This Spicy Chicken Noodle Soup is a delicious low fat low calorie soup recipe that is similar to the pho soup that I get for take-out. Chicken is simmered and shredded then the broth is flavored and bulked up with noodles and veggies, then topped off with some fresh cilantro.
I enjoy this chicken soup for lunch often when there is a chill in the air, and the flavor of curry is warming and delicious. And, the touch of sriracha sauce, cilantro, and lime juice provides a burst of flavor in the mouth.
❤️ Why I Love This Recipe
I fell in love with this recipe when i found it in a Rachel Ray magazine years ago. I was already hooked on chicken pho from my favorite Vietnamese take out, so when I realized how delicious this spicy chicken noodle soup was, I knew I would be making it often!
✔️ This chicken noodle soup is perfect for lunch or as an appetizer to dinner.
✔️It is a very versatile recipe that can be adapted to many flavors and ingredients.
✔️This is a gluten-free soup recipe that is low in fat and calories and high in protein.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases from affiliate links.
Chicken breasts, uncooked, these will be simmered on the stove and the broth will be used in the soup.
Chicken broth, this will be created when boiling the chicken breasts, but you will need extra broth (I recommend this broth) to make up the full 6 cups.
Red curry paste, this adds flavor and spice to the chicken soup.
Rice noodles are a gluten-free product that is used often in Asian cooking.
Red bell pepper, for color and sweetness.
Scallions, for color and flavor.
Fresh cilantro to garnish the soup and add a freshness of flavor.
Limes, the juice is squeezed over top of the soup for an added burst of fresh flavor.
Sriracha sauce to add heat to the soup recipe.
Hoisin sauce to add sweet and salty flavors.
🙋 Recipe FAQ's
If you would like this soup to be spicier, add red pepper flakes to taste.
Simmering soup for a length of time does bring out better flavors. The chicken is simmered in this recipe for 30 minutes to make the broth that is used in the soup.
Thin egg noodles and angel hair pasta make a good substitute, however, if you need gluten-free recipe, you will need to stick to the rice noodles.
- Make the soup ahead of time but leave the noodles out. Store the soup in the freezer up to 1 month. When ready to serve, heat the thawed soup over medium heat until hot and add the cooked noodles and garnishes to serve.
- Add ½ onion and 2 garlic cloves to the chicken when simmering on the stove to add more flavor to the broth.
- Substitute carrots or celery for the red bell pepper.
- For more umami flavor, add a teaspoon of fish sauce to the soup.
- Boost the Asian flavors with a teaspoon of fresh ginger.
- Substitute chicken thighs for the chicken breasts.
- Stir in 1 cup of coconut milk in place of 1 cup of chicken broth for a creamy chicken noodle soup.
This Spicy Chicken Noodle Soup goes great with these Air Fryer Egg Rolls.
Store any leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 1 week and in the freezer for up to 1 month.
More Spicy Soup Recipes
Don't forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products!
When you make this recipe, please comment below and let me know what you think. I'd love it if you tag me on Instagram @grumpyshoneybunch or #grumpyshoneybunch so I can see your photos!
If you love this recipe, please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating
Spicy Chicken Noodle Soup
- In a medium saucepan over medium high heat, bring the chicken, chicken broth, and two cups of water to a boil.
- Turn the heat to medium low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken from the saucepan and let cool. Shred the cooled chicken using 2 forks
- Strain the broth and bring it back to a simmer over medium-high heat. Add enough chicken broth to make 6 cups. Whisk the curry paste into the broth.
- Add the noodles and the bell pepper and cook for 3 minutes, until the noodles are just tender. Stir in the shredded chicken.
- Serve with sriracha sauce and hoisin sauce (if using) and garnish with cilantro and lime (if using).