Shrimp and Avocado Chaffle Sandwich first appeared on Low Carb Maven where I am an author.
This Cajun-flavored Shrimp and Avocado Chaffle is a delicious low carb sandwich that is perfect for lunch! Full of tasty ingredients like shrimp, avocado, and bacon, this Keto Friendly lunch can be prepared ahead of time and assembled later, making it an easy portable meal.
A Keto Sandwich worth trying!
I have always had a problem with making sandwiches since we started following the keto diet. Low carb bread has been a difficult thing for my husband to transition to. I also found that the texture didn’t always lend well to a sandwich unless I toasted the bread and then it may still not be sturdy enough. I started making Kim’s Low Carb Bagel Recipe to make sandwiches with those. However, while I love keto bagels, trying to get my hubby to eat a one is not an easy task!
So, I had to find a way to make a sandwich my husband would eat. I happened across an Instagram post where I was introduced to the Chaffle. The waffle iron got pulled out of the cabinet and I immediately tried it! I quickly discovered this delicious treat literally firms up as it cools down. I tried it on hubby and it passed the test. The next step was this Cajun Shrimp and Avocado Chaffle Sandwich.
What is a chaffle sandwich?
It seems the Chaffle became an overnight sensation on Instagram. The chaffle recipe is basically a beaten egg with ½ cup of your choice of cheese that is poured into your waffle maker and cooked until crispy brown. It is also absolutely delicious! You can flavor it anyway your heart desires. Make it savory or sweet. For this Shrimp and Avocado Chaffle I decided upon a savory flavor.
I’m not sure who the genius is that came up with this idea, but I am going to be forever grateful to them for it. The Chaffle has opened up new doors for us and I will be enjoying it in many different forms going forward!
How to make Cajun Shrimp and Avocado Chaffle
Making this sandwich is super easy! I make all of the chaffles first. They don’t need to be hot to make this sandwich. As a matter of fact, it’s easier if the waffle has cooled down because it is sturdier and can hold the fillings much easier.
I wanted a blend of flavors that would be super delicious and irresistible to my family and myself. This Bacon Scallion Cream Cheese Spread is what I used to spread on the sandwich. It turned out to be a delicious, slightly sweet contrast of flavor!
I love sweet and heat combined. We also love shrimp! Because of this, I decided to saute some shrimp with cajun seasoning. And, I even included some of the cajun spice in the waffle! Toppings can be whatever you enjoy. We chose avocado, tomatoes, and red onion.
Make the Chaffle Sandwich your way
This particular keto recipe lends well to many different toppings. Below are some ideas you may want to consider when making this recipe.
- Substitute chicken tenders that have been cooked with cajun seasoning for the shrimp.
- Drizzle the sandwich with some Low Carb Thousand Island Salad Dressing instead of the cream cheese spread.
- Make an open-faced waffle sandwich and top it off with some homemade salsa and sour cream.
- Substitute a keto biscuit for the waffles and make mini sandwiches.
- Cut the waffle sandwich in quarters and serve them as appetizers.
What to serve with Shrimp and Avocado Chaffle Sandwiches
You may be wondering what you might serve with these a Chaffle sandwich. These Cajun Shrimp and Avocado Chaffles are pretty hearty and are great to make and serve as a half sandwich for lunch with a small side dish. Southern Green Beans or Sweet Bell Pepper Salad would be a great choice of a side dish for lunch. If you prefer something similar to chips, then these Keto Zucchini Chips are incredibly tasty!
*If you made this recipe, please give it a star rating.*
Shrimp and Avocado Chaffle Sandwich
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Cajun Flavored Chaffle
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon Cajun Seasoning
Chaffle Sandwich Filling
- 1 lb raw shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon bacon grease or avocado oil
- 4 slices sugar free uncured bacon . cooked
- 1 avocado sliced
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 Bacon Scallion Cream Cheese Spread optional
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- Whisk together 4 large eggs. Add 2 cups low moisture mozzarella cheese and 1 teaspoon of the cajun seasoning. Pour ¼ cup of cheese and egg mixture on a mini waffle maker. Cook until the chaffle is browned. Repeat with the remaining egg and cheese batter.
- In a large bowl, add shrimp and toss with the remaining 1 teaspoon of cajun seasoning. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook with bacon grease in a skillet over medium-high heat until shrimp is opaque. Remove cooked shrimp from skillet and set aside. Let cool if desired.
- To assemble the Chaffle Sandwich: Spread bacon scallion cream cheese over one side of a chaffle. Layer the shrimp, bacon, avocado, and red onion on top of the chaffle. Cover with another chaffle. Serve as desired.
I love that sandwich, and I and the variations. If you want a 'to die for bread' that has height, is fluffy, tastes like normal bread' then pull up the bread video put out by (The Keto KING). He has 2 to videos(same bread, just one in the bread machine, and the other is a different technique as it will end up in a loaf pan in your oven. It's excellent. I alternate between Chaffle, and or his bread. Hope this gives you a much needed option. I agree though, whoever came up with chaffles was a genius.