Chicken Baseballs are a quick and easy recipe for your weeknight dinner. Crescent roll dough is wrapped around a creamy chicken and mushroom filling and baked until golden brown. This delicious chicken recipe is ready in 30 minutes and is great for those busy weeknights.
This is a great weeknight meal to feed your family on those busy nights when there is so much after school activity happening. The filling is easy to prepare ahead of time so all you need to do is assemble the Chicken Baseballs and bake them when you get home. Getting dinner on the table in under 30 minutes is always a home run!
The origin of Chicken Baseballs
I first came across this easy chicken recipe when I was attending Weight Watcher meetings years ago. The original Chicken Baseball recipe uses reduced fat crescent rolls and skim milk. I have gravitated towards using regular crescent rolls when I make this recipe. The regular crescent rolls seem to hold together better for me and I like the flavor better.
I made Chicken Baseballs many times over the years and I most always add fresh sauteed mushrooms to the chicken and cream cheese mixture. Sometimes I will add frozen peas and carrots instead. It all depends on the way I feel at the time! I also have a Buffalo Chicken Baseballs version that we make when the mood hits for those flavors!
Chicken Baseballs - different ways to make them
What is so great about this recipe is it is very versatile and you can make slight changes without really affecting the outcome of the recipe. Below are some ways I have changed the recipe over the years.
- Finely crush 8 buttery crackers and combine with ½ tbsp dried parsley. Use this in place of the bread crumb topping. Or, leave the topping off entirely.
- Stir in ½ cup shredded cheese to the cream cheese mixture to make it cheesier!
- Omit the mushrooms and add 1 cup of your favorite vegetable. I have used green peas or a pea and carrot mixture. Thaw the veggies first, then add them to the chicken before pouring the cream cheese mixture over top.
- If you don't have dried minced onion, add ⅓ cup diced onion to the mushrooms when cooking. Do the same with garlic, mince 2 cloves of garlic and cook with mushrooms instead of using garlic powder.
Make these Chicken Baseballs low carb and keto-friendly!
You may be wondering it making these low carb and keto-friendly can be done. The answer is a big resounding yes! I used this Low Carb Pizza Crust recipe and treated it the same way you treat the crescent roll dough.
When making the filling, be sure to use full-fat cream cheese in place of the reduced-fat cream cheese and almond milk in place of skim milk. Just be sure to handle these with care when transferring to the baking sheet.
What to serve with Chicken Baseballs
Chicken Baseballs are like a whole meal rolled into one. Pun intended here! For that reason, I will serve up some fresh cut veggies and dip or a Minted Melon Salad. The melon salad takes up two roles when I serve it, side dish and dessert!
Other crescent roll recipes you may like
Crescent Roll Dough is so versatile and makes everything easier! You can use it in many recipes, from appetizer to dessert. Below are some other recipes we love that you may enjoy too!
Crescent Roll Breakfast Recipes
5-Ingredient Maple Bacon Breakfast Rolls are a long-time favorite that is a great recipe to make when the family is around. The sweet, salty, and smoky combination is addicting! We also love this Caramel Apple Cheese Danish and Pumpkin Danish Braid. And, if you're looking for savory, we love this Breakfast Crescent Ring with Sausage and Egg!
Crescent Roll Lunch Recipes
Crescent roll dough is great for lunches also! This recipe for Easy Carrot Shaped Veggie Pizza Bars are not only fun for kids but adults too! Spicy BBQ Chicken Crescents with a side of green peas make another easy and delicious lunch. Another great pizza with crescent roll dough is this Taco Appetizer Pizza. It may be labeled appetizer, but to me it makes a great lunch also!
Crescent Roll Appetizer Recipes
I am an appetizer girl. So, when it comes down to it, making an appetizer with crescent roll dough is great. Hand-held food is where it's at! Grumpy really loves these Sausage Pineapple Roll Ups with their sweet, salty, and savory flavors. And these Bratwurst Bites with Sauerkraut Dipping Sauce are out of this world yummy!
Crescent Roll Dinner Recipes
Skip takeout (or drive-thru) and make this better than a takeout recipe for White Castle Casserole. This delicious treat will make you feel like your eating out. Or, if you feel like comfort food, these Mini Beef Pot Pies are just what you need!
Crescent Roll Dessert Recipes
Who doesn't love cheesecake? It is one of our favorites here and this Sopapilla Cheesecake is easy and delicious. You get a different flavor and texture in every layer when you bite into it!
This recipe for Chicken Baseballs with Creamy Mushroom Filling is a great recipe to make ahead! They reheat well in the microwave!
*If you made this recipe, please leave a star rating!*
Chicken Baseballs with Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- 8 oz fresh sliced mushrooms
- 2 tbsp butter divided
- 4 oz reduced fat or fat free cream cheese
- 2 Tbsp skim milk
- 1-½ tsp dried minced onion
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast diced
- 1 tube reduced fat crescent rolls
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- In a skillet, over medium heat, add 1 tbsp butter and mushrooms. Cook until all water is cooked out and mushrooms become slightly brown. Add chicken and stir to combine. Remove from heat.
- In mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, 1 Tbsp melted butter, 2 Tbsp milk, 1-½ tsp minced dried onion, ½ tsp garlic powder, ½ tsp salt, and ½ tsp black pepper. Mix until well blended. Pour mixture over chicken and stir until combined.
- Separate crescent rolls into 4 rectangles and seal perforations. Spoon ½ cup of chicken mixture in center and of crescent roll rectangle. Pull opposite corners toward the center and seal dough to completely cover filling. The end result will be a baseball shape.
- Place each chicken baseball on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at
- Mix together finely crushed crackers and dried parsley. Sprinkle each baseball. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.