Air Fryer Roast Beef on cutting board with slices cut from the roast

This Air Fryer Roast Beef is guaranteed to give you a delicious, medium rare roast beef in just over an hour. A delicious crust develops on the outside of the roast while the inside remains moist and delicious. From now on, you can have a keto-friendly, perfectly cooked roast beef any day of the week with little effort.

If you have been looking for a no-fail way to make the perfect roast beef, then you are done looking! Ever since I tried this Maple Glazed Pork Loin in the Air Fryer, I knew I had to try a roast beef. This is a great way to serve a holiday roast or to make a weekend family dinner any time of year.

Air Fryer Roast Beef sliced on a wooden cutting board

Why you should make Roast Beef in the Air Fryer

My main method of making a roast been has been either in the oven or a slow cooker. Until now. I just consumed the most delicious Roast Beef made in the air fryer, and the best part is I didn’t have to do a ton of work, and I had very little mess afterward!

This Air Fryer roast is the juiciest, most tender, and flavorful roast beef I have ever eaten! It was as adding a light coating of oil on the roast, then giving it a rub down with some dried herbs. The rest of the magic happened right in the air fryer!

uncooked roast with dry rub

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post contains affiliate links.

What you need to make Air Fryer Roast Beef

Beef: You want a tender cut of beef for roasting. Go for tenderloin, top round, or a ribeye roast. The size will depend on the air fryer. I made a 2-pound roast beef in mine.

Air Fryer: I have a 3-quart size fryer. I love it so much that I will probably go bigger soon. The brand I started with is no longer available, but I bought my son and brother in law this one for Christmas and they both love it!

Meat Thermometer: I always recommend using a meat thermometer when cooking meat. I love the instant-read digital thermometer.

Spices: I used a blend of my favorite spices to coat this roast. Garlic powder, onion salt, parsley, thyme, basil, salt, and pepper.

Oil: I used olive oil to coat the roast beef before putting the rub-on. This was to give it a little more fat and help the rub to stick and seep into the meat.

uncooked and seasoned roast in the cooking basket

Tips and Recommendations for Air Frying Roasts

• Line your air fryer basket with foil to catch drippings and minimize clean up.
  • Spray the fryer basket with cooking spray to ease the clean up of the basket.
  • Preheat your air fryer on 390 for 15 minutes before putting the roast in.
  • Air fry the roast at 390 for 15 minutes, then turn the heat down to 360 for the remainder of cook time. This is the “searing” process that will seal the juices.
  • Roast the beef for 20 minutes per pound (for rare) or 25 minutes per pound (for medium-rare), checking the temperature of the meat periodically.
  • Be sure you allow the roast to rest at least 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.
partially cooked roast beef in the air fryer basket

Great Beef Side Dish Recipes

A natural side to roast beef is the potato. We love this recipe for Mashed Potatoes with Garlic and Chives. It is the only recipe I ever make for mashed.

Since this Roast Beef is naturally low carb, if you are following a low carb keto diet, then this Garlic Mashed Cauliflower with Browned Butter is the BEST!

If you love roasted potatoes, you may want to serve this Roasted Fingerling Potato or Roasted Red Skinned Potato recipe.

This Roasted Acorn Squash is another delicious veggie side you may want to serve, and we also love this recipe for Roasted Asparagus with Browned Balsalmic Butter.

Air Fryer Roast Beef Pinnable Image

*If you made this Air Fryer Roast Beef with Herb Crust recipe, please give it a star rating*

Air Fryer Roast Beef on cutting board with slices cut from the roast

Air Fryer Roast Beef with Herb Crust

A moist, delicious, herb-crusted beef roast cooked to perfection in the air fryer.
4.32 from 207 votes

• 2 teaspoons thyme
  • 2 teaspoons basil
  • 1/2 tablespoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil

Instructions

• Preheat the air fryer for 15 minutes at 390 degrees.
  • Combine the garlic powder, onion salt, parsley, thyme, and basil, salt, and pepper.
  • Rub the roast with the olive oil then rub the herb mixture over the entire roast.
  • Place the roast in pre-heated air fryer. Set timer for 15 minutes.
  • After 15 minutes, remove the basket and turn the roast over.
  • Reduce the temperature to 360 degrees on the air fryer and return the roast. Cook for another 60 minutes, or until thermometer reaches desired degree of doneness.
  • Let roast rest for 15 minutes before slicing.

Notes

Tips and Recommendations for Air Frying Roasts

• Spray the fryer basket with cooking spray to ease the clean up of the basket.
  • Preheat your air fryer on 390 for 15 minutes before putting the roast in.
  • Be sure you allow the roast to rest at least 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.

Nutrition

Calories: 336kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 69g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 5.5g | Cholesterol: 136mg

1. […] Potatoes for Two – with leftover ham Oreo Stuffed Rice Krispie Treats Air Fryer Roast Beef – with Herb Crust Superbowl Recipes – 100+ Ideas for Game Day Valentine Gift Ideas for those you love the […]

2. […] minutes Scalloped Potatoes for Two – with leftover ham Oreo Stuffed Rice Krispie Treats Air Fryer Roast Beef – with Herb Crust Superbowl Recipes – 100+ Ideas for Game Day Valentine Gift Ideas for those you love the […]

3. Anonymous February 4, 2020 at 2:30 pm - Reply

4. Debra March 6, 2020 at 1:50 pm - Reply

Is your cooking time correct…I cooked a 3 lb roast and it was like a hard boulder. Totally ruined it. Had to throw it away.

• Shelby Law Ruttan March 7, 2020 at 6:44 am - Reply

There could be many factors involved. The temperature setting is one. It should only sear at 390 for 15 minutes. Then, depending on the size of your roast, the rule of thumb is 360 degrees with 25 minutes per pound. I check with a thermometer while the roast is cooking as well and check after the first 25 minutes is up. Also, I had a round roast. The type of roast you used could make a difference. In any case, the best way to be sure your roast is not overcooking is to check the internal temperature of the roast periodically.

• Carol L Orzechowski May 9, 2020 at 4:50 pm - Reply

I just put mine in the air fryer. But your directions don’t say anything about oil or pepper, only your ingredients do!

• Shelby Law Ruttan May 19, 2020 at 10:39 am - Reply

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I corrected the recipe card. I hope you enjoyed the roast!

5. Anonymous April 1, 2020 at 5:54 pm - Reply

3.5

6. Anonymous May 2, 2020 at 11:38 pm - Reply

4.5

7. Anonymous July 6, 2020 at 5:55 am - Reply

8. Tamsie Bingham August 27, 2020 at 3:02 am - Reply

Hi can this beautiful roast beef be done in a Tefal 2 in 1 air fryer?

• Shelby Law Ruttan August 28, 2020 at 5:36 pm - Reply

Hi Tamsie, I am not familiar with the Tefal 2 in 1, it would probably depend on the size and power of your airfryer. I would refer to the booklet that came with the airfryer to see what it says you can make in it. ˜Shelby

9. Leigh October 6, 2020 at 2:15 pm - Reply

Hi Shelby,
    I bought a bottom round. Will that work? I don’t know the difference.
    Thanks,
    Leigh

10. Lisa October 20, 2020 at 6:05 pm - Reply

Chuck roast must not be a good idea for this recipe. I followed recipe to the letter and the roast was entirely too done. I should have checked temp more frequently than every 15 minutes. I used drippings and added butter to serve over roast, it still could have been a lot better if air fryer temp was set at 320 15 minutes per pound after searing phase

• Shelby Law Ruttan October 21, 2020 at 4:49 am - Reply

Hi Lisa, Chuck roast is best for braising and roasting in a pot. It’s not a real tender cut of meat. I recommend a tenderloin, top loin, or ribeye in the post.

11. Elaine October 22, 2020 at 2:13 pm - Reply

Just cooked this absolutely yum beef in a Ninja Foodie, went down an absolute bomb 👌

12. Janet November 3, 2020 at 7:12 pm - Reply

So easy and so good,taste was like my mom’s roast. Saving this recipe

13. […] Air Fryer Roast Beef […]

14. Im November 29, 2020 at 12:30 pm - Reply

hi when you refer to 390 and 360 degrees do you mean degrees Fahrenheit or ceIsius im in scotland and my Ninja only goes too 200

15. Im November 29, 2020 at 3:27 pm - Reply

Thank you look forward to cooking it slower lol and trying your other recipes

Gerry

16. […] This recipe for Butternut Squash Rolls is full of buttery, sweet flavor with a super soft and tender texture. The have a gorgeous golden color and are a wonderful way to use butternut squash from the garden and are delicious served as a bread side with your meal, and I love to make roast beef sandwiches with them with leftover Air-Fryer Roast Beef! […]

17. Tracie McKee December 12, 2020 at 11:00 pm - Reply

5 stars
    OMG
    I have never cooked a roast in the oven but have done many pot roasts. I was scarred to try this but OMG this was amazing. Cooked by your recipe to med rare next time will cook to rare. Thank you soo much for sharing thins YUMMY

• Shelby Law Ruttan December 14, 2020 at 6:01 am - Reply

Hi Tracie! Thank you so much for letting me know you tried the recipe and how it turned out. I’m so happy the end results were great for you and that you make your roasts this way often! ˜Shelby

18. Jenny Q. December 15, 2020 at 11:38 pm - Reply

5 stars
    Great! I’m always afraid to cook roast beef for fear of overcooking. I used a toaster oven/air fryer so it’s a smaller appliance and seems to cook faster. My roast was also 2.65 lbs, so a meat thermometer was a must. I cooked on high for the 15 minutes, then I cooked for another 30 minutes at 360F, as listed in the instructions which was way less than the instructions indicated. We like our meat medium, so took it out at 140F. Let it rest for 20 minutes. It was perfect … a little cooked on the edges but perfectly pink in the middle. The crust was perfectly seasoned and crispy. Served with roasted potatoes and corn. Definitely a hit, will make again.

• Shelby Law Ruttan December 16, 2020 at 7:44 am - Reply

Hi Jenny! Thank you for coming back to review the recipe. So happy it turned out perfectly for you. This is our favorite way to make roast beef!

19. Taylor Rhonda December 17, 2020 at 7:35 pm - Reply

Gonna try tonight. Should be good.

20. Kathleen A Crumpler December 21, 2020 at 11:21 am - Reply

5 stars
    New air fry user here.
    Delicious recipe and beautifully done roast! I will never roast in the crockpot or oven again!

• Shelby Law Ruttan December 21, 2020 at 1:08 pm - Reply

Hi Kathleen! So happy it worked for you 🙂 Thank you for stopping by to review! ˜Shelby

21. JaneDoeExperience December 26, 2020 at 7:19 pm - Reply

5 stars
    Just finished making mine. Turned out beautiful. I added red wine to mine. Rosemary, garlic, garlic powder, garlic paste. Splash of Mc Cormick steak season, Salt and pepper. I turned my up 400 for 15 mins. Then followed the 360 for 40 mins. Everyone loved it.

• Shelby Law Ruttan December 27, 2020 at 5:43 am - Reply

So happy to hear how you made this your own recipe and that it turned out beautiful!

22. Lorna Mongan January 1, 2021 at 3:13 pm - Reply

Turned out Excellent

23. Patsy January 4, 2021 at 7:47 pm - Reply

5 stars
    I didn’t feel like waiting for my Prime Rib Roast to cook in the oven, so I thought what the heck I’ll try cooking it in the Air Fryer. Boy, am I glad I did!! It was delicious, tender and ready in 1/2 the time. Now I can relax and enjoy my evening!!

24. Carla M Gardner January 9, 2021 at 7:49 pm - Reply

The seasoning was amazing but it was way over cooked, Followed directions to a T . 2 lb roast

• Shelby Law Ruttan January 10, 2021 at 6:04 am - Reply

Hi Carla, I’m happy you tried it, thanks for stopping by. I do want to point out that I indicate that it is important to check the temperature of the meat as it is cooking. Each air fryer will cook differently and you need to make sure you are checking the internal temperature of the meat and remove it when it meets the desired temp. Shelby

25. Mary January 12, 2021 at 7:14 pm - Reply

5 stars
    Excellent!! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
    Tried this recipe since it looked delicious & reminded me of my husband’s recipe (oven) however, he would use spicy brown mustard along with garlic as the ‘coating’ for the roast!
    I tried your recipe, it came out perfect! I’ve had an air fryer for awhile but didn’t really use it until this year when my son said why not try cooking chicken in it! I never realized how good the food would be! I’m a big fan of the air fryer!
    Unfortunately my husband has passed away some years ago but he would of gotten a kick out of the air fryer too!
    I Absolutely loved your recipe, followed it to a T and it came out juicy, flavorful and the seasoning was delicious!!
    Thank You!

• Shelby Law Ruttan January 12, 2021 at 7:26 pm - Reply

Hi Mary, thank you SO MUCH for stopping by to rate and comment on this recipe. I’m so happy it worked well for you, I appreciate you taking the time to come back here and let me know. <3 Thank you for sharing. ˜Shelby

26. Lissa January 13, 2021 at 5:23 pm - Reply

This recipe looks delicious and I am looking forward in trying it. My question is does the roast need to be completely thawed before cooking?

• Shelby Law Ruttan January 13, 2021 at 6:07 pm - Reply

Hi Lissa, yes, the roast needs to be completely thawed before cooking. Hope you enjoy the recipe!
      Shelby

27. Amanda January 15, 2021 at 9:55 pm - Reply

The seasoning was really good but I overlooked it, a 2.8 lb roast at 60m was well done. I will to check the temp next time. Also, my air fryer has different settings like bake, roast, air fry. Does this Make a difference?

• Shelby Law Ruttan January 16, 2021 at 5:11 am - Reply

Hi Amanda, yes, I would read my manual for the air fryer to see what settings to use and how to use them. Glad you enjoyed the recipe! Shelby

28. Robin January 17, 2021 at 4:30 pm - Reply

5 stars
    Delicious! Air fryed 2lb ribeye roast. Very tender and moist. Right blend of seasonings. As mentioned, monitor the temperature. Used a Ninja air fryer max xl. seared at 390 degrees for 15 min, reduced heat to 360 degrees. Roast was done (med well) in 30 minutes.

• Shelby Law Ruttan January 17, 2021 at 4:47 pm - Reply

Hi Robin, thank you so much for coming back and reviewing the recipe! So happy it worked out well for you. Shelby

29. Vincenzza Bubak January 19, 2021 at 6:25 pm - Reply

Excellent excellent excellent yummy

30. veronica January 20, 2021 at 9:57 pm - Reply

My oven has an air fryer option and basket rack. Would I follow the same directions. This is a gas range not electric

• Shelby Law Ruttan January 21, 2021 at 11:29 am - Reply

Hi Veronica, I would go ahead and follow the same directions but keep an eye on the internal temp of the meat to not overcook. A hot sear is always recommended – meaning put the roast in at a hot temp for the first 15 minutes, then lower to the roasting temp. The high heat gives a crisp crust and seals in the juices. Good luck! Shelby