This vegan steak recipe is a homemade meat substitute that with great texture that is simmered in a flavorful broth. It is also known as Seitan and can be used to make many delicious recipes like fajitas, sandwiches, and more.
This vegan seitan steak recipe is made with vital wheat gluten that is simmered in a rich brown broth allowing the gluten to absorb the beef like flavor as it simmers. It is an excellent homemade gluten recipe that is high in protein, low carb, and low fat. It makes a delicious vegan meat substitute for those who prefer to not consume animal protein.
❤️ Why you'll love it
✔️ Its far more cost effective to make your own seitan dough than but buy it pre made in the store.
✔️ This plant based steak recipe a great way to get protein in the diet when you're not a meat eater!
✔️ You can use this mock meat in most recipes you would use for regular steak.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases from affiliate links.
Vital Wheat Gluten, is the most important part of this recipe. This is the flour that is what is used to make this vegan steak recipe.
Liquid aminos, is a liquid protein concentrate made from soybeans that is often used like soy sauce.
Extra virgin olive oil
Hickory smoked dried torula yeast is what gives the gluten steaks a smoky flavor. It is completely vegan, sugar, and salt free.
George Washington rich brown broth powder, this gives it a deeper flavor and is similar to a beef broth powder but is vegan.
Vegemite, a yeast extract in paste form. It is high in B vitamins.
Instant coffee, this is the brand I use.
- Heat the olive oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat until hot. Add the onion and celery and cook for 3 minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the water, liquid aminos, smoked yeast flakes, broth powder, vegex, instant coffee, and garlic powder. Stir to combine and bring the broth to a boil.
- In a large bowl, mix together the 3 cups of water and the gluten flour to make a dough.
- On a work surface with plenty of room, roll the dough into a long roll, 2 inches in diameter.
- Slice each roll into equal pieces, approximately ¼ to ½ inch thick. Place each slice in a single layer on a parchment lined baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray.
- Place in boiling broth. Reduce to medium-low to low heat and simmer for 4 hours.
Large stock pot
Large mixing bowl
Vegan seitan steaks can be stored in an airtight container making sure the steaks are covered completely in the broth it was simmered in. I keep this in the fridge for up to 2 weeks and freeze it for up to 3 months.
- Vegetable stock can be substituted for the broth powder.
- Soy sauce can be used in place of liquid aminos,
- Liquid smoke can be substituted for the torula yeast. You will only need a few drops.
- If you want to add a cheesy flavor to the mock meat, add ½ cup of nutritional yeast flakes to the vital wheat gluten flour.
💭 Top Tips
- The dough comes together quickly so you have to be on your best game mixing the flour and water. Work quickly and knead as little as possible to just absorb the flour. (watch the video to see how I do it).
- When cutting the steaks, it is best to place them directly into the boiling broth rather than stack them. Stacking will cause them to stick to each other.
- Roll and stretch the gluten steaks into a long log shape, then cut each piece no larger than ½ inch thick.
- Be sure to use a large stock pot. These steaks will absorb the liquid while simmering and will expand to almost double in size. They will shrink back down some the longer they simmer.
It is a super fine powdered flour that is all gluten and very little starch. It really is not a flour, but it is made from wheat flour that has been hydrated to activate gluten. Then, it is processed to remove everything but the gluten, is dried and ground into a powder.
Just ¼ cup of it contains 23 grams of protein, 4 grams of carbohydrates, and 0 fat. As a result, it is a great substitute for vegans who want to follow a low carb diet. Gluten is considered safe to consume by all unless you have celiac disease and are gluten intolerant. It can cause stomach pain and bloating.
The final product is basically the same, but the cooking method is different. Some seitan recipes call to wrap the gluten in foil and steam it. This recipe is simmered in a vegetable broth to give it flavor
No, this vegan steak recipe is not meant to taste like the real thing.
📚 Related Recipes
🍽 Serve with...
These steaks are delicious battered and fried in a frying pan and served with a generous portion of mushroom gravy and mashed potatoes or mashed cauliflower.
Don't forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products!
When you make this recipe, please comment below and let me know what you think. I'd love it if you tag me on Instagram @grumpyshoneybunch or #grumpyshoneybunch so I can see your photos!
If you love this recipe, please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating
Vegan Steak Recipe
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
FOR THE STEAKS
- 1 pound vital wheat gluten flour
- 3 cups water
FOR THE BROTH
- Heat the olive oil in a large stockpot until hot. Add the onion and celery and cook for 3 minutes, until vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the water, liquid aminos, smoked yeast flakes, broth powder, vegex, instant coffee, and garlic powder. Stir to combine and bring broth to a boil.
FOR THE STEAKS
- In a large mixing bowl, pour the 3 cups of water into the gluten flour to make a dough. Roll the dough into a long roll 2 inches in diameter.
- Slice each roll approximately ¼ to ½ inch thick. Place in boiling broth. Reduce heat and simmer for 4 to 6 hours.