This recipe for the Million Dollar Burger is a delicious sandwich made with a golden flaky biscuit topped with a beef burger studded with feta cheese and served with a cool cucumber salad and sweet and tangy braised red onions.
❤️ Why you'll love the Million Dollar Burger
Incredible flavors: from the rich wine braised sweet and tangy onions to the cooling dilled cucumber salad and salty feta cheese, these million dollar burgers have the most incredible flavor combination.
Simple ingredients: while the recipe seems fancy, it is made with simple ingredients and of course, is simplified by using a biscuit for the bun!
30 Minute Meal: while the onions are braising, you bake the biscuits, make the cucumber salad, and cook the burgers. By the time you are done with the burgers the sandwich is ready for assembly!
Red onion: adds color and flavor to the sandwich.
Red wine vinegar: contributes to the tanginess of the onion topping.
Dry Red wine: a dry red table wine works best.
Grape Jelly: I like to make my own grape jam, so I used that, but you can use store bought jam or jelly.
Sour cream: combined with the mayonnaise for a cool refreshing cucumber salad.
Mayonnaise: contributes flavor to the cucumber dressing.
Dill weed: this adds a freshness combined with the cucumber and sour cream
Onion powder: adds flavor
Beau Monde seasoning (optional): this is similar to an umami seasoning.
English cucumber: this type of cucumber has no seeds and is best for this recipe.
Pillsbury Grands Flaky Layers: be sure to buy the grands, or the bun size will be too small.
Lean ground beef: I used 80/20 ratio
Feta cheese: I like to buy this in the brick and crumble it up myself. You can also buy the crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In large skillet over medium heat, cook onion, vinegar, wine, and jelly over for 20 minutes, stirring frequently, until onion is tender and sauce is reduced and thickened.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix sour cream, mayonnaise, dill weed, onion powder, Beau Monde seasoning (if using) and cucumber. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, salt, and pepper. Shape into 8 equal portions, set on a plate and set aside.
- When oven has preheated, bake biscuits as directed on can.
- Cook beef patties in grill pan, contact grill or nonstick skillet until internal temperature reads 160°F.
- Split biscuits in half and spread 2 to 3 tablespoons cucumber mixture on bottom of each biscuit. Top with beef patty, onion mixture, feta cheese, and biscuit tops.
Refrigerate: store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge up to 5 days.
- The original recipe combines the feta cheese with the burger. I like to serve it on top of the burger. If you want it like the original, then mix the feta in with the ground beef.
- Sub a regular burger bun for the biscuit.
- Use grape juice or non-alcoholic wine in place of the red wine.
- Be sure to buy the Pillsbury grands biscuits. I don't recommend a no name brand as I have never had good luck with them. Pillsbury biscuits are bigger and sturdier and when baked, they will hold up well to the burger and fillings.
📚 Related Recipes
If you're looking for a delicious comfort food meal, try this Braised Pork Chops with Gravy.
Check out my favorite pork chop recipes!
This Wine Braised Short Rib Pizza is out of this world delicious!
Buffalo Chicken Baseballs are another great recipe made with a can of crescent roll dough.
Fans of caramelized onions will love these French Onion Grilled Cheese sandwiches!
🍽 Serve with...
Serve with a side of lettuce, slice of tomato, and remaining cucumber mixture. You can also serve with a side of french fries or onion rings.
The Last Word
This sandwich was chosen as a finalist entry for the Pillsbury Bake Off back in 2010 and was submitted by my friend Susie Littlewood!
While this wasn't chosen as the winning recipe, more than 10 years later, it was a winner in my home as my family still enjoys this burger on the dinner table
Don't forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products!
When you make this recipe, please comment below and let me know what you think. I'd love it if you tag me on Instagram @grumpyshoneybunch or #grumpyshoneybunch so I can see your photos!
If you love this recipe, please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating
Million Dollar Burger
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 large red onion , sliced
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup red wine
- ½ cup grape jam
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¾ teaspoon dill weed
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon Beau Monde seasoning , optional
- 1 medium English cucumber , finely diced
- 16.3 ounces Pillsbury Grands Flaky Layers biscuits , 8 biscuits
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- dash salt
- dash black pepper
- Heat oven to 350°F. In 10-inch skillet, cook onion, vinegar, wine and jelly over medium heat about 20 minutes, stirring frequently, until onion is tender and sauce is reduced and thickened.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, mix sour cream, mayonnaise, dill weed, onion powder, Beau Monde seasoning and cucumber. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Bake biscuits as directed on can. Meanwhile, in large bowl, mix beef, cheese, salt and pepper. Shape mixture into 8 patties, ½ inch thick. Cook patties in grill pan, contact grill or nonstick skillet until meat thermometer inserted in center reads 160°F.
- Split biscuits. Spread 2 to 3 tablespoons cucumber mixture on bottom of each biscuit. Top with burger, onion mixture and biscuit tops. Serve with tomato, lettuce and remaining cucumber mixture.