Pork Chops with Onions are simmered in a beer and BBQ Sauce mixture for a tender, juicy, delicious meal. Pure comfort food at it’s best!

Pork Chops with OnionsLet me explain. I grew up not eating pork chops. There was meat in our home but my mother did not eat pork. Most of my cooking and baking skills are self taught. Mom didn’t really teach me how to cook as I didn’t live at home during my teen years. I was at a private, church run boarding school and this boarding school served only vegetarian foods. So, when I married a meat eater, I had a lot to learn.

Pork Chops with Onions

Grumpy is an avid hunter. Turkey & deer. Our freezer is most always full of venison! But, you can only eat so much of the same meat for so long and Grumpy loves pork. Last evening when I asked him what he wanted me to fix for dinner, pork chops was the response. Sigh. I am gaining more confidence with meat – I mean, I really liked those ribs. I just don’t prefer to eat the pork. Its not my favorite meat. I don’t even know I have a favorite meat! Sorry, but give me a good old black bean burger any day and I’ll be happy!

Pork Chops with Onions

I searched allrecipes.com and found the recipe I would try for the pork. It called for beer – so how could it go wrong with Grumpy? :0)
Pork Chops with Onions
Author: Grumpy’s Honeybunch
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 6 servings
Ingredients
  • 6 pork chops
  • 2 tablespoons steak seasoning
  • 12 ounces beer
  • 18 ounce bottle barbecue sauce
  • 2 onions, sliced
Instructions
  1. Season pork chops with steak seasoning. Place in hot skillet that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Cook on each side, about 3 minutes each side, until browned.
  2. Remove chops from skillet. Pour into skillet one can of beer. Stir around the beer until all the particles on the sides have been combined. Pour in barbecue sauce and place the pork chops back into the pan. Add onions, cover and simmer 1-1/2 hours.

Pin it! Pork Chops with Onions

Pork Chops with Onions

1. Tinamarie January 6, 2009 at 3:13 am - Reply

That sounds wonderful. I love pork chops but usually you get the same o pairing of pork and apple. That looks so simple and easy schmeezy for novices like me!

2. Bunny January 6, 2009 at 3:19 am - Reply

If I told my husband I was making pork chops with beer he’d be thrilled!! It looks good Shelby!

3. Annie January 6, 2009 at 3:21 am - Reply

Ooh HoneyB, this looks great! And you can’t go wrong adding beer to meat and serving it to a man! (Black bean burgers sound great to me – do you have a recipe???)

4. HoneyB January 6, 2009 at 3:23 am - Reply

Annie – if you click on the words “black bean burger” in my post, it will take you to the recipe I use when making the burgers. 🙂

5. Susan January 6, 2009 at 3:30 am - Reply

Oh I wish I had read this earlier- I made 1/2 of a pork loin and I really wanted to do something different with it. Looks really good!

6. Megan January 6, 2009 at 3:46 am - Reply

Well, you are headed in the right direction for pork chops. Those look terrific –

I just made a pork tenderloin over the weekend that was really good. Maybe check it out, and see what you think?

A church run boarding school? Sounds…. strict,and not having great food.

7. JennyMac January 6, 2009 at 3:48 am - Reply

OMG, why do some of the recipes with littlest ingredients….look so delicious at times? Yummy honeyb!!!

8. Dee January 6, 2009 at 3:56 am - Reply

Yummy, yummy! Need I say more? This sounds & looks wonderful. Must try this.

9. noble pig January 6, 2009 at 3:59 am - Reply

That looks dang amazing. OMG my stomach jumped..i want this!

10. Barbara Bakes January 6, 2009 at 4:04 am - Reply

Shelby did you like? I happen to be a big meater lover and pork is one of my favorite. This recipe sounds nice and easy!

11. Heather Campo January 6, 2009 at 4:09 am - Reply

I love your photos, honeyb!

12. Creative One January 6, 2009 at 4:51 am - Reply

I am not a big fan of pork but this sounds and looks delicious!

13. Matt January 6, 2009 at 5:05 am - Reply

I’m not that into meat but those chops look amazing! I will have to make this for my son who would absolutely love it!

14. JyLnC January 6, 2009 at 6:07 am - Reply

This dish looks as tasty as the ribs. I was raised in a meat and potatoes family and have zero knowledge about vegetarian dishes. Luckily, my husband is a meat and potatoes man. My only problem is he is a very basic eater…nothing fancy interests him. He would love this! :>)

15. recipes2share January 6, 2009 at 8:01 am - Reply

I love pork and often prepare a midweek roast. These chops sound delicious and so easy to make.

16. Marthe January 6, 2009 at 9:22 am - Reply

Looks great! I’m not a big fan of porc either, in fact when I do eat meat it’s mostly beef or chicken….

17. Bellini Valli January 6, 2009 at 11:18 am - Reply

Being on a health kick my daughter won’t eat pork either. Growing up in Ontario the pork industry was HUGE!!!!I sometimes love a tender pork tenderloin, chop or roast and I always love it with a nice sauce!!

18. Marija January 6, 2009 at 12:47 pm - Reply

Yum, yum, yum! This is my king of food!

19. Tartelette January 6, 2009 at 4:06 pm - Reply

I am in SC, the other pork paradise so hubby is going to love this for dinner tonight!!

20. Patsyk January 6, 2009 at 5:48 pm - Reply

I’m planning to make pork chops tonight! Not my favorite, but we need a bit of variety every now and then. Looks like yours turned out really tasty.

21. Ian January 6, 2009 at 6:07 pm - Reply

Looks fantastic!

I’m curious if different styles of beer would add a different flavor to the meat.

I’ll be trying it for sure!

22. Kate January 6, 2009 at 7:41 pm - Reply

This has given me an idea! I actually do prefer pork over other meats,and I have a pork roast in the freezer. Rather than chops, I imagine I can brown the roast, put it in a crock pot with the beer, onions, and sauce, and bubble it away for hours. I bet it’s great! Thanks for the tip.

23. Cakelaw January 6, 2009 at 8:58 pm - Reply

Yum! I am seeing all these great recipes for meat dishes, and even though it’s breakfast and I have just had mine, the cereal just doesn’t cut it somehow …

24. Olga January 7, 2009 at 1:01 am - Reply

Pork chops and I are enemies! And not because I am Jewish 🙂

Once I even had WA Post come over with Nathalie Dupree and teach me how to cook it. I still stick to pork tenderloin.

Yours look great!

25. ♥Reeni January 7, 2009 at 2:40 am - Reply

I have much the same attitude as you. With that said you did an awesome job! They look really delicious!

26. Lureena January 7, 2009 at 1:24 pm - Reply

Bruce would love this! He doesn’t care for bbq sauce but a little it wouldn’t hurt. He sure love his pork chops though!

Thanks for sharing.

27. pigpigscorner January 7, 2009 at 1:24 pm - Reply

Looks amazing! I don’t really eat pork chops as I find them a bit tough sometimes.

28. Matt in South Dakota January 12, 2009 at 9:39 pm - Reply

Simple and easy… I have some pork chops I need to use up! Thanks for the idea, and I really like your blog!

29. Dazy May 5, 2009 at 5:22 am - Reply

It is looking fab! I like pork – we have it almost as much as we have chicken, which is a lot. It should keep me busy in the kitchen.

30. Monica October 5, 2010 at 3:51 pm - Reply

Theyre cooking as i'm typing! Me and my boyfriend can't wait to try them!

31. Anonymous May 16, 2012 at 1:42 am - Reply

I am actually one of those people who actually can't cook pork chops until its so dry its tasteless- I guess I flip the chops too much and I'm paranoid about undercooking them but I think I'm going to try this tomorrow-

• Shelby May 20, 2012 at 10:48 am - Reply

I have to admit that I only will cook bacon once and a while if I can help it and it is still the case! Grumpy has stopped eating pork chops in the last couple of years (which is why my pork chop recipes ended). I never was a conniseur of cooking them myself…however the few recipes I did make actually did taste good! I wish you luck and hope you enjoyed them!!

32. Anonymous October 8, 2019 at 12:44 pm - Reply

33. Miriah October 19, 2019 at 5:33 pm - Reply

34. […] Pork Chops with Onions are simmered in a barbecue sauce mixture for a delicious, juicy pork chop. […]