Saffron Almond Rice Pilaf

Today’s the big day and I almost didn’t make it!  Last week my computer bit the dust again and this time it was final.  Grumpy took me to Best Buy and we found the netbook I wanted to hold me over until we can afford to buy me a nicer laptop to do all my blog work on.  Friday night I had the netbook and Saturday I made this dish all over again!  It certainly wasn’t a problem that I had to make it all over again because it was delicious!

It is our reveal day for the Secret Recipe Club – Group A.  My assigned blog was The Slow Roasted Italian and I was very pleased!  I have been reading Donna’s blog for a little while now.  The first two things that attracted me to her blog when I found it were her photos and her cocktails.
Saffron Almond Rice Pilaf

I already knew I wanted to make this rice dish that she made.  Donna’s dish, Saffron Walnut Rice Pilaf had been on my list to make already so this was my chance to do so for the SRC!  This dish reminded me a lot of one my mom used to make when I was a young girl and that was the big attraction to make it.

I enjoyed this trip down memory lane with this dish.  Grumpy gave me a funny look when he saw the black olives in the rice, but he gave it a try and went back for seconds, so I don’t think they were a bad thing!  There is some left over that I plan to take with my lunch today and I know the smell that it will create when reheating it will be wonderful and if anyone is like me when someone is reheating something that smells so good, they will be jealous!
Saffron Almond Rice Pilaf

As I was reading over the recipe for this rice, Donna mentioned that she diced the onions finely (and I see she didn’t use too many either!) because Mr. W doesn’t like to many onions.  Hmm, he has that in common with Grumpy.  I LOVE onions and tend to add a lot and when I do I hear it from Grumpy!

Saffron Almond Rice Pilaf
Author: adapted from The Slow Roasted Italian’s recipe for Saffron Walnut Pilaf
Ingredients
  • 2 cups vegetable broth
  • generous pinch saffron threads
  • couple dashes of salt and pepper
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 cup basmati rice
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 small red pepper, diced
  • 1/2 cup sliced black olives
  • 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
  • chopped fresh parsley
Instructions
  1. Bring vegetable broth to a boil. Turn off heat, add saffron, salt and pepper then set aside.
  2. In a medium saucepan, saute the onion in the 2 tablespoons of butter until softened. Add the basmati rice and stir over medium high heat until the rice begins to brown. Add the broth mixture to the rice, return to a boil then turn heat down to simmer, cover pot, and simmer about 10 minutes or until rice has absorbed water and is no longer crunchy.
  3. To toast almonds – while rice is cooking place the almonds in a 350 degree oven. Watch carefully and stir often as they will burn quickly. Once browned, remove from oven and transfer to bowl until ready to add to pilaf.
  4. Remove rice from heat and stir in red pepper, black olives, almonds, and parsley. Serve immediately.
Notes
You do not need to saute the red pepper – so don’t be tempted to add it to the onions. It will be mushy if you do. Just stirring them in after the rice is cooked is good enough as the heat and steam from the cooked rice will soften them a little. It is nice to have them had a little crispiness in the dish – the nuts add that awesome crunch too – I chopped mine up a little after toasting them.

Pin it! Saffron Almond Rice Pilaf

Saffron Almond Rice Pilaf

1. claudia @whats cookin November 7, 2011 at 12:11 pm - Reply

That looks fabulous! I love this photo too
    !

• Anonymous January 12, 2012 at 2:43 am - Reply

We just made this for dinner with a piece of fish. I have had a small stash of saffron fora while now, and don't think to use it often enough. This was very tasty and aromatic! We didn't have black olives so we used kalamata, they rounded out the dish nicely. Thanks for the post, I encourage your followers to try this as a nice addition to a yummy meal!

2. Melissa @IWasBornToCook November 7, 2011 at 1:38 pm - Reply

This looks like a great new side dish idea! Good choice.

3. Mary November 7, 2011 at 2:03 pm - Reply

This looks delicious! I love the addition of the olives.

4. The Slow Roasted Italian November 7, 2011 at 2:34 pm - Reply

Shelby, you did such an amazing job on the Saffron Walnut Rice Pilaf. I LOVE your additions and personalization. I am a huge olive fan.

Love your blog too, I am your newest Facebook Fan!

5. Lesa @Edesia's Notebook November 7, 2011 at 2:55 pm - Reply

What a beautiful rice dish, Shelby! Great choice!

6. Nutmeg Nanny November 7, 2011 at 7:52 pm - Reply

Yum! This homemade pilaf looks delicious!

7. Jane Bonacci - The Heritage Cook November 7, 2011 at 8:20 pm - Reply

So glad you got a chance to post this – I could eat a whole bowl of it! Perfect choice for SRC!!

8. Lisa November 7, 2011 at 9:30 pm - Reply

Such beautiful colors and the taste must be wonderful.

9. Sara November 7, 2011 at 9:35 pm - Reply

Lovely! This dish has great colors – yum!

10. teresa November 8, 2011 at 1:17 am - Reply

i have got to try this. i have saffron in my cupboard just begging to be used.

11. Valerie @ From Valerie's Kitchen November 8, 2011 at 2:04 am - Reply

Just gorgeous Shelby! Looks absolutely delicious!

12. Judee @ Gluten Free A-Z November 8, 2011 at 3:51 am - Reply

The colors are beautiful and the combination of flavors looks devine.

13. Bizzy B. Bakes November 8, 2011 at 2:38 pm - Reply

Shelby, you added to my my husband's need and want list. The celiac means, I cook rice, a lot and I am always on the lookout for new recipes. This one looks and sounds terrific. I might have left out the olives, if you had not mentioned, they passed muster with your hubby.

14. teaandscones November 10, 2011 at 8:01 pm - Reply

Great Side Dish. I love her blog, also. Such great recipes. This one looks very tasty and very easy.

15. Anonymous October 6, 2019 at 10:46 am - Reply

16. […] you’re a fan of rice, this Saffron Almond Rice Pilaf is one of my personal […]

17. Miriah October 20, 2019 at 1:01 pm - Reply