I was quite nervous when I made this Scallop Carbonara for our dinner on Sunday evening. I've said it several times: I am not a big egg person. Especially when it involves an egg yolk. Hence, I cannot make my own Ceasar salad dressing because I get queasy when I eat it just knowing it had raw egg yolk in it. I have shied away from Carbonara for as long as I have because of that very reason. I don't care that the heat from the pasta (or in this case, the cream that is whisked into the egg) cooks the egg. It still makes me queasy. However, it was inevitable that I would be making it in my life because it was one dish that Grumpy consistently orders out.
When my parents were here last weekend, we took them over to the Fresh Market in Latham. I knew that they would love the place and as long as mom felt up to going, we wanted to show it to them. While browsing around I finally came across the bucatini pasta that I had been looking for. I snatched the package right up. It could have cost me $10 for all I cared, I wanted to try that pasta! (it wasn't that much by the way). I immediately started thinking what I was going to make with it. I really wanted to try a BLT Spaghetti that Rachel Ray made on her show recently. I loved how she dropped the pasta in the pesto and coated it. Yum! However, I knew Grumpy probably wouldn't be as happy with that meal as he would if I made a seafood pasta one. So, I started looking for Carbonara recipes. I found a recipe for Bucatini Carbonara with Zucchini on Epicurious. I decided I would go with the basics of that recipe and fix it up the way Grumpy would like with bay scallops and asparagus in place of the zucchini. Grumpy said it had good flavor, that I cooked the scallops perfectly.
Oh, and by the way, I love the bucatini pasta! I have half the package left and will definitely be making a dish for me with the remainder!
Don't forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products!
When you make this recipe, please comment below and let me know what you think. I'd love it if you tag me on Instagram @grumpyshoneybunch or #grumpyshoneybunch so I can see your photos!
If you love this recipe, please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating
Scallop Carbonara with Asparagus
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until al dente according to package directions. Drain well and return pasta to pot.
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until browned, stirring often. Using slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to paper towels and drain. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings from skillet.
- Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the scallops and cook until they just turn opaque. Remove the scallops from the skillet.
- Add asparagus and saute until tender, stirring occasionally, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a large plate and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Crack eggs into large bowl and whisk to blend and set aside.
- Add the cream, garlic, and crushed pepper to bacon drippings in the skillet and bring to boil. Gradually whisk hot cream mixture into eggs. Mix in ¼ cup of the Parmesan cheese.
- Add the cream sauce sauce to the cooked pasta and toss over medium heat until sauce coats pasta (do not boil).
- Add the cooked bacon and asparagus and toss to heat through. Serve with remaining cheese.