Keto Tiramisu is a layered sugar-free keto dessert recipe. It is made with a layer of mascarpone cream and coffee sponge cake. The gluten-free cake is made in the microwave and flavored with hazelnut coffee. The Italian Keto Dessert recipe makes the ultimate end to a romantic dinner.
Keto Tiramisu for two is so simple to make and can be easily be made ahead. The best thing about this dessert is that it is low carb. And, this means you can indulge on your date night and stick to your Keto diet!
Italian Classic Dessert
The best thing about this keto tiramisu is how easy it is to make. The cake is baked in a mug in the microwave and is ready in just 1 minute. The mascarpone filling takes about 10 minutes. In just 15 minutes you will have an amazing dessert to wow your loved one.
Tiramisu means pick me up in Italian and originates from Treviso, Italy in the 1960’s. A traditional tiramisu would usually consist of ladyfingers dipped in coffee, layered with a mascarpone filling and dusted in cocoa. As ladyfingers are not keto-friendly, the coffee cake made in the microwave is an excellent substitute.
Looking for a non keto tiramisu version, then check out this Chocolate Pumpkin Tiramisu!
- Cook the cake in a mug that is similar in diameter to the glass it will be served it in. This will make the assembly of your dessert easier.
- Use a mug that is straight and consistent in size. A mug that is narrower on the bottom than it is on the top will result in an uneven cake layer
- Use dessert shooter glasses or short drinking glasses to assemble the keto tiramisu. This is a rich dessert and you won’t need to fill a big glass.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases from affiliate links.
Hazelnut Flour: This gives the tiramisu that classic flavor
Coconut Flour: aids in thickening the cake batter and binding.
Hazelnut flavored coffee
Powdered Monkfruitis similar to powdered sugar, but is an all-natural and sugar-free sweetener.
- Substitute almond flour for hazelnut flour and obtain the same result.
- Get creative with the coffee flavors! You could use any coffee flavor you prefer. Some ideas would be Mocha, French Vanilla, or Caramel.
- If you don't have mascarpone cheese, full-fat cream cheese can be used.
- Use this homemade coffee liquor (keto-friendly) to replace the brandy.
- Sprinkle the top of the keto tiramisu with sugar-free chocolate chips.
- Take into consideration that microwaves vary in power. For this reason, you should check your cake after one minute. If it doesn’t seem cooked, you will need to return it to the microwave for a little longer.
- Check your cake for doneness by inserting a skewer into the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, it is ready. If there is batter on it, you will need to bake it a little longer.
- Be sure to grease your baking mug will with coconut oil butter or coconut oil. This will help to remove the cake from the mug.
- If the cake doesn’t just tip out, run a butter knife around the edge of it to loosen the sides.
Keto Baking Challenges
This keto tiramisu recipe takes the traditional tiramisu and adapts it to make it keto-friendly. One of the biggest difficulties when baking with keto ingredients is getting a crunch.
Lady fingers are the cookie/cake part of a normal tiramisu. They are a firm and crisp cookie that is not keto-friendly. They are normally soaked in a coffee and brandy mixture, softening the lady finger while infusing flavor.
The coffee flavor was infused into this cake by baking the coffee into the mug cake. Since the mug cake is moist to start, the only liquid to soak into the cake is the brandy.
Keto tiramisu is an excellent dessert to serve your special Valentine, or even just as a date night dinner. The silky smooth mascarpone filling paired with the soft and moist coffee cake is the perfect end to your special evening.
Dessert For Two
Keto tiramisu is an excellent dessert to serve your special Valentine, or even just as a date night dinner. The silky smooth mascarpone filling paired with the soft and moist coffee cake is the perfect end to your special evening. Not only will you have a delicious dessert, but with it being low carb, you don't need to worry about over-indulging on your ketogenic diet.
Keto desserts for two you may enjoy
If you like this recipe please give it a 5 star rating!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Combine the instant coffee, boiling water and butter, and stir until the coffee has dissolved and the butter has melted.
- In another bowl combine the sweetener, coconut flour, baking powder salt, and hazelnut flour.
- Add the coffee mixture to the dry ingredients, then add egg and stir until the mixture is completely combined.
- Grease a coffee mug with butter or coconut oil. Add the cake batter into the coffee mug. (You will want to make sure the coffee mug is a similar size to your serving glass)
- Place the coffee mug in the microwave and cook on high for 1 minute.
- Allow the cake to rest for 1-2 minutes. Then remove the cake from the mug by tipping it upside down onto a plate.
- Set the cake aside to cool completely.
- Separate the egg white from the yolk and place it into 2 separate bowls.
- Whisk the egg white until it forms stiff peaks.
- In the other bowl, combine egg yolk, vanilla, sweetener, and salt and whisk until pale in color and thick in texture.
- Add mascarpone to the egg yolk mixture and whisk to combine.
- Add the whipped egg whites to the mixture and fold to combine. Be careful to not knock all the air out of the egg whites.
- Cut the cake in half. You should end up with 2 evenly sized discs.
- In your 2 serving glasses, place one-quarter of the mascarpone mixture into each glass
- Place the cake discs into each glass on top of the mascarpone layer
- Pour half a teaspoon of brandy evenly onto each cake.
- Divide the remaining mascarpone filling evenly on top of each cake disc.
- Using a tea strainer, lightly dust some cocoa powder on top of each tiramisu to serve.