All the flavor without the carbs, this Low Carb Chili Dog Casserole is quick dish to put together, has great flavor and perfect for those summertime gatherings. Take this Chili Dog Casserole to a family reunion with a side of rolls for those who must have them!
This recipe is so easy to make and please both low carb dieters and non dieters alike! If you don't want to make your own chili, you can buy premade chili and use that to top the hotdogs before baking. Just be sure to read the labels first to make sure its low carb if your concerned about that!
Why a low carb Chili Dog Casserole?
I love chili dogs, and let's face it, I love the bun that goes with them just as much. But, one of the things you have to do to keep yourself in check sometimes, is to limit those things you love.
For me, carbs are one of the most addicting foods to put in my face. I'm one for the starchy carbs. You know, things like homemade bread, flour tortillas, pasta. I could go on and on. I love things like cookies, brownies (especially brownies!), and cupcakes too. But they aren't as tempting to me as a savory carb is.
Chili Dog Casserole FAQ's
Hot dogs are a processed food, which really makes them something you should not eat much of on the keto diet. They are also not zero carb as they do have some fillers in them. Read your packages and pick what is best and acceptable for your diet. People who eat dirty keto will consume hotdogs without concern. I would definitely go with an all beef hotdog if I were trying to stick close to the keto diet.
Leaving the kidney beans out of this recipe will not affect the deliciousness this casserole has to offer. You can easily just omit the beans and have a fewer carbs in the casserole!
All of that said, I wasn't so sure I would enjoy this casserole without the bun. I also wasn't sure Grumpy would want to eat it without a bun. However, I had no buns in the house. So he had no choice! He ate it and he enjoyed the flavor, but stated it would have been better for him with a biscuit topping! He was definitely in a casserole state of mind when making that comment! I had to remind him that would have added carbs to my low carb casserole!
How to assemble Chili Dog Casserole
It all starts with using the #BestBeef you can find. For us, that is Certified Angus Beef® brand. I went 90% lean ground beef sirloin and a low fat turkey hot dog to keep the fat in check.
Start with the base layer. Cut hot dogs in half and placing them in an 8 x 12 inch casserole dish.
Next, you bury your hot dogs with your chili mixture.
Cover the chili layer with reduced fat cheddar cheese and chopped onion. Then bake for 20-30 minutes.
Once it has baked so it is hot through and cheese is melted, remove from oven and serve!
What to serve with Chili Dog Casserole
This would be a different type of casserole to take to a family reunion, memorial day or july 4th picnic. Quick, easy, and your friends can serve themselves on a plate or in a bun!
Other great crowd friendly low carb recipes that I like to make and would fit great on a reunion table are Broccoli Salad - Keto Recipe, and BLT Bites. I also love this Low Carb Cauliflower Picnic Salad from Carrie's Experimental Kitchen!
Low Carb Chili Dog Casserole
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 8 low-fat turkey hot dogs
- 1 pound 90% lean Certified Angus Beef ground sirloin
- 1 cup diced onion divided
- 2 large cloves garlic diced
- 1 large large jalapeno diced (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar substitute or 2 tablespoons regular brown sugar
- 1 cup tomato or pasta sauce see notes
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 15 ounce chili beans in chili sauce
- ¾ cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup Cilantro , chopped for topping (optional)
- ¼ cup diced onion , for topping (optional)
- Brown the ground beef, garlic, ½ cup of the onion and the jalapeno pepper in large frying pan over medium high heat until very soft and tender. Drain off any fat from the pan.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, brown sugar, salt, Worcestershire, tomato sauce and beans. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Arrange hot dogs on the bottom of a baking dish. Cover with chili, scatter with cheese and top with remaining diced onion.
- Bake at 400 F until hot and bubbling, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve with chopped onion and cilantro if desired.
I found the carb counts. I must have been brain dead when I first looked. Sorry for the previous post. I will enjoy this; it looks so good.
Thank you again!
Thank you Shelbu. I don't see the carb counts; am I looking in the wrong place?
Thanks so much for your reply Shelby. Yes, I am still interested in nutrition info.
Hi Pam, I have updated this information. Thank you for your patience! I hope you enjoy the recipe 🙂
why don't you post nutritional info?? This recipe s no good for me without it and it looks great!!!???
Hi Pam, I am working on adding nutritional info to posts. I use myfitnesspal to calculate. This recipe is on my list to update because it's a low carb recipe. It will probably be updated in the very near future. Thanks for stopping by! I will contact you when this is updated in case your still interested.