When Grumpy asks for seconds……then I know I’ve done good!

So far this week I have been lucky to have Grumpy home at a decent hour. Therefore, I have a reason to cook a real meal! I called him before I left the office to see when to expect him. When he said “soon” I knew I had to think fast. What could I make!! I don’t like to make convenience foods too often although I do when its basically just Grumpy eating – for some unknown reason he likes things like hamburger helper and boxed macaroni and cheese! I was tempted to buy some Manwich. Then I thought, why buy a can when I can make some homemade just as fast and probably it would taste better?

I stopped at the store on the way home to pick up some rolls and coleslaw at the deli. On my way to the check out I heard someone behind me and it was my DIL Kristina! She was in there buying puppy food for little miss Isabelle (their puppy). I told her that I dropped a piece of the Apple Pie off for Justin on my way to work this morning (yup, I read her comment and was tickled she was commenting!) and then I told her I had something for her in my car. And what do you know….she knew exactly what it was! Truffles! 🙂 I told her we will get together soon and I’m free on Sunday so hopefully I can get over to visit them and Isabelle too! Maybe we can even make a treat together! How about it Krissy? Think about what you would like to make with me!! 😀

Anyway, I’m getting off track. About dinner. I looked at a few different recipes but didn’t make one specific one. I took ideas and went with my own. I knew I did it right when Grumpy was finished with the two I gave him and asked if he could have more! Be still my heart. He liked my homemade version! Here is how I did it:

HoneyB’s Sloppy Joes
Made with lots of love 🙂

1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 pound ground venison
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1 t. cumin seed – crushed
1/8 t. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
1 small can tomato sauce
1 T. brown sugar
3/4 C. ketchup
1/3 C. water

Saute onions, peppers and garlic in olive oil until softened. Add ground venison and cook until no longer pink. Drain fat.

Add crushed cumin seed, chili powder, cinnamon and salt and stir until mixed well. Add tomato sauce, brown sugar, ketchup and water. Cook, stirring, over low heat for a few minutes until thickened.

Slice onion bun in half, place sloppy joe mixture on top, top this with about 1/4 cup coleslaw. Grumpy likes me to put more sloppy joe mixture on top of the bun after this! I personally like the bottom half of the bun with some sauce and coleslaw. Served open faced. In any case, its messy, therefore sloppy!

Enjoy!

1. Barbara Bakes October 15, 2008 at 5:29 am - Reply

I like the new look with the apple pie! This looks like something my hubby would like too!

2. Pam October 15, 2008 at 2:06 pm - Reply

Your picture is making me drool. I love sloppy joes! Adding cinnamon is a great idea. Looks really good.

3. RecipeGirl October 15, 2008 at 3:19 pm - Reply

That sloppy stuff looks simply drooly. I grew up eating sloppy joes on a weekly basis, and I often forget to make them for my own family! Neat idea to add coleslaw to the sandwich too!

4. Carrie October 15, 2008 at 5:00 pm - Reply

Sounds good, I’ll have to try a veggie version!

5. Jessie October 15, 2008 at 7:53 pm - Reply

I’m positively stuffed from lunch, but I feel like I could eat two of these! YUM.

+Jessie
    a.k.a. The Hungry Mouse

6. Flourchild October 15, 2008 at 9:45 pm - Reply

Oh my these look so good. My hubby and son love sloppy joes. I would love to try your recipe and plan to soon.

Im glad when you saw the snow you thought of little ole me in Idaho!! It has all most melted entiredy. THere still is a dusting on the highest mountain peak, but other then that it’s looking like fall. In face the weather today was 62 degrees!! Im sure it won’t be long before we get dumped on again.

Ya your award made my week. Coming from the Blogging QUEEN it truly was an honor!! I really do enjoy your recipes and stories of Grumpy! Im sooo glad he liked the sloppy joes..who wouldn’t!

Take care my blogger buddy =)..Michelle

7. Flourchild October 15, 2008 at 9:46 pm - Reply

sorry for the typos….;)

8. Arika October 15, 2008 at 11:04 pm - Reply

Yum! What a blast from the past! I am going to have to give this recipe a shot. We always have ours with bread and butter pickles. Delicious!

Arika
    My Yummy Life

9. Arika October 15, 2008 at 11:05 pm - Reply

Yum! What a blast from the past. I am definitely going to give these a shot. We have ours with bread and butter pickles. Delicious!

Arika
    My Yummy Life

10. noble pig October 16, 2008 at 12:15 am - Reply

That looks to die for. I mean it does! I love it…must make it for my hard working hubby.

11. Michele October 16, 2008 at 2:45 pm - Reply

I made homemade sloppy joes out of necessity once when I was cooking for the deli that I managed. They were such a hit that I ended up making them twice a week for the entire seven years that I worked there. 🙂
    Your version sounds rich with spice…I bet that they were fabulous with the coleslaw. Glad to hear that you made Grumpy’s tummy happy!

12. SaraLynn October 16, 2008 at 5:03 pm - Reply

my family would dig this!!

13. Audrey October 16, 2008 at 10:59 pm - Reply

I think sloppy joes (from the Betty Crocker Cookbook for Boys and Girls) were one of the first things I ever cooked…and I don’t want to tell you how long I’ve been using that recipe! I like the flavorings in this one…I may not use the venison, but I would like to try the rest of your combination of ingredients!

14. Kevin October 17, 2008 at 10:49 am - Reply

That Sloppy Joe looks good! I like that you put the coleslaw in the sandwich. I will have to try that next time.