This Cajun Chicken Pasta is a copycat recipe from Chili's menu. Bite sized pieces of chicken are coated with cajun seasoning along with some garlic and umami powder (or seasoned salt) then simmered in heavy cream with peppers, onions and mushrooms then tossed with cooked pasta.
This make at home take out pasta dish is rich and delicious and a perfect celebration recipe to keep on hand. Cajun Chicken Pasta is quick and easy comfort food at its finest!
As most of you know by now, I have had some picky eaters in my home. They would complain about me making chicken whenever it is on the menu.
Most of the time I don't give these picky eater's a choice. Since I am the cook, I just make what I want, but I always try to find a way to please the picky eater who thinks that chicken is an inferior protein!
It turned out my picky eater thought this dish was absolutely delicious and ate every bit of their portion. I even received a thumbs up on the dish, so this is a definite winner recipe to try.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases from affiliate links.
Cajun seasoning: This is my favorite cajun spice.
Umami Powder: I love this umami powder and use it on everything I can.
Green and Red Bell Peppers
Bow Tie Pasta
- Use your favorite pasta shape. Chili's uses penne pasta, but I really love bow tie pasta. It makes the dish feel even more special
- Cook the pasta ahead of time so it is ready when you need to stir it into the sauce
- If you want a lighter dish, substitute half and half or light cream for the heavy whipping cream
- Substitute chicken breasts or thighs for the tenders.
- Substitute 1 pound of shrimp for the chicken.
- Sprinkle ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper over the chicken before cooking to give it a bigger kick.
- Don't increase the cajun seasoning. It is already salty. Follow the step above if you need more spice.
- Substitute olive oil for butter.
- Use half garlic and half onion powder.
- I like to use this Non Stick Skillet for this recipe.
Everyone knows that pasta and breads go together. After all, you want that bread to sop up all that yummy sauce in the bottom of your bowl!
One of my very favorite recipes to make when we have pasta is this Quick Dinner Roll recipe. If we are feeling extra indulgent, I will make this Cheesy Garlic Bread.
🐓 Other Chicken Recipes
Chicken with Leeks and Tomatoes over Linguine
One Pot Chicken Parmesan Pasta
*If you made this recipe for Cajun Chicken Pasta, please give it a star rating*
Cajun Chicken Pasta
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 6 ounces dried bow tie pasta cooked according to package
- ¾ pound chicken tenders cut bite sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- ⅓ cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms sliced
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 5 small leaves fresh basil cut into small pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the chicken pieces in a mixing bowl. Sprinkle the cajun seasoning, umami seasoning, and garlic powder over top of the chicken and toss.
- Heat the butter over medium high heat in a non stick skillet until hot. Add the chicken to the skillet and cook for 4 minutes, or until no longer pink, stirring often.
- Add the red bell pepper, green bell pepper, mushrooms and green onions. Cook and stir for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the heavy cream. Add the salt and pepper if using. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes, until heavy cream has begun to reduce.
- Stir in pasta bow ties and sprinkle with fresh basil. Stir to combine. Garnish with more fresh basil when ready to serve, if desired.
You have some great recipes! This looks so good. I am excited to follow. You can follow me back at http://www.pbandjoy.com/
This one looks really good...good job like always 🙂
This looks like a great little pasta dish to feed my husband and I. I'll have to try this next week.
I am always looking for a new pasta dish and that one looks like a winner!
The Duo Dishes
It's easy to get around not using the cream, especially if you have a little Greek yogurt or sour cream around. This works!
Cooking with Kait
Looks wonderful even without the heavy cream 🙂
Another delicious looking pasta recipe from you Shelby. It really does look restaurant quality!
Looks delicious! We love cajun chicken pasta here!
looks very good and sounds easy. perfect for a week night meal!
Looks and sounds great Shelby! I stumbled this for you!
Saw this on all recipes and looks beautiful one of my favorite versatile pastas, must have 15 boxes on hand. 🙂 Very nice recipe
It does look restaurant quality!