Low Carb Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms are a quick and easy appetizer recipe. The spicy sausage is toned down by the cream cheese filling giving a creamy and spicy zing. This full of flavor recipe is perfect to serve for those who follow a keto low carb diet. Bonus that it is also gluten-free!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases from affiliate links.
This appetizer recipe is great for parties, game day gatherings, or holiday appetizers with the family. And, for those low carb dieters, Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms can also be a main course with a salad on the side. They can also be used as a side dish recipe!
Why I made this recipe
My mainstay for dinner is a protein, such as beef, chicken, venison, or fish. I usually cooked it in a skillet or on a grill top. No starch, and low carb. I love mushrooms and hot sausage so to me, putting the two together with a cheese filling sounded like a great idea.
I wanted to make a keto stuffed mushroom recipe that we could enjoy either as a meal or an appetizer that we could take with us to parties or serve at our home for family gatherings. This would give us an option to stick to our low carb plan.
Converting Recipes To Keto
Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms are so easy to make! The first thing I did was take my recipe for Bacon Pecan Stuffed Mushrooms and removed the bread soft crumbs. I saute the onions and stems of the mushrooms with butter. If you prefer, you can use olive oil instead of butter.
For the cheese in this recipe, I used full-fat cheese that I shredded myself. I chose a Cheddar Gruyere cheese blend because it has a ton of flavor and I knew it would go well with the hot sausage. The cream cheese helps to bind and thicken the sausage stuffing.
Adapt this recipe to fit your eating style
It is so easy to make adaptions to this recipe and give it variety. Below are some ways you could change it up!
- Change the protein. Substitute ground pork, ground beef, sweet Italian sausage or Spicy Hot Italian sausage, in place of the venison.
- Use different cheeses. I have used Colby Jack, Monterey Jack, and Muenster cheese!
- Use Portobello Mushrooms for a large sausage stuffed mushroom! This makes it easier to be the main course dish. Make it even more special and top it off with a soft fried egg!
- Omit the onions and mix some chopped chives into the cream cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle the cooked mushrooms with some fresh thyme or crispy fried sage leaves
- Make sure the cream cheese is soft prior to adding to the skillet. This will make mixing it into the sausage mixture easier.
- Use full-fat cheese, keto is a low carb high-fat diet. Reduced-fat cheese adds carbs to the plan and defeats the purpose of high fat.
- Use a smaller baking dish to keep the mushrooms close together, or a mini muffin pan to bake the mushrooms. You want them to stay upright.
- Cook the sausage until its a bit on the crispy side. Crispy bits have a ton of flavor!
Other Low Carb Recipes To Try
So you want to cut down on the meat? These Greek Stuffed Mushrooms will do that and keep the carbs down as well. Make them appetizer sized with baby portobellos!
Whenever we have an appetizer party I will bring out these Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms and a variety of other low carb and regular recipes for my guests. One of my very favorite things to do is make a Low Carb Pizza Crust recipe and top it several different ways.
More low carb options for appetizers would be Mom's Italian Style Deviled Eggs. This is one of my go-to deviled egg recipes for parties. And, this recipe for Cheesy Jalapeno Bacon Cheeseburger Dip always goes over well.
Set out a bag of chips for your friends who aren't low carb. These Zucchini Chips with Everything but the Bagel Seasoning is a crunchy option for yours on a low carb meal plan.
Make these Sausage and Pepper Sandwiches and use the Keto Slider Roll for the bread.
If you made this recipe for Low Carb Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms, please leave a comment and rating below!
Low Carb Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- ⅓ lb ground venison hot sausage cooked and crumbled
- 8 oz baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¼ cup onions chopped
- ½ cup white wine
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 ounces cheddar gruyere cheese shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Clean mushroom caps and remove stems. Set caps aside and chop stems into small pieces.
- Cook ground venison sausage over medium heat until no longer pink. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add onion and mushroom stems to skillet and cook until softened. Slowly add white wine to de-glaze pan and simmer until wine has evaporated. Add sausage and cream cheese to skillet and stir to combine. Stir in ½ half of shredded cheddar.
- Spoon filling into mushroom caps. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar and bake in 400 degree oven for 15 - 20 minutes. Remove from oven and serve while hot.
These were great. I used regular pork sausage but replaced the onions with chopped jalapenos. And used bone broth instead of wine. Can't wait to make them again. Thanks!
Shelby Law Ruttan
Hi Josh, so happy these were delicious for you! I love that you improvised and went with the chopped jalapenos, that sounds delicious! Thank you for stopping by to let me know. ˜Shelby
Are you using breakfast sausage or Italian sausage?
Hi Liz, I have used Italian Hot Sausage because I like the heat, but you can use Italian Sweet Sausage if you wish. I buy mine ground, however, you can still buy the links and just remove the casing if you can't find the ground. Enjoy!
Elysia | Haute & Healthy Living
I've never tried making stuffed mushrooms but these look SO good! I'll have to try these out sometime! Thanks for the inspiration!!
Tara @ Unsophisticook
These sound amazing! Perfect for dinner or as an appetizer.
Healthy World Cuisine
Absolutely brilliant and so delicious. Will certainly try this recipe this weekend. Have a super week.
Helen of Fuss Free Flavours
These stuffed mushrooms look like a real treat, and very moreish. The venison will add extra flavour and go perfectly with the mushroom. Great idea for hot party food.
This is such a wonderful idea for appetizers. Stiffing sausage in mushrooms and then all that cheese, looks so tummy ! Will give it a try !
Jessy @ The Life Jolie
Yum- all that melty cheese makes me happy! These would be great for a festive holiday celebration!
Wow! These look amazing! I'd totally eat this for dinner and be 100% happy! I feel like if we should use the good china for everyday meals, then appetizers should not be reserved only for parties! Let's start a use the good dishes and eat appetizers for dinner movement! ?
Lisa | Garlic + Zest
These stuffed mushrooms look so tasty - but I don't think I've ever seen venison hot sausage in our stores... think good old fashioned hot italian would work?
Certainly would Lisa! I would tend to go the Hot Italian Sausage myself if I did not have the venison. The flavor can't be beat!
jacquee | i sugar coat it!
Mmmm...that melted cheese on top just screams EAT ME!!
Those are just gorgeous! Perfect for any holiday event. Venison, too!