These Low-Carb Barbecue "Beef" Spirals are perfect appetizers for all those forthcoming Game nights! This vegetarian version is so delicious that everyone will enjoy them! Made with the all new new MorningStar Farms® Meat Lovers Burgers, these ¼ pound burgers are packed with flavor and easy to prepare!
To make this recipe you will need 8 ingredients: Mozzarella cheese, cream cheese, almond flour, garlic powder, salt, egg, MorningStar Farms® Meat Lovers Burgers, low-sugar barbecue sauce, jalapeno, shredded 3-cheese blend.
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. The recipe for Low-Carb Barbecue "Beef" Spirals was made for this shop. #CollectiveBias #MorningStarFarms #MakeRoomOnYourGrill
I grew up in a very diverse eating situation. With a vegetarian Mom and a carnivore father, I was presented with all types of foods and recipes! However, when I was growing up, one thing we always loved to share with mom were her vegetarian burgers. It's incredible how far the veggie burger has come over the last 30 years! Just look at those veggie burgers on the grill! These are ¼ pound of yumminess with a beef-like texture that has 27 grams of protein!
Now when we all get together, I have a new veggie cuisine for all of us to enjoy! I guarantee that everyone in your family will love these burgers as much as we do. You will definitely want to make room on the grill for America's #1 Veggie Burger Brand!
I found the MorningStar Farms® Meat Lovers Burgers and Veggie Lovers Burgers at my local Walmart!
MorningStar Farms® Meat Lovers Burgers are not only great on your grill, but also can be used in recipes like these Low-Carb Barbecue Beef Pinwheels (vegetarian).
After trying these burgers, I decided that they would make a great addition to our game night gatherings. A vegetarian appetizer recipe was in order, so when I grilled up some of the Barbecue Beef Pinwheels I put a couple aside to use in my recipe. These burgers are substantial in size so I would only need a couple of burgers to make these spirals!
Make your Low-Carb dough
Making this low carb dough is so easy. This recipe is all over the internet in many forms. This particular method I found over at Ditch the Carbs and it is the best way to make the dough work the way I need it to when making anything that needs to be rolled or shaped. I mix everything except the egg together in a microwaveable bowl and microwave for a couple of minutes. Once I stir it and have it all combined well, I add the egg. Adding the egg to a hot mixture might sound crazy, but believe me, it really does work! This dough comes out smooth and so easy to work with!
Use parchment paper to roll out the low-carb dough and as a guide when rolling up to make your pinwheels!
Parchment paper will become your best friend whenever you make a low-carb dough. The dough itself is very fragile and can tear easily. Parchment paper makes it easier to roll out as well as to roll up.
Tips for the best results with this barbecue "beef" spirals recipe.
- Divide the dough in half before rolling out so you don't have oversized pinwheels (unless you want them to be oversized!)
- Thinner is better! Be sure to roll the dough out thin.
- Sprinkle the filling over top of the dough then spread the filling out and pack it in with a spoon so it's not loose.
- Use the parchment on the bottom of the dough to assist you in rolling up the pinwheel.
- Use a very sharp knife to slice your pinwheels and be gentle but firm when cutting.
A Quick And Easy Bake
This recipe doesn't take long in the oven. 12-15 minutes tops. Watch them as they bake and definitely check after 10 minutes.
Low Carb Barbecue "Beef" Spirals
For the Dough:
- 6 oz part-skim mozzarella shreds
- 2 oz full fat cream cheese cubed
- 3 oz super fine almond flour
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg beaten
For the Filling:
- 2 MorningStar Farms® Meat Lovers Burgers or Veggie Lovers Burgers
- 4 tablespoon [sugar-free barbecue sauce] or your favorite lower sugar sauce.
- 2 tablespoon diced jalapeno or green pepper
- ½ cup 3 cheese blend pre-shredded
!To make the Barbecue "Beef" filling:
- Crumble the veggie burger into small pieces and place in a small mixing bowl. Add barbecue sauce and jalapenos. Stir to combine. Set aside.
!To Make the Dough:
- Place part-skim mozzarella cheese, cream cheese, almond flour, garlic powder, and salt in microwave safe bowl and toss to combine. Place in microwave and cook on high power for 2 minutes. Remove from microwave and stir to combine. Mixture should turn into an elastic ball similar to bread dough.
- Add beaten egg to dough and stir until completely combined. Once combined you will have a smooth ball of dough that should be easy to handle.
- Divide dough in half. Set one half aside and cover with a damp paper towel. Place other half on parchment paper and flatten with hands. Place another piece of parchment paper on top and roll out into a rectangle shape, about 4" x 8".
- Sprinkle veggie burger mixture over top of dough, leaving room around the long edges. You want to be sure there is filling all the way to the edge on the short edges so there is filling in your first few slices.
- Using the parchment paper to help you roll, start rolling on the long side, tucking and squeezing slightly to make sure you can get the roll as tight as possible. Once it is all rolled together, slice into 12 - 14 even slices. Place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 12-14 minutes, until spirals are browned and cheese is bubbly. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro if desired.
- Serve with sides of sour cream, barbecue sauce, and guacamole.