Mom's Rhubarb Sauce Recipe is a simple recipe made with just 5 ingredients. The fruit sauce has a sweet and tangy flavor and is one of my favorite rhubarb recipes.
This recipe is the best rhubarb sauce recipe and the touch of vanilla added to it at the end is my favorite way of making it. It is a delicious addition to sweet desserts and makes a delicious topping for vanilla ice cream.
❤️ Why you'll love it
✔️ You can make some delicious recipes using rhubarb sauce like this Rhubarb cheese danish.
✔️ Rhubarb sauce has incredible flavor and it can be used to accompany sweet and savory dishes.
✔️ It has 0g total fat and only 43 calories per serving and can easily be made sugar free by using a natural sweetener in place of sugar.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Raw rhubarb, cut into 1-inch pieces
Pure vanilla extract (optional)
- Place rhubarb chunks, water, salt, and granulated sugar, in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring the rhubarb mixture to a boil then turn the heat to medium-low and cook for 10 minutes, or until the rhubarb has broken down and become soft.
- Allow the sauce to cool completely before storing.
Potato masher or immersion blender
Store rhubarb sauce in airtight container in refrigerator up to 1 week. Can freeze for up to 3 months in a freezer containers.
- Frozen rhubarb can be substituted for fresh rhubarb.
- Make strawberry rhubarb sauce and substitute 1-½ cup strawberries for 1-½ cup rhubarb.
- Scrape the seeds from a 1" piece of vanilla bean and use in place of the extract.
- Eliminate vanilla and add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and 1 teaspoon lemon zest.
- Substitute brown sugar or maple syrup for the sugar.
- If harvesting your own rhubarb, be sure to pull the entire stalk out of the ground. Cutting the rhubarb will stop any new stalks from coming in. Rhubarb will continue to grow for a good length of time if it is being harvested properly.
- For a less sweet rhubarb sauce, cut the sugar down to ½ cup.
Rhubarb is a perennial plant that grows like crazy in the right element. It is a sturdy plant that is in the fruit family. However, it's flavor is very tart with no sweetness at all.
Yes, some rhubarb is greener than others. I like to choose stalks that are mostly red so I can get that beautiful color to the sauce. However, both types have the same flavor.
Rhubarb leaves are toxic and should not be consumed. Rather in the compost or trash. The poisonous acid in the leaves is not absorbed into the ground and can be used as fertilizer
🍽 Serve with...
Homemade rhubarb sauce is a simple condiment that fancies up a slice of pound cake or adds some sweetness to plain greek yogurt sprinkled with granola. It is also great used as an ingredient in other recipes like this Rhubarb Cheese Danish!
🏫 The last word
- Rhubarb season begins in spring, sometime in April and can go as far as July. Once it starts to get very warm out, the rhubarb tends to not produce firm tall stalks If you need to buy it, Rhubarb is a seasonal fruit that can be found on roadside stands and in the produce section grocery stores.
- Rhubarb stalks can be bright red or light green with a touch of red. For the best results, choose 12-18" long crisp stalks that are about ¾" in diameter.
- If harvesting your own rhubarb, stop doing so when the stalks become thin. This is a sign the plant is not getting enough food.
Don't forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products!
When you make this recipe, please comment below and let me know what you think. I'd love it if you tag me on Instagram @grumpyshoneybunch or #grumpyshoneybunch so I can see your photos!
If you love this recipe, please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating
Mom's Rhubarb Sauce
- Place rhubarb chunks, water, salt, and granulated sugar, in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Bring the rhubarb mixture to a boil then turn the heat to medium-low and cook for 10 minutes, or until the rhubarb has broken down and become soft.
- Remove the sauce from the stove and stir in the vanilla. Allow the sauce to cool completely before storing in the refrigerator.