This Bourbon Onion Bacon Dog is sinfully good! A perfectly grilled snappy skin hot dog, covered with bourbon glazed onions and bacon topping is like heaven in your mouth. Finish off your hot dog with some thin slices of jalapeno pepper and you have that complete sweet heat deal going on!
This week the Sunday Supper Tastemakers are celebrating National Hot Dog Month! We decided that since serving hamburgers is synchronous with hot dogs, and are sharing our favorite recipes for juicy burgers and dogs this week! July 23 (yesterday!) was National Hot Dog Day, so if you missed the day, at least you can know you haven't missed the month yet and can still get your dog on!
A big thanks to Christie of A Kitchen Hoors Adventures for hosting this week's event!
As a child, when I ate a hotdog, I had to have ketchup on it. As I have grown up, I have moved away from ketchup and on to bourbon and bacon! I love an onion topping. The pushcart onions are one of my favorites, but I think these bourbon caramelized onions have become my very favorite!
The hotdog you eat makes all the difference also. You want a good quality hot dog. We prefer Ballpark Finest or Hofmann Hots. Something with a lot of flavor and a little snap when you bite into it!
Bourbon, butter, and bacon. The 3 essential B's! Sinful, delicious, and oh so irresistible!
When I make caramelized my onions, I sprinkle a little bit of brown sugar on top to give them a little sweeter flavor. Once they are caramelized, I deglazed my pan with the bourbon. Oh sweet heaven of smells! Top your dog with the onions and a few thin slices of jalapeno for heat. I'm all about that sweet heat so this was amazing for me!
Go ahead and grab a burger or dog and enjoy the remainder of National Hot Dog Month with the Sunday Supper Tastemakers. Be sure to check out the list of Juicy Burgers and Dogs that they have shared this week!
All Hot Dogs
Bourbon Onion Bacon Dog
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- 1 large onion sliced
- 4 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 4 hot dogs
- 4 hot dog buns
- Cook bacon. Crumble and set aside.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat in skillet. Add onion and cook until onions begin to brown.
- Add 1 tablespoon of maple syrup and stir into onions. Turn heat up and cook until onions begin to sizzle. Add bourbon (carefully!) to pan. This will cause the onions to bubble furiously. With caution, stir onions for about 1 minute while the bourbon cooks down and glazes the onions. Remove from heat.
- Serve onions over cooked hot dogs in buns and sprinkle with bacon and jalapeno slices (if using).
BOURBON ONION BACON DOG - PIN IT!