Philly Cheesesteak Skillet Dip has all the flavors of a cheesesteak sandwich in a dip. This hearty dip is baked and served in a cast iron skillet, keeping it warm while your guests enjoy the cheesy goodness!
Are you ready for the Big Game party? Here’s a hearty dip sure to please all of your football fans and those who are just there for the beer, food, or to just watch the commercials!
What is the best cheese to use in this dip?
You can use a variety of cheese in your dip. Common cheeses used are a mixture of provolone, mozzarella or white cheddar and cream cheese. Some add a little Velveeta for a creamier texture. I used a combination of shredded mozzarella and provolone along with cream cheese.
What are the traditional ingredients used in a Philly Cheese Steak Skillet Dip?
- Beef, you can use deli beef or any leftover beef from steak or roasts you may have in your fridge.
- Green, red, or yellow Pepper
- Cheese, the dip recipe calls for two types of cheese. Cream cheese, Mozzarella, and Provolone. Or, feel free to use any other type
of cheeseyou may like. Popular cheeses to use are Velveeta and Cheese Whiz!
Authentic Philly cheese steak sandwiches are made from a thinly sliced ribeye. Leftover ribeye would be a perfect choice if you have any! Simply dice it into small cubes. Any leftover beef roast or steak would work. Just make sure it’s finely diced. Alternatively, you may make it with ground beef.
For my skillet Cheese Steak Dip recipe I used roast beef from the deli, sliced thinly then cut into small squares.
What can I use as a dipping foods for Philly Cheesesteak Skillet Dip
- Pork Rinds
- Fresh Vegetables
- Onion & Herb Crackers
- Squash Chips
- Jalapeno Parmesan Crisps
- Buttery Garlic Bread Chips
Because we were going to eat the Cheese Steak Dip immediately I made it in a cast iron skillet in the oven. For a party, I would double the recipe and make it/keep it warm in a slow cooker for guests to enjoy.
Other Cheesy Dip Recipes you may enjoy!
Philly Style Cheesesteak Skillet Dip
- ¾ lb finely diced cooked beef. See suggestions below.
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 green pepper diced
- 8 oz brick of cream cheese
- 1 lb of blend of shredded mozzarella and provolone cheese
- ⅓ c mayonnaise
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- 2 tbsp butter
- Sliced green onions for garnish optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Have cream cheese at room temperature in a large bowl for ease in mixing.
- In a cast iron skillet sauté the onions and peppers in butter until translucent. Add to the bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients and blend well. Taste to see if it needs any salt and pepper.
- Add the mixture into the same skillet you sautéed the vegetables in if it is large enough and bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Top with sliced green onions.
- Serve warm with the dippers.