Hot summer nights call for cool summer dinners! This Spinach Salad with Warm Bacon Dressing fits both of those bills, is delicious and healthy for you too!
While we were visiting my mom & dad's house a few weeks ago I saw a book lying on the counter that caught my eye. The cover wasn't super attractive, but I opened it up anyway and the photos in the book just blew me away. They immediately made me say "I must buy this cookbook!"
The next weekend while shopping I went straight to Borders and found the book! There are so many recipes I will be making from this book and I can't wait to share them. It is amazing how you can cut calories by eating very similar things right at home.
This salad that I made fit right into the South Beach Diet eating plan for phase 1 (which Grumpy and I are both following as of Monday). I upped the protein since it was going to be our main meal and because Grumpy has to have more substance than salad and a little bit of protein :o) He was skeptical because he's not a big raw spinach lover but he ate it anyway (did he have a choice? he he). He actually enjoyed the salad! It was delicious and filling. Definitely a keeper!
Spinach Salad with Warm Bacon Dressing
- Heat large skillet over medium heat. Cook the bacon 7 minutes, until crispy. Transfer to a paper towel on a plate and reserve.
- Add the onion and mushrooms to the hot pan and cook until the onions begin to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Season the shrimp with salt and pepper and add to the hot pan. Cook until shrimp are pink and firm, about 4 minutes.
- Stir the mustard and vinegar into the pan; season with salt and pepper. If the pan looks dry, add a splash of olive oil.
- To serve, top spinach with hot shrimp mixture and some of the liquid in the pan. Sprinkle with the bacon.