Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies bring a minty flavor to this holiday cookie and are a great one to share this Christmas season with your friends who love chocolate and living a lower sugar or diabetic lifestyle!
I always like to make a few "new to me" cookie recipes to try for the Holiday Season. Finding one that is considered to be better for you and tasty can be a challenge. With Grumpy being diabetic, I am always thinking about what would be better for him to eat, which in turn ends up being better for us all. These Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies fit that bill quite perfectly!
Peppermint is synonymous with Christmas Treats. Every time the season begins you see peppermint popping up in drinks and baked goodies. I am a huge fan of peppermint and combining it with chocolate just seems to be a natural pairing!
These came together without a fuss and the recipe only makes a dozen cookies so that you don't wind up with too many to clean up. After the dough is brought together and scooped onto the cookie tray, it is placed in the freezer for 10 minutes. The dough is flattened slightly after removing from the freezer, then baked. What comes out at the end is soft and full of chocolate flavor. The addition of the crushed peppermint immediately out of the oven gives that Christmas feel to the cookie.
I found this recipe in the most recent issue of Diabetic Living. I did find that they should be eaten the same day that they are made as they tend to moisten up within 24 hours and cause the crushed peppermint on top to start dissolving.
- 1-¼ cups flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- ⅓ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 tablespoons dark chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons crushed peppermint candies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl stir together the flour, cocoa powder, salt and soda.
- In another bowl mix the butter, granulated sugar and peppermint extract until combined. Stir in almond milk.
- Add flour to butter/milk mixture and stir until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Scoop cookies with cookie scoop (1 tablespoon size) and roll into a ball. Place on parchment lined cookie sheet/. Continue until you have 12 cookies. Place cookie sheet in freezer for 10 minutes. Remove from freezer and flatten slightly. Bake at 350 for 10 to 12 minutes or until set.
- Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle with crushed peppermint candy. Cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack.
Leave a comment