Homemade Horchata is a cool and light beverage made with soaked rice milk, sweetener, and cinnamon. It is great to have on hand during the hot days of summer and a perfect addition to any Mexican themed meal or Cinco de Mayo celebrations.
This Homemade Horchata reminds me something of an Aqua Fresca beverage, it is very light, smooth, and cool. It is great to accompany Cheese Enchiladas, Carne Asada, or Mexican Street Tacos.
A Lightly Sweetened Mexican Beverage Made With Rice Milk
The base of homemade Horchata is soaked rice that is blended in water and then soaked for several hours. The rice is strained leaving behind a milk. This rice milk is then flavored with cinnamon and sweetened lightly for a refreshing cool beverage.
The Difference Between Mexican and Spanish Horchata
When I first told my son Justin that I was making Horchata he was excited about it. Then when I told him it was made with rice, he was confused. He lives in Spain and is familiar with Spanish Horchata and he absolutely loves it.
I discovered that the difference between the two countries and this beverage was the Mexican Horchata was made with raw rice blended and soaked in water where Spanish Horchata is made with soaked tiger nuts and is said to have the flavor of rice pudding. This explains why Justin loves it so much because Justin loves Rice Pudding!
What You Need To Make Homemade Horchata
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases from affiliate links.
Cinnamon Sticks or Ground Cinnamon
Sweetened Condensed Milk, while this is not a traditional ingredient (sugar is more traditional), I went with this because of its creaminess and sweetness it does lend.
Tips and Substitutions
- Be sure to soak the rice for at least 4 hours before straining.
- Soak a cinnamon stick with the rice but remove before blending.
- Use tigernuts instead of rice to make Spanish Horchata.
- Serve the Horchata completely chilled for the best flavor.
- Add a shot of rum to a glass of homemade Horchata for a Rumchata!
Other Delicious Mexican Beverages To Make
🍽 Serve with...
Serve Horchata with your favorite Mexican dishes. Some of my favorites to serve with are these Easy Green Chicken Enchilada Recipe - low carb, Shrimp Enchiladas Recipe, and Cheese Enchiladas with Red Sauce.
Homemade Horchata Recipe
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Pour the rice and water into a blender. Blend for 1 minutes, until the rice just begins to break up. Let the rice water stand at room temperature for at least 3 hours.
- Strain the rice water into a pitcher and discard the rice.
- Stir in the milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and sweetened condensed milk. Chill.