This easy Apple Crisp recipe has a delicious apple cinnamon flavor and a crispy, chewy, brown sugar and oatmeal topping that is absolutely delicious! That makes this the Best Apple Crisp I ever made!
When I think of apple crips, I think of my school days. With the sweet thickened apples and that crispy, chewy, and absolutely delicious crumb topping. I would take the dessert for the topping alone, I loved it that much!
Making a dessert to please myself
I belive most of my readers who come by here on a regular basis know that I am not the picky one in our household. However, there are a few things I am picky about.
One food I am picky about is Apple Crisp. I like my apple crisp to taste just the apple crisp we would get in the school cafeteria when I was a little girl. If Apple Crisp was on the menu, then you better bet I was buying my lunch that day, no matter what it was!
What makes this the best Apple Crisp Recipe I ever made
The Apples: You want a juicy apple. One of my favorite apples to use is the Honeycrisp Apple. Actually, its one of the only ones I really want to buy when apple season is here. Other apples that would work well would be a tart apple such as the cortland, a golden delicious, or Granny Smith apple.
The crisp topping: butter, brown sugar, flour, and oats are a requirement for a yummy topping. You need the right amount of all these things to get the best result!
Tips and substitutions
- Don't skip peeling the apples and make sure they are thinly sliced.
- If peeling the apples ahead of time, toss prepared apples with lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Substitute 1 tablespoon of apple cider for the water.
- Substitute 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg for the cinnamon, or use ½ teaspoon cinnamon and ½ teaspoon nutmeg.
Other delicious apple desserts you may like
Apple Upside Down Cake is a delicious fall treat with caramelized apple topping once the cake is flipped.
Apple Dutch Baby is a delicious German style pancake full of apple and cinnamon. It's gluten free also!
Mom's Apple Pie in a Jar is a great recipe to make when preserving apples. Just open the jar and bake the filling in a pie crust!
Salted Caramel Apple Cake is a delicious dense cake with quarter apples and a salted caramel topping.
Caramel Apple Cheese Danish has a cream cheese and apple filling baked in a pastry braid.
Homemade Apple Fritters are a good old fashioned take on a homemade doughnut, only its full of apples!
Hot Fireball Apple Cider is a hot beverage that will warm you up!
The Best Apple Crisp
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 6 cups peeled cored, and sliced Honeycrisp apples,
- ½ cups white sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon water
- ¾ cup whole oats
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium sized bowl, toss apples with ½ cup sugar, cinnamon, and water. Transfer the apple mixture to an 8×8 pan sprayed with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, add the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir to combine . Pour the melted butter over the flour mixture and stir until the flour is moist.
- Crumble the topping with fingers over top of sliced apples until apples are entirely covered.
- Bake 35 minutes, or until top is golden brown and filling is bubbling up through the sides of the crisp.
- Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or topping of your choice.
I made this tonight and I have to say it's the BEST Apple Crisp I've ever had! Easy to make, not too sweet...totally yummy! Thank you so much or the great recipe!
This sounds like the perfect recipe for fall. Thank you for sharing.
Shelby that apple crisp does look really good. I think I'll make if the next time Jim's family comes over if I can get this house back in order. Renovations suck!
Lana @ Never Enough Thyme
Wow, Shelby! That apple crisp look amazing! It's almost apple picking season here in north Georgia. I can't wait to get some good fresh apples and make your crisp.
I love apple crisp! There's something about the topping that I think is the best!!
Lol.. I hate getting dirty too! Love your crisp!
I can almost taste the goodness of this. I can't stand to be dirty either. Thanks.
PS I don't like to get dirt under my fingernail either. My mom tells me when I was little I would always hold my hands up to get washed.
I love apple crisp even for breakfast.
It's been too long since I've had apple crisp. This one sounds fantastic.
I love apple crisp, and this one looks fantastic! I didn't know you cook cook with honeycrisp...great to know 🙂