This Beef Chili Recipe is a slight twist on the classic chili recipe with a sweet, smokey heat that makes your tastebuds happy. It is made with ground beef and a blend of chili seasonings with a touch of brown sugar. The rich flavors in this homemade chili will warm you up on the coldest of days.
Whether you are looking for a dinner recipe, or a recipe to serve at your next Superbowl party, this chili is a great choice for you to make. It is ready in just 30 minutes and is perfect with a Maple Cornbread Muffin or for dipping scoopable chips into.
Beef Chili Recipe for the win
Beef Chili is a recipe that is usually at every Superbowl party table. It is known for its hearty flavor and ease of serving. Plus, it can be eaten with scoopable chips, meaning you don't even need a spoon making it perfect party finger food.
We are huge fans of chili and especially fans of a smokey chipotle flavor combined with just enough touch of sweet to make the flavor explode in your mouth. We don't have to have a party to enjoy this chili recipe, as a matter of fact, you will see this on our table at least 3-4 times a month in the cold weather.
Tips for making the best Beef Chili Recipe
- Many people will drain the fat from their beef after it has cooked. I recommend you do not do so. The fat adds flavor to your recipe and it does not hurt you to keep it in the recipe.
- Make sure you cook the beef with the spices only for the time indicated. I feel this gives the meat time to really take in the chili flavor and deepens it.
- If you're not sure about the heat level, just add half of the chipotle chili powder first. Then give it a taste test and add the rest if you feel you can handle the heat. The chipotle is where most of the spice is going to come from in this recipe.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases from affiliate links.
What you need to make this recipe
Ground Beef: Use a good quality ground beef for the best flavor.
Chili Seasonings: Use a good quality chili powder, chipotle, and cumin powder. I also like to use oregano and of course, salt and pepper.
Beans: I use kidney beans, but have used black beans and pinto beans.
Beef Broth: I usually use beef broth. But, you can also use chicken broth if that is all you happen to have on hand.
Stock Pot: You will need at least a 6-quart stockpot for this beef chili recipe.
Canned Tomatoes: I use whole tomatoes with their juice because I can my tomatoes at home. Canned diced tomatoes will work also.
Best Chili Toppings ever
- Chopped Cilantro
- Chopped Tomatoes
- Diced Avocado
- Diced Jalapenos
- Shredded Cheddar or Monterey Jack Cheese
- Sliced scallions
- Sour Cream
- Homemade Salsa
Make this recipe your own
- Instead of beef broth, add an 8 ounce can of tomato sauce
- Use a taco seasoning packet in place of the chili spices
- Leave out the beans and increase the amount of beef to 1.5 pounds.
- Use half ground beef and half spicy Italian sausage
Make this a low carb chili recipe
I am feeding two diets in our home. The keto diet and a regular diet. So, for that reason, I am always making adjustments to my recipes to allow them to suit the keto lifestyle. Make this recipe keto by doing the following:
- Use ½ of an onion instead of a whole one. Onions are higher in carbs and a little can go a long way with flavor.
- Use a brown sugar substitute, or leave it out of the recipe entirely.
- Eliminate the beans from the recipe.
Other Chili Recipes you may like
Beef and Butternut Chili is made with boneless chuck steak and butternut squash giving a great flavor and texture combination.
Roasted Garlic Meatball Chili is an easy make that is delicious served over cauliflower fried rice.
Cincinnati Style Chili is served over pasta noodles and topped with plenty of cheese and onions.
Black Bean Chili is another beef chili recipe that is full of peppers, garlic, and black beans.
Beef isn't the only red meat to use in chili. This Venison and White Bean Chili will help you with recipes you may need for the venison in your freezer.
White Chicken Chili has a different blend of spices to liven up your bowl.
This recipe for Buffalo Chicken Chili brings the delicious buffalo flavors to your bowl.
Spicy Sweet Chili Bowl brings the flavors of smoked paprika to your chili.
Venison Chili has a delicious blend of chili seasonings, a touch of brown sugar, and is great on a serving of Loaded Nachos.
*If you made this Beef Chili Recipe, please give it a star rating*
Beef Chili Recipe
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 5 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ tablespoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1-½ cup beef broth
- 14.5 ounce whole peeled tomatoes with their juice
- 15.5 ounce kidney beans rinsed and drained
- Heat the olive oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat until hot. Add the ground beef and chop with a spoon to crumble.
- Cook the beef until it begins to brown. Add the onion and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes more, or until the onion has softened and the beef is browned.
- Stir in the chili powder, cumin powder, chipotle powder, oregano, salt, and pepper. Cook stirring occasionally for 2 minutes.
- Add the beef broth to the beef mixture and stir to combine. Stir in the beans and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Add the tomato paste and stir to combine.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the chili has thickened.
Leave a comment