The Best Creamy Peanut Butter Fudge

If your looking for a peanut butter fudge recipe that has no powdered sugar, is full of peanut butter and is a boiled old-fashioned recipe, then look no further. I have the creamiest most delicious recipe that you are ever going to want to make from this day forward!

This is the best, old-fashioned, creamy recipe I have ever made and you can make it too!

The Best Creamy Peanut Butter Fudge

There is no doubt that I am an old-fashioned girl. Especially when it comes to recipes. I grew up in the days where the best kind of homemade candy was the kind you stood over the stove and watched. None of this melt chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk, and stir powdered sugar into it kind of fudge. And, my favorite flavor was always peanut butter fudge!

The Best Creamy Peanut Butter Fudge

My deep dark secret about fudge!

I never was the biggest fan of chocolate fudge. Sure, I liked my mom’s recipe she would make for us on Saturday nights and if that was the only flavor she made, of course, I would eat it!. But, I loved her peanut butter fudge, brown sugar fudge, or maple sugar candy recipe more.

The Best Creamy Peanut Butter Fudge

My not so great love of chocolate is why in all my 11 plus years of blogging, you have never seen a recipe for plain old chocolate fudge! Sure, I have chocolate recipes here, but they certainly don’t dominate my blog. If you put toasted pecans, caramel, and bourbon with the fudge though, then I will definitely eat that! My recipe for Salted Chocolate Bourbon Praline Fudge recipe is a favorite mine and many of my friends!

The Best Creamy Peanut Butter Fudge

There is a secret ingredient in this peanut butter fudge recipe that makes it spectacular. The first time I made this peanut butter fudge was when my boys were little. I never was the best candy maker but I always tried. With this recipe though, you don’t have to try too hard because it just “works”. All thanks to cream of tartar! From that day forward, whenever I did make peanut butter fudge, I used this recipe.

Candy in saucepan with candy thermometer

What does Cream of Tartar do to your peanut butter fudge and why is it so secret?

I can’t really tell you why it is so secret. As a matter of fact, I don’t know why it is not an ingredient in every boiled fudge recipe. I can tell you, however, that cream of tartar is a very magic ingredient. It helps to break down the sucralose and you get a smooth, creamy, melt in your mouth fudge! No graininess in your fudge whatsoever!

Adding the peanut butter, vanilla, and butter ingredients to the cooled boiled fudge

This recipe also calls for a full cup of peanut butter. That’s a lot of peanut butter flavor! None of those waxy peanut butter chips and a lot of really good peanut butter. I also use nothing but the pure good stuff. Either all natural or reduced sugar peanut butter makes it onto my pantry shelf.

Peanut Butter Fudge in the dish with tinfoil for easy removal

Why no powdered sugar?

Let’s talk a minute about powdered sugar. My childhood never saw a fudge recipe made with powdered sugar, also known as confectioner’s sugar. While there is nothing wrong with powdered sugar in fudge, plain and simple, it just is not my preference. I want the texture of a cooked fudge, also known as boiled. It’s all about the mouthfeel and texture to me. Some people may argue there is no difference but I beg to differ. There is a difference in texture and a difference in flavor to me!

Boiled fudge is harder to make and you have a good chance of failing if you’ve never made it before. Don’t let that comment deter you from trying though! It is totally worth it! If you haven’t read my tips on making boiled fudge, then be sure to check out my Nanny’s Brown Sugar Fudge Recipe where I share with you just how to be successful with homemade fudge making!

The Best Creamy Peanut Butter Fudge

Be sure to Pin and Share The Best Creamy Peanut Butter Fudge Recipe!

If you have never bitten into a piece of homemade fudge that was creamy and melt in your mouth delicious, then I urge you to print out the recipe below and make it ASAP!

More Old Fashioned Fudge Recipes

Old Fashioned Fudge Recipes are the best ones! Boiled sugar, milk and your favorite combination of flavors.

The Best Creamy Peanut Butter Fudge
Yield: 36 pieces

The Best Creamy Peanut Butter Fudge

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes

This Peanut Butter Fudge recipe is a sugar/milk solution boiled to soft ball stage, with butter, peanut butter and vanilla beaten in for the Best Creamy Peanut Butter Fudge you will ever make!

Ingredients

• 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 2/3 cup half and half
  • 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
  • 4 tbsp salted butter
  • 1 cup peanut butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla

Instructions

1. In large saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar, half and half and cream of tartar.
  2. Bring to a boil and cook until syrup reaches the soft ball stage (234 on a candy thermometer).
  3. Remove from heat and cool about 5 minutes.
  4. Add butter, peanut butter, and vanilla. Beat until thick but still pourable.
  5. Pour into an 8x8 pan lined with foil or parchment paper.
  6. Let cool until completely set. Cut into 36 pieces.

Recommended Products

As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.

Nutrition Information

Yield

Serving Size

1 piece

Amount Per Serving Calories 107Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 2gCarbohydrates 13gFiber 0gSugar 12gProtein 2g

Did you make this recipe?

Please leave a comment on the blog or share a photo on Instagram

1. Katrina October 20, 2018 at 11:26 am - Reply

Mmmm! I just might take this and change up the sugars to unrefined and maybe use coconut milk. And of course I imagine trying to drizzle some chocolate over the pieces. Sounds so good for a fudge deprived woman. ?

• Shelby October 20, 2018 at 3:29 pm - Reply

??? sorry your fudge deprived! I hope you can make it work out!! ❤️

2. Michele October 21, 2018 at 12:16 pm - Reply

My husband saw this recipe and said I MUST make this for Christmas. He is a huge peanut butter lover so this Peanut Butter Fudge recipe will be on my baking list this year. It looks incredible. The old-fashioned recipes are timeless classics that are so good they get passed down from generation to generation.

• Shelby October 22, 2018 at 7:55 am - Reply

Hi Michele, so glad your husband saw the recipe 🙂 It is so good its dangerous for me to have around! Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving your comment, it is much appreciated. I hope you and your husband enjoy this fudge!

3. Kerry Dennis December 9, 2018 at 9:13 pm - Reply

I to make peanut butter fudge many years ago but lost the recipe while moving. I saw your recipe and bells went off, I will be making this for my family for Christmas and thank you for having this “Old Fashioned Recipe” I am delighted to have found it.

• Shelby December 10, 2018 at 6:20 am - Reply

Hi Kerry! I am happy you found this recipe and hope you will enjoy it! Thank you for stopping by!

4. Lynn December 17, 2018 at 5:40 pm - Reply

After looking at numerous recipes for peanut butter fudge I decided on this one. I do have a candy thermometer and followed the directions exactly. I had everything ready before I started.
    The fudge was very crumbly and dry. Felt like I wasted a lot of time on something that was so “simple”. Back to the drawing board with a different recipe.

• Shelby December 17, 2018 at 6:40 pm - Reply

Hi Lynn, I’m sorry the recipe did not work out for you. Good luck in finding a recipe that will work for you.

• Jen January 7, 2019 at 11:07 pm - Reply

Lynn-
      At what elevation do you live? If higher than 500 hundred feet or so, then 234 deg is too hot and your “candy” gets over cooked and will turn out hard. It’s based on the temperature at which water boils at different elevations. At 4800 ft, water boils at a temp 8 deg cooler, or 204 deg, not the sea-level 212 deg. So i boil my fudge to 234 – 8 = 226 deg. You can google for water boiling point at your elevation and / or double check it by boiling water with your thermometer… I finally put the research in after 3 failed batches in Dec (ohh, many failed batches in years prior). The fourth batch there was another problem. 5th batch was it! Hope this is relevant.

• Shelby January 8, 2019 at 7:50 am - Reply

Hi Jen, thank you for your input!

5. Kala December 18, 2018 at 9:43 am - Reply

Turned out really good but Oh My Goodness is it Sweet! I’m wondering how much the sugar could be reduced by without compromising the recipe itself. Would the amounts of the other ingredients need to be adjusted?

• Shelby December 18, 2018 at 12:47 pm - Reply

Hi Kala, I have never tried reducing the sugar in fudge. I understand it’s sweet but we don’t consume much at a time when it is made. I feel like all fudge is super sweet (I always have to have a glass of water whenever I’ve eaten anything sweet!) I’m sorry I can’t tell you how it would affect the recipe if you did reduce the sugar. It may or may not work. If I get a chance to test it I will and will definitely update the post when that happens.

6. Cathy December 24, 2018 at 4:25 pm - Reply

Perfect first time! What a great recipe! I’ve been trying to replicate my father in laws peanut butter fudge for years and this is it! Thank you

• Shelby December 27, 2018 at 6:17 am - Reply

So happy this was a winner for you! Thank you for stopping by and letting me know!

7. […] would make chocolate fudge (her favorite) or peanut butter fudge almost every Saturday night to go with our popcorn. I don’t remember her making Brown Sugar […]

8. Miriah October 18, 2019 at 7:45 pm - Reply

9. […] Creamy Peanut Butter Fudge is Grumpy’s favorite fudge. This is the creamiest, most delicious peanut butter fudge ever. And, it’s basically a no fail recipe that does not include marshmallows! It is the only recipe I will make and it has 1 special ingredient that makes it the best! This always makes an appearance on our Christmas Cookie tray. […]