This Vegan Cheese Spread is a keto friendly, low carb, plant-based recipe made with tofu, nutritional yeast flakes, vegan mayonnaise, green and black olives, and scallions. It is a delicious alternative to dairy cheese spreads that is lower in fat, calories, and sodium.
Vegan Cheese Spread makes a tasty addition to the appetizer table and is great dairy free alternative to serve to vegan friends or those who are lactose intolerant.
The Origins of this Tofu Recipe
Growing up, often times our families would get together on a Friday or Saturday night to visit. During those visits, crackers, cheese, and sometimes sardines would come out to the table as we sat and enjoyed each other's company.
After my mom became a vegetarian, we started to become exposed to all types of recipes. Some we loved, and others we would rather not touch again! My mom introduced this Tofu Cheese Spread to me during a visit at her home about 30 years ago.
The recipe for this tofu cheese spread was given to my mom by one of her church friends. One of the things I loved about the recipe was it was very similar to one my mom would make for a cheese ball over the holidays every year. I loved it so much that I've kept it around and made it often with a few changes throughout the years and knew it was one to share in my new cookbook, the Pescatarian Keto!
What Vegan Cheese Spread Is Made With
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases from affiliate links.
Below is a list of what I use to make this Vegan Cheese Spread. Please see the recipe card for full instructions.
Nutritional Yeast Flakes. These are a vegans best friend when it comes to giving food a cheese like flavor. This is the brand I always have on hand.
Vegan Mayonnaise, this is my go to brand, whether vegan or regular!
Black and green olives
Tips and Recommendations
- If using tofu that is stored in water, be sure to press and drain the tofu before using it
- Substitute a silken firm tofu (does not need to be pressed)
- Replace the green pepper with another vegetable. Great items to use are jalapeno, shredded carrots, and red bell pepper
- Add a teaspoon of spice such as chipotle chili powder, regular chili powder, or Italian seasoning blend.
- Be sure to refrigerate the tofu spread for at least 4 hours before serving to allow the flavors to blend.
Other Tofu Recipes You May Like
*If you made this Vegan Cheese Spread, please give it a star rating*
Vegan Cheese Spread - Keto Low Carb Recipe
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Place the tofu between a layer of thick paper towels. Place a heavy pot on top of the tofu to press the water out. Allow to set for 10 minutes.
- Place the pressed tofu in a medium sized mixing bowl and mash until it resembles fine crumbles.
- Stir in the nutritional yeast flakes, vegan mayonnaise, celery, green onions, green olives, black olives, and salt. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.