Bourbon Butter Venison Tips

Bourbon Butter Venison Steak Tips are full of bourbon and butter flavor! Use regular syrup or go sugar free for a low carb version!. The Venison is melt in your mouth delicious!

Bourbon Butter Venison Steak TipsWhen I read that Sunday Supper was going to be sharing recipes with ingredients that are hunted or foraged this week I knew I would be participating.  Grumpy is a huge hunter and we always have venison in our freezer! These Bourbon Butter Venison Steak Tips are going to be mind blowing to the game meat lovers in your home!

Bourbon Butter Venison Steak Tips

I wanted to do something I had never done and I wanted something that would have amazing flavor. While I love all types of booze in my cooking and baking, I really had never used bourbon before so I decided to try it out on a recipe I found in Cooks Country and adapted it slightly to fit what I had for ingredients and swapped the venison for the beef.

I served this as a meal with a Chipotle Mashed Potato recipe and Roasted Asparagus.  These also could be an appetizer! Loved it and will definitely make this again!

*TIP FROM GRUMPY* – when prepping your venison, it pays to take the time to trim the meat and removing any silverskin.  This helps remove some of the “gaminess” of the meat.  I ususally make Grumpy do this because it is a tedious job!

Spread it on Thick

Nibbles and Sides

The Main Event

Sweet Treats

Pin it – Bourbon Butter Venison Steak Tips

Bourbon Butter Venison Steak Tips

Bourbon Butter Venison Tips
Yield: 6 servings

Bourbon Butter Venison Steak Tips

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Total Time: 27 minutes

Bourbon Butter Venison Steak Tips are a full of bourbon and butter flavor! Use regular syrup or go sugar free syrup for a low carb version!

Ingredients

• 1-1/2 lb venison steaks, cut into bite sized pieces
  • 1/2 cup bourbon
  • 1 tbsp maple syrup (regular or sugar free for low carb)
  • 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1/4 tsp chili pepper flakes
  • 1 tbsp fresh chives, chopped

Instructions

1. Pat steak pieces dry and season with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium high heat until just smoking. Add steak and cook until well browned all over, about 6-8 minutes. Transfer to platter and tent loosely with foil.
  2. Remove skillet from heat and add bourbon, maple syrup and cider vinegar. Return to heat and cook until slightly thickened, approximately 3 minutes. Be sure to scrape any browned bits up while sauce is cooking.
  3. Remove from heat and whisk in butter and chili pepper flakes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Return venison and any accumulated juices to skillet and toss to coat. Sprinkle with chopped chives.

Notes

Use a sugar free maple syrup such as Lankato for zero carbs and to make this recipe Ketogenic.

Nutrition Information

Yield

Serving Size

Amount Per Serving Calories 252Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 107mgSodium 82mgCarbohydrates 3gFiber 0gSugar 3gProtein 36g

Nutrition information calculated using myfitnesspal is provided as a courtesy, but will vary depending on the specific brands of ingredients you use. Please consult with your doctor regarding specific health needs.

Did you make this recipe?

Please leave a comment on the blog or share a photo on Instagram

1. Renee November 16, 2014 at 12:21 pm - Reply

Always have venison in your freezer? I'm coming by! I LOVE venison and can't get it in my area and I don't know any hunters.

2. Liz Berg November 16, 2014 at 12:28 pm - Reply

My BIL is the hunter in the family and he always has a stash of venison in his freezer. I'm going to share your recipe with him…it sounds terrific!

3. Stacy November 16, 2014 at 2:21 pm - Reply

I would be hoarding the bowl all to myself, Shelby! What a great sauce for those tasty bites of venison!

4. Constance Smith November 16, 2014 at 2:58 pm - Reply

Mmmmmm…I haven't had venison in years. I'm hoping to change that this year though! 🙂

5. Camilla Mann November 16, 2014 at 3:04 pm - Reply

I LOVE venison. Wish I had some in my freezer. My local hunter friends keep us supplied with wild boar. I only get venison when I visit my in-laws. This recipe looks SO good.

6. KC the Kitchen Chopper November 16, 2014 at 3:18 pm - Reply

Shelby, these steak tips would make a fantastic appetizer or an ingredients in a Chopped recipe. Delish.Thanks for tasty inspiration! I'd love for you to bring these by #TheWeekendSocial starting Thursday 9:00 PM EST. http://www.theKitchenChopper.com Pinning! 🙂

7. Marlene Baird November 16, 2014 at 3:55 pm - Reply

Shelby: I have got to make this recipe. All the ingredients I love, including the venison.

8. Tara Noland November 16, 2014 at 4:09 pm - Reply

I love the sweet heat in this recipe, that venison is making me drool!!

9. Sarah Reid November 16, 2014 at 8:23 pm - Reply

WOW, I wish when I had venison growing up it was like this! Only had it a few times but it was enough then ha!

10. Isabel Reis Laessig November 16, 2014 at 8:24 pm - Reply

Love the addition of bourbon to this dish!

11. Cindy Kerschner November 16, 2014 at 10:47 pm - Reply

I grew up on venison but haven't had it in years! Great idea!

12. Julie @ Texan New Yorker November 16, 2014 at 11:01 pm - Reply

All my favorite flavors on delicious venison, sign me up!! This looks delicious!

13. amy kim November 17, 2014 at 2:14 pm - Reply

Wow, I wish I had a freezer full of venison! I haven't had venison in ages, but will have to change that soon!

14. Arisuchan November 18, 2014 at 4:20 pm - Reply

How great that Grumpy will do that for you! A lovely husband and wife meal! 🙂

15. Nikki @ NikSnacks November 23, 2014 at 4:43 pm - Reply

I've got some venison coming my way and I'm definitely trying this.

16. Laurie Watson January 27, 2015 at 3:20 pm - Reply

Sounds yummy! One question, though. I don't drink, so I wouldn't want to buy a bottle of bourbon for just half a cup and then have the rest go to waste. Do you have any suggestions for a substitute?

• Heather January 31, 2016 at 10:13 pm - Reply

U can buy mini bottles or pints but bourbon will last for a long time without going bad!

17. honeyb January 27, 2015 at 5:58 pm - Reply

Hi Laurie,
    I would suggest apple juice as a substitute. Thanks for asking!

18. Anonymous February 15, 2015 at 12:24 pm - Reply

been eating this kind of venison for years up in Northern Minnesota, will continue to do so, very lean and clean.
    OldGuyLearning

19. Jamie January 17, 2016 at 8:33 pm - Reply

We ear a lot of wild meat. Moose. Deer. Birds ect. I was so excited to find this. I made this for supper tonight. The only difference was I left my steaks whole. It was amazing! My husband and 2 daughters (2 &8) all loved it. I made extra to have for sandwiches the next day… but everyone had seconds:) this was delish! Thanks a bunch:)

• Shelby January 17, 2016 at 8:41 pm - Reply

So glad to hear you loved it!

20. […] GET THE RECIPE […]

21. Lela Luster March 8, 2016 at 10:49 am - Reply

Is there any special way that you tenderize your venison before cooking it?. Would the round steak work or does it have to be the tenderloin?

• Shelby March 8, 2016 at 7:59 pm - Reply

Lela, I went to Grumpy, who is the venison cook master in our home, he says tenderloin is best, no reason to tenderize it before you use it. Grumpy says cook venison the way you like your steak, however, if you like it well done, it will be tougher. Medium to medium rare is best for tenderness.

22. Stacy June 3, 2016 at 8:26 am - Reply

This was fantastic! I loved the yummy sauce that cooked down. It coated perfectly. Thanks for a great way to fix our yearly venison!

• Shelby June 4, 2016 at 4:56 am - Reply

I’m so glad you enjoyed it! Thank you for letting me know!

23. […] Bourbon Butter Venison Bites from The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch […]

24. […] Bourbon Butter Venison Bites from The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch […]

25. […] Bourbon Butter Venison Bites from The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch […]

26. Vanilla Poached Tamarillos October 22, 2017 at 8:53 am - Reply

27. Natalie July 11, 2018 at 6:08 am - Reply

YUM! This venison looks so tender and moist – simply delicious! Can’t wait to try this recipe soon!

28. Dannii July 11, 2018 at 6:46 am - Reply

My husband loves venison but I have never cooked it. I’m going to have to try this.

29. Claudia Lamascolo July 11, 2018 at 7:45 am - Reply

my husband would love this. I wish I had some venison . I cant wait till he goes up north to bag another deer .. its been a while now. I am saving this delicious recipe for when we get one again

30. Kristen Greazel July 11, 2018 at 8:30 am - Reply

My husband’s friend is always sending venison our way. I can’t wait to try this!

31. Gloria July 11, 2018 at 10:04 am - Reply

I have never had venison….but we love to cook with bourbon. Sounds like a meat lovers dream. I will have to see if my neighbour has any left in his freezer. Maybe I can convince him to give it to me…if I give him this back in return.

32. Jamie February 22, 2019 at 6:10 pm - Reply

One of my recipes to cook vension steak. I cover mine in olive oil over night to soften it. I also add mushrooms to the meat and serve it over rice with plenty of sauce.

• Shelby February 23, 2019 at 8:20 am - Reply

Hi Jamie! We love mushrooms, a great idea also to cover in oil to soften it (and add fat – if your keto like me!) Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

33. […] Bourbon Butter Venison Bites from The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch […]

34. […] Bourbon Butter Venison Bites from The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch […]

35. […] Bourbon Butter Venison Steak Tips […]

36. Miriah October 24, 2019 at 5:25 pm - Reply

37. Emily Johnson November 16, 2019 at 10:45 pm - Reply

Thank you for sharing your recipes. I always have venison in the freezer and welcome new ideas as to how to prepare. With the bourbon butter bites recipe, do you think one could change out brandy for bourbon? Asking because I have leftover brandy but no bourbon. Although, I could probably figure out something to do with the leftover liquor…

• Shelby Law Ruttan November 17, 2019 at 5:44 am - Reply

Brandy is a distinctly different flavor than bourbon. I haven’t tried it myself so I can’t say it would work, but would it hurt? Probably not…let me know if you do try it, I would like to know what you thought. 🙂