These vegetarian Low Carb Barbecue Beef Pinwheels are perfect appetizers for all those forthcoming Game nights! A vegetarian version so delicious that everyone will enjoy them!
Why I love This Recipe
✔️ Barbecue Beef Pinwheels are great finger foods to make and serve for game day or when entertaining.
✔️ Two pinwheels are only 3 net carbs!
✔️ They are easy to make ahead of time and reheat in the oven just before serving.
Part-Skim Mozzarella cheese
Full fat cream cheese
Frozen, cooked Veggie Burgers
Sugar Free Barbecue Sauce
3 cheese blend
I used leftover grilled veggie burgers in my recipe. These burgers are substantial in size so I would only needed a couple of burgers to make these pinwheels!
How To Make Low Carb Dough
Making this low carb dough is so easy. This recipe is all over the internet in many forms. This particular method I found over at Ditch the Carbs and it is the best way to make the dough work the way I need it to when making anything that needs to be rolled or shaped.
I mix everything except the egg together in a microwaveable bowl and microwave for a couple of minutes. Once I stir it and have it all combined well, I add the egg. Adding the egg to a hot mixture might sound crazy, but believe me, it really does work! This dough comes out smooth and so easy to work with!
Use parchment paper to roll out the low-carb dough and as a guide when rolling up to make your pinwheels! This prevents tearing and makes it easier to keep its shape
- Divide the dough in half before rolling out so you don't have oversized pinwheels.
- Thinner is better! Be sure to roll the dough out thin.
- Sprinkle the filling over top of the dough then spread the filling out and pack it in with a spoon.
- Use a very sharp knife to slice your pinwheels and be gentle but firm when cutting.
- Meat eaters can substitute cooked ground beef for the veggie burgers.
- Substitute buffalo sauce for the barbecue sauce
- Sprinkle the top of the veggie beef mixture with chopped cilantro before rolling.
- Substitute Mom's Vegetarian Meatballs (cooked) for the veggie meat.
Store any leftover BBQ Beef Spirals in the refrigerator up to 3 days and in the freezer up to 3 months.
These Barbecue Beef Spirals can be made ahead of time and reheated in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, until warmed through.
BBQ Veggie Pulled Pork Potato Skins
Vegetarian Chicken Fried Steaks
Vegetarian Tostadas - Mom's
Vegan Steak Recipe with Vital Wheat Gluten
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases from affiliate links.
Don't forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products!
When you make this recipe, please comment below and let me know what you think. I'd love it if you tag me on Instagram @grumpyshoneybunch or #grumpyshoneybunch so I can see your photos!
If you love this recipe, please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating
Low Carb Barbecue "Beef" Spirals
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
For the Dough:
- 6 ounces part-skim mozzarella shreds
- 2 ounces full fat cream cheese , cubed
- 3 ounces super fine almond flour
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg , beaten
For the Filling:
- 2 MorningStar Farms® Meat Lovers Burgers or Veggie Lovers Burgers
- 4 tablespoons sugar free barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons diced jalapeno
- ½ cup 3 cheese blend pre-shredded
To make the Barbecue "Beef" filling
- Crumble the veggie burger into small pieces and place in a small mixing bowl. Add barbecue sauce and jalapenos. Stir to combine. Set aside.
To Make the Dough
- Place part-skim mozzarella cheese, cream cheese, almond flour, garlic powder, and salt in microwave safe bowl and toss to combine. Place in microwave and cook on high power for 2 minutes. Remove from microwave and stir to combine. Mixture should turn into an elastic ball similar to bread dough.
- Add beaten egg to dough and stir until completely combined. Once combined you will have a smooth ball of dough that should be easy to handle.
To assemble the beef spirals
- Divide dough in half. Set one half aside and cover with a damp paper towel. Place other half on parchment paper and flatten with hands. Place another piece of parchment paper on top and roll out into a rectangle shape, about 4" x 8".
- Sprinkle veggie burger mixture over top of dough, leaving room around the long edges. You want to be sure there is filling all the way to the edge on the short edges so there is filling in your first few slices.
- Using the parchment paper to help you roll, start rolling on the long side, tucking and squeezing slightly to make sure you can get the roll as tight as possible.
- Once it is all rolled together, slice into 12 - 14 even slices. Place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 12-14 minutes, until spirals are browned and cheese is bubbly. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro if desired.
Leave a comment