Mom's Cheese Ball Recipe is an easy appetizer recipe that is packed with cheese, hard boiled eggs, olives giving it great flavor. It can be shaped into a ball or cheese log, this easy cheese ball recipe makes a gorgeous classic holiday appetizer or a good cheese ball for your next party.
This is the best cheese ball and it was always one of the favorite appetizers the whole family looked forward to at holiday gatherings. Mom made this recipe for every Christmas Eve holiday party we had with Dad's family and it still is a an absolute must make recipe for any holiday party.
❤️ Why you'll love it
✔️ This homemade cheeseball is a super easy appetizer and can be made up to 4 days ahead of time.
✔️ You get the perfect blend of flavor and an added boost of protein with the hard boiled eggs, olives, and pimento as an ingredient.
✔️ It is easy to make a double batch for larger gatherings.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Shredded Cheese: Sharp cheddar cheese has the best flavor for this type of recipe. It is strong, bold, and firm.
Hard boiled eggs: this is part of the main ingredients in this recipe that gives it incredible flavor.
Red bell pepper
Green Olives with pimentos, a cheese ball with olives and pimento adds that green and red festive look!
Saltine crackers, works with the mayonnaise to bind the cheese ball together.
Mayonnaise, feel free to use regular or low fat mayonnaise.
- Add the grated cheese to a large mixing bowl. Add the onion, peppers, olives, pimentos, egg, crackers, and salt. Stir to combine
- With a wooden spoon, stir the mayonnaise to the cheese mixture and stir to combine.
- Shape cheese ball mixture into a ball shape or cheese log and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Roll cheese ball or log after wrapping to make uniform and refrigerate.
Store cheese balls in the fridge wrapped in plastic wrap or wax paper in an airtight freezer bag up to 5 days.
- After shaping, roll cheese ball in chopped pecans and or chopped bacon bits. Wrap and refrigerate.
- Use ½ teaspoon onion powder in place of the onion, or substitute with 2 tablespoons of green onions.
- Add ½ cup crumbled blue cheese for a tangy bite.
- Use black olives in place of the green olives and pimentos.
- Add 2 tablespoons minced jalapeno pepper in place of the bell pepper.
💭 Top Tip
- Don't use bagged pre-shredded cheese. To get the best flavor and texture, you will want to shred your own cheese using a box shredder.
For the most part, yes. However because of the type of ingredients used to make this particular recipe, I do not recommend doing so.
Yes, but expect the flavor to change. While sour cream and mayonnaise will perform the same function in this recipe, they both have very different distinct flavors.
📚 Related Recipes
🍽 Serve with...
This cheese ball is great served with carrot and celery sticks, buttery crackers, and pita chips.
🏫 The last word
Unlike the classic cheese ball recipe, this one is made without cream cheese, which is great for those who don't like it.
The saltines are important to add as they are part of what binds the cheeseball together.
Don't forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products!
When you make this recipe, please comment below and let me know what you think. I'd love it if you tag me on Instagram @grumpyshoneybunch or #grumpyshoneybunch so I can see your photos!
If you love this recipe, please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating
Mom's Easy Cheese Ball Recipe
- Add the grated cheese to a large mixing bowl. Add the onion, peppers, olives, pimentos, egg, crackers, and salt. Stir to combine.
- With a wooden spoon, stir the mayonnaise to the cheese mixture and stir to combine.Shape cheese ball mixture into a ball shape or cheese log and wrap tightly in plastic wrap.
- Roll cheese ball or log in wrapping to make uniform and refrigerate for 12 hours.