You can do as I did and try this with coconut sugar or just use regular granulated sugar. You could even try brown sugar if you like the caramel effect. The doughnuts themselves without the glaze are only slightly sweet and are fine that way too.
I had a hankering for some browned butter rum glazing though so I did a naughty thing and used confectioner's sugar, butter and rum to make my glaze. I have to find a way to make a glazing that will be lower on the glycemic index also. I'm sure there is and I will find it!
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 very ripe banana, mashed
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons soured milk
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- For the Glaze:
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray non-stick 6 count doughnut baking pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk together dry ingredients and set aside. In a small bowl, mash together the banana, sugar, soured milk, egg, and coconut extract.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until just combined.
- Fill pan three quarters of the way full in each well. Bake for 12 minutes or until golden and doughnut bounces back when slightly pressed.
- Let cool on cooling rack for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely before frosting.
- To make the glaze, melt butter on stove top over low heat. Continue to cook (watch this carefully or it will burn) until butter just begins to form brown specks. Remove from heat.
- Add ½ cup of powdered sugar to the butter. Stir, mixture will be dry and crumbly. Add rum, 1 tablespoon at a time. Add remaining sugar until it becomes of easily spreading and/or dipping consistency - whatever your preference.
These sound absolutely divine! I am going to have to break down and order a donut pan so I can give these a try!
Maggie Burgdorf Roush
Oh my goodness! I can't even begin to describe how good this sounds to me.
Darn, I thought I left a comment to thank you for sharing this b/c they really perked up my afternoon yesterday! I must have forgot to hit "publish." Thanks again - these were yummy!
Ohh su muffins... luce muy delicioso me encanta,abrazos
G'day! These so remind me of childhood food fun! YUM!
I know I'd love these and especially since they're baked!