Spicy Sweet Chili Bowl

Who doesn’t love a big ole bowl of Spicy Sweet Chili? Full of chili flavor with a hit of sweet brown sugar. This chili, made with 80% lean ground Certified Angus Beef is finished off with shredded colby cheese, chopped avocado, and cilantro. Great served up with chips or cornbread for a delicious #bestbeef chili recipe on game-day!

Spicy Sweet Chili

Grumpy and I both love this chili recipe. It has just enough heat, just enough sweet, and is so addicting. Everytime I make it Grumpy helps himself to a second serving and every time he eats this recipe he informs me that it has the perfect amount of sweet to counteract the spicy. I’ve done it. I’ve completely sold the man, after 9 years, that sweet heat is the best!

spicy sweet chili bowl
My favorite mixture of chili spices are chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, and chili pepper flakes. I top it all off with a tablespoon of Truvia. The amount I use is perfect for us spice wise. If you’re not into too much spice, I suggest starting with half of the spices, then add more to taste as needed.
Spicy Sweet Chili

I also love to serve cornbread with chili. However, being that we are really cutting down on our carbs right now, I decided to not make cornbread this time and topped my chili with avocado to make it more special!

Spicy Sweet Chili

However, since not everyone is cutting out carbs, I want to share with you some of my favorite cornbread recipes! Which one would you try first with this chili?

Spicy Sweet Chili
Author: Grumpy’s Honeybunch
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 8 servings
Ingredients
  • 1 lb 80% lean Certified Angus Beef
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
  • 2 large garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 green pepper, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar substitute (such as truvia)
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 1- 28 ounce can petite diced canned tomatoes
  • 6 ounces tomato paste
  • 2 cups water
  • Shredded Cheddar Cheese
  • Chopped Cilantro
  • Chopped Avocado
Instructions
  1. Cook beef over medium heat until brown. Drain fat. Add onion, garlic, and green pepper, salt and pepper and cook until beef is browned. Stir in chili powder, chili flakes, smoked paprika and brown sugar. Cook over heat for one minute, stirring constantly.
  2. Add tomatoes, water, and tomato paste. Simmer approximately 20 minutes, uncovered. Serve topped with shredded colby cheese, chopped avocado, and chopped cilantro.

PIN IT – Spicy Sweet Chili Bowl

Spicy Sweet Chili Bowl

1. Pegasuslegend January 17, 2011 at 12:01 am - Reply

Oh my, we just got done eating and this is making me want to make some more room to eat ! So yummy looking!

2. vanillasugar January 17, 2011 at 12:03 am - Reply

ms shelby, hello. i must have this now.
    lol
    next time you make this, try baking the cornbread with the chili on top, almost like a bread bowl but a bread square pan. its to die for

3. ann January 17, 2011 at 12:37 am - Reply

Yum. That sweet chili idea is so great. I am dying to try this.

4. Treehouse Chef January 17, 2011 at 12:38 am - Reply

Chocolate and Chili? Sounds very interesting. I will give this a try. I need more adventure in the kitchen. Thanks for sharing!

5. Carolyn January 17, 2011 at 1:18 am - Reply

For some reason, I can't photograph cookies very well. A good, uncontrived set-up for them eludes me! But I have to say, this souns delicious. I am a little in love with the chocolate/chili combo these days. And you did a great job photographing this, maybe Donna can borrow your pics 😉

6. Pam January 17, 2011 at 2:54 am - Reply

The chili and the cornbread both have me craving some right now!

7. Jamie January 17, 2011 at 3:10 am - Reply

I know what you mean about delicious dishes that are hard to photograph. Bit your chili and cornbread look fantastic. I love the addition of chocolate to chili. Really gives it a deeper flavor. And I love corn bread. Can't wait to try both of these recipes. Thanks for sharing.

8. Suzanne January 17, 2011 at 3:13 am - Reply

Wow, this looks sooooo YUM! Anything "chile", "chili" and says "cornbread" gets my vote. I'm definitely putting this one on the menu!

9. Lisa January 17, 2011 at 3:57 am - Reply

Wow, this looks like a really delicious dish. I think I'd enjoy that brown sugar cornbread.

10. Flourchild January 17, 2011 at 4:12 am - Reply

I think this looks really good..I wonder what it would taste like with a Sees chocolate in it..ha ha!! I like the idea of chocolate and chili..it's sweet anyways, so Im sure chocolate would add a real good punch of flavor!
    Thank you for sharing your Valentine tradition with me! Ilove that G. hides your gift!!

11. theUngourmet January 17, 2011 at 4:53 am - Reply

I know just what you…and Donna mean about the crummy food photos. Some dishes are so difficult! Wow! I've never tasted chili with chocolate. Very interesting! I'll have to give it a try. 😉 Have a wonderful week!

12. bellini valli January 17, 2011 at 12:23 pm - Reply

This is no longer an "ugly duckling" food Shelby, it photographed beautifully. It also seems like it would taste good too!!!!

13. Maria January 17, 2011 at 2:41 pm - Reply

Love that cornbread recipe!

14. Fallon January 17, 2011 at 4:18 pm - Reply

Chocolate in the chili? That is amazing! What a wonderful looking meal.

15. Gera@SweetsFoodsBlog January 17, 2011 at 6:12 pm - Reply

You've of best of the 2 worlds in the same package in the first dish swweet-spicy and the cornbread muffins wow – love all the menu 🙂

Have a great week!

Gera

16. briarrose January 17, 2011 at 7:49 pm - Reply

Brown sugar cornbread….oh yummy. I'm pretty sure that should be against the law. 😉 I do love a sweet cornbread.

17. SMITH BITES January 17, 2011 at 9:18 pm - Reply

Lawd delivah me!! Swoon-WORTHY!!!

18. teresa January 17, 2011 at 10:39 pm - Reply

i'm constantly being inspired by fellow bloggers, it's one of the best part about having a food blog!

this looks delicious, and the sound of that cornbread is divine!

19. Grace January 18, 2011 at 1:54 am - Reply

It's been so cold here this chili would be great, warm me up inside and I am loving your cornbread. Isn't crazy holding off a good recipe because we can't seem to get that perfect pic. We all forget that when it comes down to it it's the taste that we all crave. Btw your pics are fab, you snapped a perfect pic, especially the melted cheese and the colour of the herb is so vibrant.

20. Kat January 18, 2011 at 4:15 am - Reply

Yum! Hard to beat chili and cornbread on a cold night.

21. Kirstin January 19, 2011 at 4:50 am - Reply

Oh my goodness! These sound amazing. I made some banana nut cornbread that is absolutely amazing.s

22. marla September 9, 2011 at 1:22 pm - Reply

Perfect I added the link to today's post…thanks so much!

23. […] Spicy Sweet Chili and Brown Sugar The Life’s and Love’s of Grumpy’s Honeybunch […]

24. Jersey Girl Cooks January 19, 2017 at 10:55 pm - Reply

Sweet heat is the best! And I think I would go with the jalapeno cornbread. A great winter meal!

25. Anonymous January 9, 2020 at 10:52 am - Reply