Mexican Street Corn Salad is a side dish recipe also known as Esquites. The salad is made with the ingredients of Mexican Street Corn on the Cob served in a bowl. It is a great recipe to serve alongside burgers, chicken, or steaks, for summer barbecues.
This Mexican Street Corn Salad Recipe is made with seasoned grilled corn cut from the cob, jalapeno, scallions, and cilantro and covered with a lime dressing. It brings the flavors of smoky sweet heat all together in one bite.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases from affiliate links.
Corn on the cob, grilled with a slight char on some of the kernels.
Everything but the Elote is a seasoning blend I buy at Trader Joes. You can also buy it here. This is basically all the seasoning flavors you would put on Mexican Street Corn. The seasoning blend is made of chile pepper, Parmesan cheese, chipotle powder, cumin, dried cilantro, and sea salt.
Cojita Cheese is an aged Mexican cheese made with cows milk. It is dry, crumbly, and very salty.
Jalapeno adds heat to the salad.
Cilantro is a fresh herb that pairs well with the flavors in this salad. It especially goes well with the lime and lime zest in the salad dressing
Salad dressing made of lime juice, mayonnaise, and lime zest.
Tips and Substitutions
- Watch the corn carefully as it grills. If using an actual grill, it will take less time than it will if a grill pan is used. I used a grill pan in the video, but normally would use a grill. I just don't have one that works at the moment so did the next best thing.
- Cut the kernels off the cob and do a quick saute in a hot skillet with the oil.
- Substitute 1 teaspoon chili powder, ½ teaspoon cumin, 1 tbsp parmesan cheese, and 1 tsp salt for the Everything but the Elote seasoning.
- Use a sharp knife when cutting the corn from the cob. Put the stalk end down and start from the bottom, cutting down.
- If the Mexican Corn Salad needs more seasoning, add another teaspoon of Everything but the Elote to it.
This Mexican Street Corn can be a side dish to any of your favorite grilled proteins or Mexican dishes. I like to serve it with these Cheese Enchiladas with Red Sauce or Easy Green Chicken Enchilada Recipe - low carb. It also makes a great dish for potluck gatherings and summer picnics.
Don't forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products!
When you make this recipe, please comment below and let me know what you think. I'd love it if you tag me on Instagram @grumpyshoneybunch or #grumpyshoneybunch so I can see your photos!
If you love this recipe, please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating
Mexican Street Corn Salad
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 4 ears corn husked
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ tablespoon Everything but the Alote divided
- ⅓ cup scallions, white and green parts chopped
- ⅓ cup cotija cheese
- ⅓ cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1 jalapeno diced
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 clove garlic
- 1½ tablespoon mayonnaise
- zest of 1 lime
- Preheat the grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush the corn with olive oil and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the everything but the alote.
- Grill for 2 minutes per side, or until char marks form. Remove the corn from the grill and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the mayo, garlic, lime zest and juice. Set aside.
- Slice the kernels off the corn and place in a large mixing bowl. Add the scallions, cotija, cilantro, and jalapeno. Pour the dressing over top of the salad mixture and toss to combine.