A few weeks ago I bought a Wilton Jumbo Muffin/Popover pan on clearance at JoAnn's Fabric & Craft Store. It happened to catch Grumpy's eye and he pointed it out to me. If it weren't for him, I may have just overlooked it. While I have wanted a popover pan, I haven't been on a "mission" to find one. However, Grumpy saw it and thought Jumbo Banana Muffins. Of course, I had to accommodate his thought. I admit, it took me a couple of weeks, but this morning I finally made him some muffins. Am I ever happy that I did! I didn't realize how great that pan would work for Jumbo Muffins.
I thought for sure I wouldn't like how they looked when they came out. I also thought for sure that the pan was going to stick on me because I didn't have jumbo muffin wrappers. I was wrong. It worked amazing without the wrappers. So, not only was Grumpy happy when he got up this morning, I was happy because I had a success!
He loves banana walnut bread so I made these muffins with walnuts. I didn't have a lot of granulated sugar on hand so I used some Splenda Sugar Blend that I happened to have. I made a caramel drizzle for this and while I thought about using the Splenda Brown Sugar Blend, I decided against it. While I love to use it in cooking, I felt it was going to be too dark for my liking when it came to a drizzle. I went with regular Light Brown Sugar. Oh heavenly yumminess. Love this drizzle. 🙂 I have a feeling Grumpy did too!
- ¼ cup Crisco solid shortening
- ½ cup Splenda Sugar Blend
- 1 large egg
- 3 medium sized ripe bananas, mashed
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Caramel Icing:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon half and half
- ½ cup confectioners' sugar
- In a large mixing bowl, using a hand mixer, cream shortening and Splenda Sugar blend together until fluffy. Add egg, banana and vanilla extract and mix until incorporated.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir into wet ingredients until just moistened.
- Stir in chopped walnuts.
- Scoop into Jumbo Muffin tin that has been coated with cooking spray until ⅔ full. Note: if like me you have a super jumbo pan, you can use two large cookie scoops per cup. This will only fill 5 cups. Bake at 350 for 28 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
these delicious muffins need to be JUmBO! LOVE the combo of banana AND caramel drizzle - sounds divine!
Sheena @ Hot Eats and Cool Reads
We are huge muffin lovers, and these ones look so delicious! Love banana!
From Valeries Kitchen
I love the idea of using a popover pan. These look wonderful, Shelby!
Michele @ Flavor Mosaic
Those look fantastic. I want to reach through the screen and grab one to have for breakfast this morning.
Those look amazing! I may have to make up a batch to share for Easter brunch!
Caramel and banana...perfect combo! I wish I had some ripe bananas, I'd be making these right now!
I think I need a jumbo muffin/popover pan now too! These look amazing!
These are now on my to do list. My oldest would love these!