These Buttermilk Blueberry Muffins are my go-to muffin recipe. The are lightly sweet with a hint of lime, made tender with buttermilk and busting with fresh blueberries. They are a delicious part of your morning routine and are completely portable making them a great make and take breakfast.
Big, soft, fluffy and full of incredibly delicious good for you blueberries. Feel good about eating these Buttermilk Blueberry Muffins knowing that the King of Antioxidants is a part of your routine. I suggest serving a fresh bowl of blueberries right alongside these muffins for an added boost of fiber, Vitamin C, K, and Manganese!
Making Blueberry Recipes a part of my morning routine
While I love all fruits, cherries, peaches, and blueberries are at the top of the list. I love to bake with blueberries the most! The very first recipe I shared with blueberries was this Blueberry Coffee Cake. It is a long time family favorite recipe made for Sunday brunch..
I have several breakfast recipes with blueberries. Grumpy has told me he thinks I think his favorite fruit is the blueberry also! He and I have had this discussion because I have a hard time leaving blueberries out of pancakes. I come back with "they are called Fluffy Blueberry Pancakes, I can't leave them out!"
What you need to make Buttermilk Blueberry Muffins
Fresh Blueberries: These are the best choice if you have them. If not, frozen will work. Just be sure that you do not thaw them out first.
Buttermilk: The acidity in buttermilk helps to keep muffins moist and tender. I always use low-fat buttermilk, but non-fat can be substituted. I feel the tang of buttermilk really complements the blueberry muffin flavor.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases from affiliate links.
Muffin Pan: This muffin recipe makes 16 muffins. You need at least one 12 cup standard size muffin pan plus one 6 cup muffin pan. There are other options out there. My next choice is a mini ceramic loaf pan, which I used in the photos for this recipe.
Paper Liners: My favorite liner is a parchment paper liner.
Muffin Scoop: I use this ¼ cup sized scoop to portion the muffin batter into the baking cups.
Lime Zest: This is not an absolute requirement in the recipe, you can use lemon instead. However, I love the flavors of blueberry and lime. I use this microplane zester to get the zest from the fruit. It is an amazing tool!
Make this muffin recipe your way
These Buttermilk Blueberry Muffins are perfectly delicious as written. However, there are things you can do to change the recipe to make it work for you.
- Make your own buttermilk by adding 1 tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice to a 1 cup measure. Then, fill the measuring cup up to 1 cup and allow it to sit for at least 5 minutes before using.
- Swap the vanilla extract for almond extract.. I love the flavor and will exchange it teaspoon for teaspoon.
- Stir in some chocolate chips if you have a chocolate passion.
- If you are a person who likes to add nuts to their muffins, then chopped pecans or almonds are a great pairing with blueberries.
- Swap out the blueberries for fresh chopped cherries or strawberries, whole raspberries, or blackberries.
- Make a lime glaze with some lime juice and powdered sugar to drizzle over top of the muffin.
Other blueberry recipes you may enjoy at breakfast
This Peach Blueberry Burrata Quesadilla is different and delicious. If you haven't tried it, this is a must try recipe.
Cherry Blueberry Trifle is a delicious recipe to make the night before and let sit overnight for a morning breakfast.
Cornmeal Crepes with Ricotta Blueberry Filling is a sugar free breakfast we love to serve for Sunday brunch.
Blueberry Lemon Yogurt Cake is perfect for brunch or an afternoon snack with a hot cup of tea.
These Blueberry Coconut Muffins are a delicious combination.
*If you made this recipe for Buttermilk Blueberry Muffins, please give it a star rating*
Buttermilk Blueberry Muffins
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 large egg , lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh or frozen berries
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Line the muffin pans with paper liners or coat with a non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large measuring bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla extract.
- In another large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and zest.
- Gently fold the blueberries into the flour mixture. With a rubber spatula fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir only until the ingredients are combined. Do not over mix.
- Using a ¼ cup sized scoop, fill each muffin cup ¾ full with batter. Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean
- Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan.
Choc Chip Uru
You have such a wide range of recipes, I am going to love exploring 😀
And this first pick is a winner - these muffins look divine!
Choc Chip Uru
Latest: Coffee Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake