Rhubarb Cheese Danish has the perfect amount of sweetness combined with just enough tart. A flaky buttery breakfast pastry filled with cheese and rhubarb sauce that is perfect for weekend brunch. It is also excellent to serve for mother's day, bridal showers, or just because.
The rhubarb sauce in this cheese danish recipe brings breakfast to a whole new level of delicious. It is an excellent way to enjoy this spring fruit in it's sweet form.
Making Recipes With Rhubarb
If asked what I look forward to most every spring, it would be to see the rhubarb sprouting up out of the ground. A signal to me that not only is better weather on it's way, but several delicious rhubarb recipes will be made over the next few months.
Rhubarb is a "fruit" that can be enjoyed in savory and sweet dishes. Rhubarb on it's own is super tart and sugar is a must to sweeten it up. The leaves of the rhubarb plant should never be consumed as they are toxic. It comes in two colors, red and green. Both are just as delicious, but the red is definitely more appealing.
Braiding The Rhubarb Cheese Danish Dough
At first, making a danish that is as beautiful as a braided danish may seem difficult. But, it is actually quite easy to do. It’s as easy as pulling a sheet of ready made puff pastry out of the freezer!
Place the thawed pastry out on a 9×13 cookie sheet covered with parchment paper. Nex, cut ½ inch strips from the fold of the dough out. See the photo below for a visual.
The cheese filling and rhubarb sauce are placed down the center of the dough and the strips that were cut away from the fold will Add the cheese and rhubarb filling down the center of the dough then it’s onto the braid!
When starting to fold over the strips, it is always important to bring the first two straight over top of the filling. Then, start the criss cross that makes the braid. The same thing needs to be done at the bottom of the braid also.
What You Need To Make This Rhubarb Cheese Danish Recipe
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Frozen Puff Pastry that has been thawed.
Rhubarb Sauce Recipe
Tips and Substitutions
- Substitute crescent roll dough for the puff pastry. It won't be as flaky, but it will still be delicious.
- Substitute lemon or cherry pie filling for different flavored fruit filled cheese danish.
- Dust the cooled danish with powdered sugar or drizzle with a vanilla flavored icing.
- Be sure to allow the rhubarb cheese danish to cool for 15 minutes before serving. Hot fruit and cheese can burn quickly and easily.
- Serve it as dessert with a scoop of this tasty Rhubarb Ice Cream!
Other Delicious Rhubarb Recipes To Try
Rhubarb Dream Bars (keto)
*If you made this recipe for rhubarb cheese danish, please give it a star rating*
Rhubarb Cheese Danish
- Preheat the oven 400°. to In a large mixing bowl, mix the cream cheese, 1 egg, granulated sugar, and the salt until creamy. Set aside.
- Lay the thawed puff pastry dough out on a parchment lined 9x13 cookie sheet. Roll the puff pastry out with a pastry roller until the dough creases smooth out.
- Starting from the inner seam where the dough was folded in half, cut 12, ½ inch strips on each side of the pastry dough going out to the end of the dough.
- Spread the cheese mixture over the center of the dough. Place the rhubarb sauce over the top of the cheese mixture.
- Shape the danish by folding the top two strips of dough over top of filling and start to braid the dough by bringing the strip from the left over to the right, then the strip from the right over to the left. Tuck into the danish to seal.
- Continue with the braid until the the last two strips at the bottom. Bring the bottom two strips up towards the filling and and fold them over top of the danish. Then, bring the last two strips across each other and pinch slightly to seal.
- Whisk the remaining egg until well combined. Brush the danish evenly with the egg. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, or until the danish is golden brown.
- Remove the danish from oven and let cool at 10 minutes before serving. Store leftovers in a covered container.