Do you ever get in a slump where you have no idea what you are going to do for dinner? Believe it or not, I am in that slump often. I want to make something Grumpy likes so I will ask him what he might suggest and this is how it will go: “I don’t know” or “I’m not hungry, I can’t think of anything right now”. It can be so frustrating! A simple “lets have such and such” would sometimes make my life so much easier! I have a feeling it is this way in a lot of homes….at least my co-worker gets what I’m talking about when I mention it to her so I don’t think I am alone here.

I make sure I am happy too…I mean, look at all the baked goodies I have been making lately. Believe me, that isn’t for Grumpy’s happiness. He’s not a super big sweets person. I’m the sugar monger in the house. I like to believe that I am like my Nanny in every way. I have a big heart, love my family immensely, hate to see anyone hurt, and have a big sweet tooth. ;o) I probably have the nagging part down pretty good too. hehehe

The other evening was one of those nights that I had no idea what to make. I hadn’t taken any meat out of the freezer and didn’t have a clue. So, on my way home from work I gave Grumpy a call. No answer. After I put gas in my car I gave him another call. Still no answer. I headed on home thinking what am I going to fix? By the time I was 2 miles from home (and had already decided what I was making) Grumpy called me back. Too late. He didn’t get a choice anymore. I had already decided – but I will say, he was not unhappy at all and commented that they were really good this time. I think its because I added some vinegar as suggested by Elle in her post on Italian Sausage Sandwiches!

Italian Sausage and Pepper Sandwiches

1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large green or red bell peppers, or a mixture of both, sliced into 1/2-inch strips
1 large onions, sliced
1 large cloves garlic, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
2 pounds Italian Sweet Sausage Links
8 hoagie or steak sandwich rolls

Heat olive oil in large sauté over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until slightly wilted. Add garlic and cook one more minute. Add peppers and seasonings; stir to combine. (this is where I added a couple tablespoons of vinegar) Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until peppers are very tender, about 20 minutes. Remove the lid to evaporate liquids. Meanwhile, place sausages in frying pan and cook until browned on all sides and thoroughly done. Place cooked sausages in pan with peppers to keep warm. To serve, place a sausage in roll and top with peppers and onions as desired. (I slice my sausage, while Grumpy keeps his whole – fix yours however you like!) I toast our rolls – we like our rolls for all our sandwiches (hamburger, hotdogs, sausages) sprayed with some I Can’t Believe it’s Not Butter and broiled in the toaster oven.

1. Cristine January 23, 2009 at 11:54 am - Reply

Looks yummy! I love a good sausage sandwich!

2. Robin Sue January 23, 2009 at 12:02 pm - Reply

Yup the rolls have to be tooasted. Just had Italian sausage last night- I can never get enough of that stuff! Great pictures, so colorful!

3. Debbie January 23, 2009 at 12:18 pm - Reply

I love Italian sausages. I don’t make them often but always get them at fairs! I know what you mean about not knowing what to cook. I find myself with that dilemma often!!!

4. Barbara Bakes January 23, 2009 at 1:32 pm - Reply

It really is the little things like toasting the rolls that makes a good sandwich a great sandwich!

5. Jessie January 23, 2009 at 1:34 pm - Reply

Oh, man. Can I have one of these for breakfast? Pretty please? Yum!

+Jessie
    a.k.a. The Hungry Mouse

6. Meg January 23, 2009 at 1:52 pm - Reply

My grandma and mom love Italian sausage. I will definitely have to pass this on to them!

7. recipes2share January 23, 2009 at 3:08 pm - Reply

I don’t think I would have any complaints either if you were to come and cook this for me!

8. Linda January 23, 2009 at 3:32 pm - Reply

Sausage and pepper sandwiches…NY State Fair, Italian festivals in town. Those are the images I get when I think of the lovely aroma of these yummy sandwiches. I have gotten to making these with turkey hot Italian sausage and they are very good.

9. Cami @ Creating Myself January 23, 2009 at 3:47 pm - Reply

Oh boy, I have Emeril's Chicken & Apple sausages in the fridge right now. I see hoagies on the menu this weekend! ;o)

10. Christine aka Mistress of Cakes January 23, 2009 at 4:09 pm - Reply

I have to say not to bad for a slump!! We had sausage with peppers and onions yesterday as well though without the bread and some mushrooms and tomatoes thrown in. Looks delish!

11. Pam January 23, 2009 at 4:39 pm - Reply

Yum. My husbands the same way – he never has meal ideas. I have been in a slump lately too – thankfully I have great cookbooks that I checked out from the library to give me inspiration.

12. My Carolina Kitchen January 23, 2009 at 5:17 pm - Reply

Gorgeous pictures. I agree that adding the vinegar would make a big difference. I like your blog and will be back.
    Sam

13. Elyse January 23, 2009 at 5:38 pm - Reply

Wow, these sandwiches look wonderful! I’m always on the lookout for easy and delicious dinners, and this looks perfect. I’d love to try it with the Italian turkey sausage. Love your blog!

14. foodrenegade.com January 23, 2009 at 5:38 pm - Reply

This looks great! Who needs buns? I’d gobble that sausage and pepper medley up by itself!

15. Laura January 23, 2009 at 6:06 pm - Reply

I’m impressed you cooked something–those are the nights I call John for take out.

16. Elle January 23, 2009 at 6:11 pm - Reply

They look SO good! Sausage and peppers is one of my favorite dishes ever! And now i have a craving, lol.

17. Aggie January 23, 2009 at 6:14 pm - Reply

I always feel like I’m in a slump for dinner…

This looks AWESOME and would be loved at our house. This is a great go to meal…sausage can be easily defrosted too. Looks great!!

18. averagebetty January 23, 2009 at 6:16 pm - Reply

Who doesn’t love a sausage sandwich? Perfect, Honey B!

19. J.Danger January 23, 2009 at 7:21 pm - Reply

Gah! My husband does that too! After a while I got wise to it, so every time he would not answer the phone I would make something that I knew was not exactly his favorite. When he would try to complain I would say “well I called you three or four times about dinner honey”. He got wise to it to. Now he just picks up!

20. Creative One January 23, 2009 at 7:38 pm - Reply

Looks delicious! I haven’t had this in quite sometime.

21. duodishes January 23, 2009 at 8:16 pm - Reply

Time for lunch!

22. Linda January 23, 2009 at 8:19 pm - Reply

Hi Shelby…thanks for the comment on the rum cake…rum sauce on apple dumplings. That sounds awesome! Thanks for that tip!

23. Mari at Once Upon a Plate January 23, 2009 at 10:41 pm - Reply

Shelby, Oooh everything looks perfect.

I always add a bit of vinegar too. Love how the red pepper & onions add such a nice contrast to the sausage (I think they are my favorite part of the sandwich!) 🙂

Yes! I can empathize about "what to make for dinner?", too. xo~m.

24. Gabe's Girl January 23, 2009 at 11:22 pm - Reply

That is an exquisite on-the-fly sandwich. I get in slumps all the time. This new “theme night” is working amazingly well. Hope all is well over there with you and your family.

25. pigpigscorner January 23, 2009 at 11:25 pm - Reply

I always think of sausages when I can’t think of anything to eat. Delicious!

26. Olga January 23, 2009 at 11:54 pm - Reply

Those look really great! I love red peppers.

27. Knitty January 24, 2009 at 3:12 am - Reply

I am so glad I wandered into your blog! I plan to come back and get inspired whenever I am in the what-to-fix-for-dinner rut.

I have an unrelated question: what template are you using for your blog? It looks very nice.

28. Debbie January 24, 2009 at 4:39 am - Reply

mmmm….love these sandwiches! And you are right, we do have to get our husbands out of the box every once in a while. If left up to them, it would be meat and potatoes, potatoes and meat.

29. noble pig January 24, 2009 at 7:55 am - Reply

Oh yeah…love these. I think vinegar would be the perfect addition. Nice!

30. Katy January 24, 2009 at 10:33 am - Reply

Every now and again, a sausage sandwich is just the right thing to have. Yours looks yummy!

31. Bellini Valli January 24, 2009 at 11:36 am - Reply

I find if I don’t know what to make for supper I go blogging:D Of course that strategt wouldn’t work on the way home from work.

32. Kevin January 24, 2009 at 7:10 pm - Reply

Now that is a tasty looking sandwich!

33. Peter M January 26, 2009 at 1:56 pm - Reply

I do get stumped with what to eat, despite having so many good blogs and bookmarked recipes to try.

Italian sausage and pork usually works for me.

34. Anonymous September 28, 2019 at 9:48 am - Reply