Keto Rhubarb Dream Bars are a layered dessert bar made of a shortbread crust, a layer of rhubarb custard, and dreamy cream topping! This will become your favorite keto rhubarb recipe this spring!
These Rhubarb Dream Bars are a delicious dessert to serve to from the time rhubarb starts to pop out of the ground and is ready to harvest! This makes an impressive dessert to take to picnics, family reunions or potlucks!
Why I made a Keto version of this Rhubarb Recipe
I made a non keto version of rhubarb custard bars for years. So, when my rhubarb was ready to harvest, my mind naturally went to that recipe and how much I wanted to eat it. So, Keto Rhubarb Dream Bars were born!
I went about creating a shortbread made with almond and coconut flour, coconut oil, and Swerve sweetener. The rest was easy, as custard is naturally low carb as long as you are using a sugar-free sweetener like Swerve!
Rhubarb Dream Bars Recipe FAQ's
Yes, you can substitute heavy whipped cream. Just be sure your cream cheese is softened before folding them together.
If your coconut oil has solidified, then I recommend melting it prior to adding to your crust ingredients.
To get the correct crust ratio, you need to use a 9 x 13 baking dish. The crust in the photos may look like it is thicker, but due to the nature of the ingredients, the custard baked into the crust some, making the crust look thicker than it is.
The original recipe calls for flour, which is used to thicken. I removed the flour and experimented with Xanthan Gum. You could also just add an extra egg or two to help the dream bar custard firm up more.
How to make Keto Rhubarb Dream Bars
This Keto Rhubarb Dream Bar will become your next favorite Keto Rhubarb Recipe!
- Prepare your rhubarb
Wash and dice your rhubarb.
- Prepare the shortbread layer
Mix together the crust ingredients. It will not become dough like. It should look like the photo below.
- Prepare the bottom layer.
Press the crust mixture into the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. Then place it in the oven to bake.
- Combine the custard ingredients
When the crust is done baking, mix together your custard ingredients.
- Add the custard layer
Pour the rhubarb custard mixture over the baked shortbread crust and return to the oven to finish baking.
- Remove from the oven
Once baked, remove from the oven and cool completely.
- Add the cream topping
Once the bars have cooled completely, Mix together the cream topping and cover the baked rhubarb dream bars with the topping. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
More favorite Keto Rhubarb Recipes you may enjoy
I am such a huge fan of rhubarb recipes that I have several that are made often every year when my rhubarb comes to harvest. Recipes like Strawberry Rhubarb Chia Pudding and Mom's Rhubarb Sauce recipe are two of my favorites. I also love this Low Carb Rhubarb Coffee Cake!
Keto Rhubarb Dream Bars
- 1 cup almond flour , finely ground
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 3 ounces coconut oil
- ¼ cup granulated erythritol sweetener
- ½ teaspoon salt
Cream Topping Ingredients
- 8 ounces cream cheese , softened
- 2 cups sugar-free cool whip , thawed
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup powdered erythritol
FOR THE CRUST
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, using a fork or pastry blender, combine the almond flour, coconut flour, erythritol, salt, and coconut oil until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Press the flour mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
FOR THE FILLING
- In a large mixing bowl, using a hand mixer, combine the eggs, erythritol, almond milk, heavy cream and vanilla until well combined.
- Sprinkle the egg mixture lightly with xanthan gum whisk until well combined. Stir in the rhubarb.
- Pour the egg mixture over the partially baked crust and return to oven. Bake for 50 minutes, or until custard has set and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
FOR THE TOPPING
- In a medium sized mixing bowl using a hand mixer on medium speed, combine the cream cheese, powdered erythritol, and vanilla. Fold in the sugar-free whipped topping.
- Spread the whipped topping over completely cooled bars. Store in refrigerator.