Shrimp Fra Diavolo with Spinach

Last month when I was browsing Margaret’s blog for recipes to make for the Secret Recipe Club I realized that she not only loves her tea and scones but she love her shrimp and pasta!  My kind of girl 🙂  When I saw that she had made this Shrimp Fra Diavolo with Spinach for the Cooking Ellie group I knew then and there I would be making that dish..

I have been in a blogging slump again.  Mostly because believe it or not, we just aren’t eating anything new that I want to post about.  We have been following the guidlines for Grumpy’s diabetic diet pretty faithfully which has cut a lot of high carb and baked goods out of our life.  Instead we are having protien smoothies and lots of fresh fruit and veggies throughout the day and for dinner usually a quick and easy throw together meal and several of them ones that I have posted here throughout the years such as the Red & White Cauliflower Bake which Grumpy devours like crazy and I think its funny because its a tofu dish!  Because we are both pasta lovers it is hard to not make at least a couple meals a week with pasta so I decided to make them as healthy as I possibly could and I have been using the Dreamfields pasta.

Shrimp Fra Diavolo with Spinach

This dish was full of flavor and I will definitely keep it on my list of shrimp/pasta dishes to make.  I love that its healthy and delicious!

I am submitting this post to Presto Pasta Nights being hosted this week by Stash of Simple Kitchen Seasons.  You still have time to submit if you want to join in.

Shrimp Fra Diavolo with Spinach
  • 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 3 cups baby spinach
Instructions
  1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.  Add the pasta and cook until al dente and according to the directions on the package.
  2. While the pasta is cooking, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.  Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes.  Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 additional minute.  Add the tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, the oregano, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.  Simmer until the sauce thickens slightly, 8 to 10 minutes.  Add the shrimp and spinach and cook, stirring, until the shrimp is just cooked through, about 5 minutes.  Remove from the heat.  Add the drained cooked pasta to the sauce and toss until well combined.

1. Katie's blog May 31, 2012 at 1:33 pm - Reply

Looks yummy!! My mother in law made the same thing last night for diner!

• Shelby June 1, 2012 at 9:12 am - Reply

Thanks Katie, it was yummy! 🙂 It was a nice change from the alfredo type sauces that Grumpy prefers and we will definitely have it again.

2. bellini May 31, 2012 at 2:17 pm - Reply

Good for you for sticking to the plan Shelby. Pasta is definitely versatile and this dish looks delish.

3. Ruth Daniels May 31, 2012 at 2:49 pm - Reply

We seem to have been in a rut of repeats ourselves… all delicious – but not necessarily worth repeating. That said, you've made a variation on one of my favorite pastas. Thanks for sharing your shrimp Diavolo with Presto Pasta Nights. It just might be what's on our table tonight.

• Shelby June 1, 2012 at 9:14 am - Reply

Grumpy hates it when I get in a "repeat rut" but until he starts cooking himself he has to deal with it until I get inspired. ha ha. Hope you enjoyed if its what you made!

4. Kathleen May 31, 2012 at 5:16 pm - Reply

Looks delicious! I hear you about a blogging slump!

5. Rae June 1, 2012 at 1:19 pm - Reply

Hi Shelby! I found this recipe via Pinterest. It looks really good!! I am not a "regular cooker" and I have to follow recipes exactly and literally. Couple of questions: the recipe calls for adding "the tomatoes, wine, tomato paste" and I don't see these items listed in the ingredients. What amount do I need of each of these items? Thanks so much for your help!

Rachel

• Shelby June 2, 2012 at 12:03 pm - Reply

Hi Rae! I have updated the recipe. My bad! I just automatically typed what I saw not what I used and missed the tomatoes! lol I used chicken broth instead of wine as I don't have white wine in the house too often. Either would be good!

• Rae June 8, 2012 at 9:26 pm - Reply

Thanks Shelby! I can't wait to try this out… 🙂

6. Renee Paj May 13, 2014 at 1:12 pm - Reply

This looks amazing Shelby! Dreamfield's pasta is pretty amazing too! I know my family would LOVE me if I made this for them for dinner one night! YUM!

7. Miriah October 24, 2019 at 5:24 pm - Reply