It's that time of the week again. Yup. Pancake time. This morning when I signed into allrecipes.com the recipe of the day happened to be another pancake recipe. This time it was for Chunky Monkey Pancakes. I knew as soon as I saw it that was what I would be making this morning.
I did my workout and burned up those calories so I wouldn't feel too guilty about eating one of these pancakes. By the time I was done with my workout and had a load of wash going I was ready to eat. Grumpy, unlike me, could wait til almost noon on the weekend to eat breakfast. Me on the other hand, well, I'm up at the crack of dawn and have almost all my housework done along with my workout before 10 AM! About 10:30 I asked Grumpy if he would be ready to eat breakfast. When I said "cakes" he said, oh probably. (like I would say much anything other than cakes!).
I set to work and got my ingredients together. After mixing the batter I thought it looked a little too thin for my liking, but I tried two pancakes first anyway. It was too thin. They were not going to puff up with the batter so thin, so I added more. The original recipe also calls for pecans but I eliminated them. I knew putting something in the pancakes was going to already be something that would make Grumpy give me a look, so I left the nuts alone. When I asked him how he liked them his response was, "I could do without the chocolate". what? LOL Yeah. He's a little on the nutty side himself. I loved them and probably would love them with the nuts also. So, if your looking for a different pancake to make and Chunky Monkey appeals to you, then go ahead. Try them!
- 1-⅓ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¾ cup milk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 large banana, diced (save a few slices to top the pancake)
- ¼ cup miniature chocolate chips
- Stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, milk and vanilla. Make a well in dry ingredients and pour milk mixture into well, immediately pour in melted butter. Whisk until blended. Fold in banana and chocolate chips.
- Cook on griddle coated with baking spray until tops of pancakes start to bubble. Flip and cook another 30-40 seconds or until pancakes are cooked through. Top with banana slices, a few mini chocolate chips and pure maple syrup!
CHUNKY MONKEY BREAKFAST CAKES - PIN IT!