Cheesecake Stuffed French Toast Sliders are potato slider buns filled with a sweetened mascarpone cream, dipped in an egg batter and fried in your skillet. Top with some fresh berries and pure maple syrup and your weekend brunch just got fancy!
Sometimes recipes are pulled out of the hat from the need to use up leftovers. That is basically what happened on our Memorial Day morning this year!
I had made sliders earlier in the week and a package of 12 buns for two people really is more than we need. I don't mind freezing the buns but when I do that, sometimes I forget I have them in the freezer and by the time I remember, it's too late and they are freezer burnt! I didn't want to do that this time, so I started brainstorming about what I could do, hence these Cheesecake Stuffed French Toast Sliders were born!
When I was young, one of my favorite breakfasts that mom would make for me would be french toast. I loved the cinnamon and vanilla scented batter that the toast was dipped in, it smelled so warm and homey to me!
I didn't encounter stuffed french toast until my adult years. The first time I ever had a stuffed french toast it was an apricot cheese filling and was delicious! This time I went with the mascarpone cream filling since I had some left over from our dessert the previous night.
The slider rolls worked perfectly. I flattened them out a little before spreading the cream on them, then after I put them on the griddle, I flattened them some more with the spatula.
They came out as perfect little sweet cheese filled rounds of vanilla cinnamon battered deliciousness!
Topped with some fresh blueberries and strawberries.
Drizzled with some pure maple syrup!
Grumpy finished his plate and promptly asked for seconds. He only ever does that when he really loved something! I said to him "so you like them?" His response being "they were surprisingly good" LOL! Oh Grumpy! He's usually an oatmeal man every day of the week and never would request french toast as he prefers waffles and pancakes. He really enjoyed the mascarpone cream filling!
Have you come up with a recipe that turned out "fancy" despite the fact part of the ingredients you were using were leftovers?
- 8 slider buns (like Martin's Potato Slider Buns)
- 8 tablespoons sweetened mascarpone cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup fat free half and half
- cooking spray
- maple syrup
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 cups fresh diced strawberries
- Whisk together egg, cinnamon, vanilla, and half and half. Set aside.
- Spread 1 tablespoon mascarpone cream on bottom half of slider roll. Cover with top of bun. Repeat with remaining rolls.
- Heat griddle over medium heat. When griddle is hot, spray with cooking spray if needed. Dip bun in egg mixture and cook until browned. Press bun slightly when cooking. Flip bun and cook on other side until browned. Serve with fresh fruit and maple syrup.