This Green Chicken Enchiladas recipe is a quick and easy casserole that has 11 net carbs per serving. This low carb casserole is made with a homemade green enchilada sauce and a simple filling of chicken, sauce, cilantro, and cheese. Making low carb Mexican food at home just got easier!
Serve this Green Chicken Enchilada recipe for dinner with a side of this low carb 3-Ingredient Cauliflower Spanish Rice for a complete Mexican themed meal!
Low Carb Casseroles
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases from affiliate links.
For the most part, I like to follow a lower carb lifestyle. At one point I did closely follow keto and while it was a good experiences, it was not something I could maintain long term do to my own nutritional needs.
Keto breads can be HARD for some to like. Especially when you are used to regular bread. And when it comes to tortillas, I am sad to say I just couldn't make my own that I could enjoy.
So, I decided to find a low carb tortilla in the store that I liked. Some are gummy and I just couldn't handle them. But the one I used in this recipe is much like a regular flour tortilla.
Because of this, when I do eat enchiladas or anything that requires a tortilla, I turn to a low carb one rather than a keto one. If you like a keto tortilla, then, by all means, go ahead and use them in this recipe. It is totally keto other than the tortilla.
Shredded Chicken: I used leftover roasted chicken breast. You can also cook the chicken to use in this recipe. The end result is you need 2 cups of cooked chicken.
Low Carb Flour Tortillas: I love this brand. This is probably the only low carb tortilla I have eaten that doesn't taste low carb.
Green Enchilada Sauce: I used this Homemade Green Enchilada Sauce. If you buy an enchilada sauce, just read the labels to make sure there are no added sugars. That raises the carb count.
Mexican Cheese Blend: I used a 4 cheese blend. Softer cheeses that will melt nicely are best. Think Colby, Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack, or Mozzarella.
Sour Cream: I used full fat because it is lower in carbs than reduced or fat-free sour cream.
- These Homemade Flour Tortillas are a delicious recipe if you are not concerned about eating low carb. If that is the case, substitute them for the low carb tortillas.
- If you have salsa verde on hand, it can be substituted for the green enchilada sauce.
- Sprinkle the baked green chicken enchilada casserole with chopped jalapeno or green chiles and diced tomato.
- Substitute red enchilada sauce for the green sauce. Stir a tablespoon of chili powder into the chicken mixture.
- Substitute Greek yogurt or softened cream cheese for the sour cream
Slow Cooker Option
This recipe can easily be converted to a slow cooker recipe. Spray the inside of the slow cooker with cooking spray.
Assemble the recipe as instructed, placing the enchiladas in the crock of the slow cooker.
Cook on low heat for 4 hours.
These Green Chicken Enchiladas are delicious on their own without any additions. But, it is always fun and delicious to serve them up with a Mexican side dish or plenty of other toppings!
- Drizzle with Mexican crema, salsa, green olives, and guacamole.
- Serve with a side of refried beans or cauliflower rice with green chili
- Serve with a side of Mexican Street Corn
Other Mexican Recipes you may like
*If you made this Green Chicken Enchilada Casserole, please give it a star rating*
Green Chicken Enchiladas - Low Carb recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the enchilada sauce and sour cream until well combined.
- In another bowl, mix together the chicken, cilantro, ½ cup of the enchilada cream sauce, and 1 cup of the shredded cheese. Stir to combine.
- Place one tortilla on a hard surface and spoon 2 tablespoons chicken mixture on one side of the tortilla. Roll to enclose filling.
- Place tortilla seam side down in a casserole dish that has been coated with cooking spray.
- Cover tortillas with remaining enchilada sauce. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes, or until sauce is bubbly and filling is hot.