homemade Soft White Bread or Homemade Sweet Dinner Rolls to serve with this stew!

If you love Venison Recipes, be sure to check out my new website. Some of our favorite recipes there is Venison Stir-Fry, Venison Sloppy Joes, and BBQ Cheddar Meatloaves!

Other Slow Cooker Recipes you may like

The convenience of the slow cooker makes dinner time smooth going. Coming home to a hot meal with no mess is pretty darn satisfying! Some of our favorite recipes are Slow Cooker BBQ Beef Brisket, Slow Cooker Beef and Veggie Sliders, and Slow Cooker Baby Back Ribs!

*If you made this recipe, please give it a star rating*

Overhead Crockpot Venison Stew in serving dish with bread on the side

Crockpot Venison Stew

This flavorful, meaty Crockpot Venison Stew is cooked on low in your crockpot all day bringing you home to the wonderful aroma of stew hitting your nose and making your mouth water!
5 from 7 votes
Print Pin Rate
Course: Main Dish
Cuisine: American
Keyword: crockpot venison stew, Slow Cooker, slow cooker venison stew, stew recipe, venison recipe, venison stew
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 7 hours
Total Time: 7 hours 20 minutes
Servings: 6
Calories: 427kcal
Author: Shelby Law Ruttan

Ingredients

• 2 cups Yukon gold or red potato peeled and cubed
  • 2 cups cremini mushrooms quartered
  • 1 cup celery sliced
  • 1 cup carrot sliced
  • 1/2 cup onion diced
  • 1/3 cup tomato paste
  • 1 1/2 tsp sugar (optional)
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp black pepper freshly ground
  • 1 1/2 lb venison stew meat
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 cup red wine
  • 1 cup beef broth

Instructions

• In a large mixing bowl, sprinkle the flour, teaspoon salt, and teaspoon pepper over top of the venison stew meat. Toss to coat.
    dredging meat with flour
  • Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the venison. Cook for 4 minutes or until browned on all sides, turning frequently.
  • Add the potatoes, mushrooms, celery, carrots, onion, venison stew meat, tomato paste, oregano, thyme, rosemary, bay leaf, salt, pepper, and sugar (if using).
  • Pour beer and broth over venison. Cover and cook on low 7 1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Discard bay leaf before serving.

Video

Notes

Make this recipe the way you like it

• Substitute beer for the red wine
  • Feel free to substitute beef for venison to make beef stew
  • Substitute diced turnip for the potatoes for a lower carb version of venison stew.
  • Make this in a dutch oven instead of the crockpot. In step 2, instead of putting the ingredients in the slow cooker, put them in the dutch oven and bake at 350 for 1-1/2 hours.
  • Stew can be frozen in an airtight container for up to three months; add a little more water or beer when reheating.

Nutrition

Calories: 427kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 47g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 128mg | Sodium: 483mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 6g

cooker

1. Amanda October 6, 2009 at 11:48 am - Reply

LOL – my hubby doesn't hunt, but there are plenty of them here in southern WI! A good friend of mine looks forward o this time of year. Her boyfriend and all his buddies go up north for a week of hunting. She can't wait to get him out of the house LOL!

This stew looks great – I have never tried venison. Sounds like a shocker, but since we don't have a hunter here… I bet this would be just as fabulous with beef too 🙂

2. Jessie October 6, 2009 at 12:44 pm - Reply

Grumpy cracks me up! sitting around sulking because it was bad day weather wise. I hope that yummy venison stew cheered him up!

3. Barbara Bakes October 6, 2009 at 1:50 pm - Reply

You take such good care of Grumpy! I might need my husband to take up hunting so I can have a week by myself!

4. Natalie October 6, 2009 at 3:08 pm - Reply

wow yum! I haven't had venison since I was a little kid, but this sounds awesome!

5. Pam October 6, 2009 at 3:18 pm - Reply

My husband would love this stew, especially because you cooked it with beer. Great photos Shelby.

6. Mags October 6, 2009 at 3:41 pm - Reply

It's been awhile since I've had venison stew. Hubby doesn't hunt, but my dad and brothers did when I was growing up and I fondly remember all the meals we ate from their hunts. This looks delicious Shelby.

7. Helene October 6, 2009 at 6:29 pm - Reply

What a stew. Looks delicious.

8. teresa October 6, 2009 at 7:58 pm - Reply

my tummy is cravint this stew!

9. Josie October 6, 2009 at 9:56 pm - Reply

You crack me up! You sound exactly like my mom about my dad regarding hunting (and what a pain in the tush they can be when the weather doesn't cooperate!). I need a grumpy in my life to bring home venison for me so I can try this stew!

10. Katy ~ October 6, 2009 at 11:09 pm - Reply

HoneyB, I can just see Grumpy's big smile for this one. It looks outstanding!

11. Coleen's Recipes October 7, 2009 at 6:47 am - Reply

We don't have access to venison here, but we DO make moose stew. I'm chuckling at Grumpy not wanting to hunt in the rain…a little wimpy don't you thin? haha. I totally know what you mean about enjoying Grumpys hunting trips. Around here we call it, enjoying Hubbys snowmachine trips.

12. HoneyB October 7, 2009 at 9:11 am - Reply

Thanks!

Grumpy went out…early morning and evening hunt. So he still went out….he just complained. 😉

Coleen, it not so much he doesn't want to be in the rain. Its more that its too windy and raining pretty hard to be hunting with a bow. Right now it is archery season. 😉 However, that said, it has done nothing but rain here for about 2 weeks straight now.

Barbara, I get more than a week. 😉 Early archery starts around Sept 28 and he hunts right thru muzzleloader, rifle…up to the 2nd weekend in December!

13. Donna-FFW October 7, 2009 at 11:24 am - Reply

Well, that just looks absolutely delish! Grumpy is LUCKY to have you.

14. Phoenix October 7, 2009 at 8:35 pm - Reply

This looks amazing! I've been trying to think of a way to get the boyfriend interested in something other than burger meat, and this might do the trick. Thanks for sharing!

15. {kiss my spatula} October 7, 2009 at 10:22 pm - Reply

what a perfect stew for a chilly evening! i love venison!

16. Nat October 8, 2009 at 12:47 pm - Reply

Gorgeous !

17. Olga October 12, 2009 at 3:56 pm - Reply

have never had venison. it's gray and cold in DC…would love a bowl of it.

18. pigpigscorner October 14, 2009 at 8:12 pm - Reply

I've only had venison at restaurants and have no idea where to buy the meat. This looks great!

• Pete February 15, 2020 at 6:48 pm - Reply

Tough or next to impossible to buy wild venison. Gotta hunt it. Nothing more satisfying than harvesting your own food, meat or vegetables.

19. Mama C March 5, 2012 at 11:58 pm - Reply

I made this recipe recently and it turned out fantastic! The only changes I made was to use rice flour instead of ap flour, and pino noir instead of beer, as we were somehow out…

20. MacKenzie July 12, 2012 at 3:02 am - Reply

I was wondering about how much this recipe makes. I have to feed about 25 to 30 fireman (also known as food vacuums haha) and I'm wondering if I shouldn't make two. Thanks.

21. BRIAN & JOANIE December 20, 2012 at 4:25 pm - Reply

My husband has been making venison stew for years. I made your recipe 2 days ago. He says it was the best he's ever had. I made pop overs with them. Yummy!

22. ERIN October 19, 2017 at 3:18 pm - Reply

COULD I USE VENISON “STEW MEAT” INSTEAD OF THE BACK STRAP? I HAVE SOME IN THE FREEZER AND I NEED A RECIPE FOR IT. THIS LOOKS PERFECT.

• Shelby October 20, 2017 at 5:37 am - Reply

Absolutely and thank you!

23. Kristine November 7, 2017 at 1:14 am - Reply

My family doesn’t like mushrooms. Would you substitute something else or just leave them out? Thanks!

• Shelby November 7, 2017 at 5:52 am - Reply

You can leave the mushrooms out 🙂

24. […] Crockpot Venison Stew from Grumpy’s Honey Bunch (upper left) […]

25. […] Crockpot Venison Stew […]

26. Laura January 2, 2018 at 1:35 pm - Reply

A family friend of ours hunts and always gives us some venison! YUM!

27. ashley January 3, 2018 at 1:44 pm - Reply

This looks so warm and comforting!

28. Carolyn January 3, 2018 at 3:58 pm - Reply

This looks perfect for the colder days!

29. Richa Gupta January 5, 2018 at 8:51 pm - Reply

The soup looks spicy and yummy over all!

30. Kaylee March 25, 2018 at 12:49 pm - Reply

I have this is in my crockpot right now, but with Elk instead. Thank you so much for posting game recipes, my dad is a huge hunter so we get most our meat from him and since my husband is out of town I need to prep cook for the week.

• Shelby March 25, 2018 at 1:37 pm - Reply

Hi Kaylee! Thanks for letting me know. I hope your family loves this recipe with the Elk! I have not had Elk yet, but Grumpy does want to do an Elk hunt so I’m pretty sure one day I will finally get to try it 🙂

31. […] Crockpot Venison Stew […]

32. Claudia Lamascolo August 6, 2018 at 7:54 am - Reply

5 stars
    We love venison and stew is the way to go, it makes it so tender. I love how delicious this looks and the flavors will be exactly what I would use my husband would love this. I will need to make this when he gets venision again!

33. Lisa August 6, 2018 at 9:19 am - Reply

5 stars
    We have so much venison in the freezer. I was just thinking I need to make a stew and this one looks so delicious.

34. Dahn August 6, 2018 at 9:23 am - Reply

delicious stew! We still have some venison from last year that needs to get eaten so we can make room for this years supply. Time to make some stew!

35. Lisa | Garlic & Zest August 6, 2018 at 9:26 am - Reply

5 stars
    It seems that being a “hunters widow” is more beneficial than being a “golf widow”. My husband never shows up with game after 18 holes. Your venison stew looks amazing!

36. 5 stars
    Sending this recipe right over to my fiance now! He’s got a bunch of venison in the freezer and needed some new ideas for it! Thanks!

37. Jersey Girl Cooks August 9, 2018 at 1:49 pm - Reply

5 stars
    I’m not a huge venison person but I think I’d love this stew! Or I could always use beef instead. Love your presentation!

38. Carolyn August 9, 2018 at 9:58 pm - Reply

5 stars
    This sounds lovely, bread dipped in this stew would be so amazing!

39. ashley manila August 10, 2018 at 9:13 am - Reply

I have to try this soon!

40. Liz @ The Lemon Bowl August 10, 2018 at 1:45 pm - Reply

5 stars
    This looks so yummy! I don’t often cook with venison – but this sounds fabulous! 🙂

41. […] Venison Stew is such a delicious comfort food for cooler temperatures. Grumpy’s Honey […]

42. Karen December 2, 2018 at 11:44 am - Reply

How awesome that you have someone who goes out and brings back dinner! Your bowl of the stew is gorgeous.

43. Caroline December 4, 2018 at 10:51 am - Reply

I haven’t had venison in so long since we don’t really get it here, but I used to love it when we got it in the UK. This looks so comforting.

44. Anne Lawton December 5, 2018 at 5:23 pm - Reply

you can’t go wrong with stew this time of year! This looks good.

45. Heather December 9, 2018 at 2:58 pm - Reply

I just went out recently with my boyfriend and his family hunting in WI, I am making this today on high heat whist we go to cut our Christmas tree. I have only had venison stew once, one my boyfriend made early on in our relationship, with meat he had shot the year before. This recipe sounds amazing and I can’t wait to try it. I will day I added a bit more veggies and the meat was a smidge more than 1lb so I added more of everything else. And I always add waaaay more garlic. It smells amazing so far so it should be an awesome meal. Thank you for the recipe ?

• Shelby December 10, 2018 at 6:21 am - Reply

Hi Heather! I hope it turned out great for you! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

46. Marla January 6, 2019 at 1:28 pm - Reply

My husband is concerned the mule deer tenderloin won’t get tender enough. What have you found? Or any suggestions to make sure it is tender enough?
    TIA

• Shelby January 7, 2019 at 6:32 am - Reply

I have used tenderloin when my stew meat was gone and had no issues. However, I recommend stew meat as it takes well to long, slow cooking. Normally tenderloin needs to be cooked quickly as overcooking it can cause it to become tough. My recommendation is to use stew meat if you have it. Having said that, the meat recipe still was not tough – it was very delicious!

47. Laurie Zahar January 7, 2019 at 7:35 am - Reply

I was pretty excited to try this recipe as we too, have a freezer full of venison. I totally forgot to put it on Sunday morning so I converted it to a stovetop recipe using a LeCreuset pot and it was delicious! I probably simmered it too long, but it melted in our mouths. Thank you so much for sharing. You hit all the spices perfectly. Can’t wait to make the next batch in the crock pot!

• Shelby January 7, 2019 at 11:11 am - Reply

Hi Laurie! So happy you stopped by and let me know you tried the recipe! Glad it turned out so delicious for you also 🙂

48. […] Slow Cooker Venison Stew […]

49. […] throughout the chilly months of the year, you are likely to see Crockpot Venison Stew on the table. We also will have cook steaks in a pan or grill. This recipe for Venison Marinade is […]

50. […] 21. Venison Stew […]

51. Anonymous October 4, 2019 at 11:54 am - Reply

52. […] Soup and Stews are always a great way to use the slow cooker. This Slow Cooker Clam Chowder or Crockpot Venison Stew. […]

53. […] you want a regular stew, then this Crockpot Venison Stew is the ticket. Not a fan of venison? Substitute beef and your good to […]

54. […] Whether you are making sandwiches, toast, or just want to have a slice of buttered bread to go with your meal, this recipe for homemade bread is one of the easiest and most cost-effective recipes to make. It is perfect for sopping up the juices from your favorite crockpot venison stew recipe! […]

55. Claire October 14, 2020 at 9:05 pm - Reply

Made this for dinner tonight, I had never made venison myself before so I just stuck to the recipe and it was amazing! It melted in my mouth and my picky child ate 2 bowls! Definitely keeping this recipe on hand to make again and again!

• Shelby Law Ruttan October 15, 2020 at 8:57 am - Reply

Hi Claire, Thanks for stopping by and sharing your experience! So happy your picky child loved it! 🙂 Shelby

56. Ken McBroom October 18, 2020 at 11:15 pm - Reply

Can’t wait to try this recipe. I have made venison stew before but not in a crockpot. I can put this together turn it on and go hunting and return home to a delicious dinner.

• Shelby Law Ruttan October 19, 2020 at 8:50 am - Reply

I hope you love it! I like it with beer and wine, but I prefer the red wine (in the broth and in a glass!) Thanks!