This easy Apple Crisp recipe has a delicious apple cinnamon flavor and a crispy, chewy, brown sugar and oatmeal topping that is absolutely delicious! That makes this the Best Apple Crisp I ever made!
When I think of apple crips, I think of my school days. With the sweet thickened apples and that crispy, chewy, and absolutely delicious crumb topping. I would take the dessert for the topping alone, I loved it that much!
Making a dessert to please myself
I belive most of my readers who come by here on a regular basis know that I am not the picky one in our household. However, there are a few things I am picky about.
One food I am picky about is Apple Crisp. I like my apple crisp to taste just the apple crisp we would get in the school cafeteria when I was a little girl. If Apple Crisp was on the menu, then you better bet I was buying my lunch that day, no matter what it was!
What makes this the best Apple Crisp Recipe I ever made
The Apples: You want a juicy apple. One of my favorite apples to use is the Honeycrisp Apple. Actually, its one of the only ones I really want to buy when apple season is here. Other apples that would work well would be a tart apple such as the cortland, a golden delicious, or Granny Smith apple.
The crisp topping: butter, brown sugar, flour, and oats are a requirement for a yummy topping. You need the right amount of all these things to get the best result!
Tips and substitutions
- Don't skip peeling the apples and make sure they are thinly sliced.
- If peeling the apples ahead of time, toss prepared apples with lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Substitute 1 tablespoon of apple cider for the water.
- Substitute 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg for the cinnamon, or use ½ teaspoon cinnamon and ½ teaspoon nutmeg.
Other delicious apple desserts you may like
Apple Upside Down Cake is a delicious fall treat with caramelized apple topping once the cake is flipped.
Apple Dutch Baby is a delicious German style pancake full of apple and cinnamon. It's gluten free also!
Mom's Apple Pie in a Jar is a great recipe to make when preserving apples. Just open the jar and bake the filling in a pie crust!
Salted Caramel Apple Cake is a delicious dense cake with quarter apples and a salted caramel topping.
Caramel Apple Cheese Danish has a cream cheese and apple filling baked in a pastry braid.
Homemade Apple Fritters are a good old fashioned take on a homemade doughnut, only its full of apples!
Hot Fireball Apple Cider is a hot beverage that will warm you up!
The Best Apple Crisp
- 6 cups peeled cored, and sliced Honeycrisp apples,
- ½ cups white sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon water
- ¾ cup whole oats
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium sized bowl, toss apples with ½ cup sugar, cinnamon, and water. Transfer the apple mixture to an 8×8 pan sprayed with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, add the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir to combine . Pour the melted butter over the flour mixture and stir until the flour is moist.
- Crumble the topping with fingers over top of sliced apples until apples are entirely covered.
- Bake 35 minutes, or until top is golden brown and filling is bubbling up through the sides of the crisp.
- Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or topping of your choice.