This Chicken Sausage Pizza with Onions and Peppers is made with flavored chicken sausage and onions and peppers that were sautéed before adding to the topping. This pizza is like having a gourmet sausage hoagie on a pizza crust that is full of delicious Italian flavors.
Friday Night is Pizza Night at the Grumpy House
We will eat pizza just about any night of the week, but Friday night is always pizza night at our home. I love to share a variety of pizza types with the family and sometimes I have one that is too much of a winner to not write it down.
What you need to make Chicken Sausage Pizza
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases from affiliate links.
Chicken Sausage: I used a Sweet Italian Sausage that you find in the refrigerated section of the grocery stores. To give it some char, I sliced the sausages and cooked them with the peppers and onions before topping the pizza.
Cheese: The best cheese for pizza is a whole-milk mozzarella cheese that is not pre-shredded. You can shred it yourself or buy fresh mozzarella and cut it into slices to top the pizza.
Pizza Stone: While I have used a baking sheet to make pizza, A pizza stone is the best way to cook any pizza. Place it in the lowest shelf in your oven at a hot temp and it will create magic with your pizza crust.
Pizza Cutter: This is an absolute must and I use this pizza cutter. It's inexpensive and it gets the job done.
Onions and Green and Red Peppers: Fresh is best. I like to cut them in slices like they would be if you were putting them in a sausage hoagie.
Homemade Pasta Sauce: I love a good thick pasta sauce so I usually make my own. This recipe is low carb, sugar-free, and super delicious!
Other ways to make this Chicken Sausage Pizza
- Grill the chicken sausages first, then slice them to top the pizza.
- Try the buffalo chicken sausage and instead of pasta sauce, use a buffalo wing sauce to top the pizza. Use mozzarella cheese and blue cheese if desired and sprinkle some red onion slices over top of the pizza.
- Remove the casing from the chicken sausages and dice them into smaller pieces before sauteeing in the skillet.
- Make a stuffed crust pizza and take string cheese and roll the crust edge up around the cheese, pinching the dough to seal the cheese inside.
- Brush the crust with a garlic butter sauce or olive oil before coating it with toppings.
A variety of pizza recipes for Pizza Night!
Since I first made this recipe, we have changed our diet lifestyle to keto. Our household has become a home of keto and non-keto recipes. Below are some of our favorites.
Keto Pizza Recipes
First, you need a low carb pizza crust. Then build the rest of this pizza on top of the crust, following the directions in the keto pizza crust recipe.
Short Rib Pizza makes use of any leftover short ribs you may have. Or, just go ahead and make some short ribs so you can make this pizza!
Salami Pizza with Garlic and Chili Oil is a little sweet with a little heat and loved by my non-keto as well as keto family members.
Barbecue Chicken Pizza is probably my favorite keto pizza of all.
Non-Keto Pizza Recipes
My family loves this Cheeseburger Pizza. I think it's super delicious when it is covered in Garlic Dill Pickles!
Buffalo Chicken Pizza is another family favorite. We love the blue cheese crumbles, but some of the family will opt to dip the pizza in blue cheese dressing also.
Heirloom Tomato Pizza is a favorite we make when we have an abundant amount of tomatoes from the garden.
Steak and Potato PIzza is a hearty and delicious household favorite. If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend it.
*If you made this Chicken Sausage Pizza Recipe, please give it a star rating*
Chicken Sausage Pizza
- [Homemade Pizza Dough]
- 3 Sweet Italian Chicken Sausages sliced
- 1 small onion sliced
- ½ green pepper sliced into strips
- ½ red pepper sliced into strips
- ½ cup pasta sauce
- 2 cups Mozzarella and Cheddar Cheese blend divided
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Press the homemade pizza dough over the pizza stone.
- Spread ½ cup of homemade pasta sauce over top of the dough.
- Sprinkle 1- ½ cups of the mozzarella cheese over top of the sauce layer.
- Spread the chicken sausages, onions, and peppers evenly over top of the pizza. Sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella cheese over top of the chicken sausage mixture.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and lightly browned.