Fresh tomatoes, basil and mozzarella cheese all come together with a little balsamic drizzle making this summertime Caprese Panini sandwich a delicious light weeknight dinner!
 Caprese Panini

Its so hot.  I’m not complaining….I’m just sayin’…..it’s SO hot.  😉  Seriously, I don’t mind the heat.  Maybe its because I sit in air conditioning all day at work and even when I work out at the gym its air conditioned.  I can come home and my house is air conditioned.  So, that could be why it doesn’t bother me too much.  I really don’t mind.

However, when it is hot, who really feels like heating up your kitchen any more than you have to?  Not me, and I’m pretty sure not many of you.  So, when my new Cooking Light magazine arrived and I saw this sandwich, I knew I had to make it.  Fresh tomatoes, fresh basil, fresh mozzarella….how could it not be good?

Caprese Panini

Who doesn’t like fresh?  Even Grumpy said this wasn’t bad….although he didn’t eat a sandwich of his own – he just took a bite of mine.  He had BLT’s the night I made this sandwich for myself.  Cooking Light may have called it Summer Tomato, Mozzarella, and Basil Panini with Balsamic Syrup, but if you ask me it is easier to just call it a Caprese Panini.  So that is what it from this point on.  Much easier to say than the previous mouthful!

Caprese Panini

For another take on Caprese be sure to check out Renee’s Kitchen Adventures for her Babybel Mozzarella Mini Caprese Skewers!

Caprese Panini
Author: Grumpy’s Honeybunch
Serves: 1
Ingredients
  • 1 crusty hard roll – good for grilling
  • 3 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
  • 3 thick slices fresh tomato
  • several leaves of fresh basil
  • Balsamic syrup (you can make this but I bought it instead – much easier!)
  • I Can’t Believe it’s Not Butter spray
  • Panini Grill
Instructions
  1. Heat panini grill. Slice roll in half, assemble as follows:
  2. cheese, balsamic glaze, tomato slices, more balsamic glaze, basil – cover with top of bread.
  3. Spray bottom of panini grill with butter spray. Place sandwich on top of hot grill. Spray top of bun with butter spray. Close panini grill and cook until cheese starts to melt and bread is toasted. Enjoy!
  4. [img src=”https://grumpyshoneybunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/label-8-184×300.png” width=”184″ height=”300″ class=”alignleft size-medium” title=”label (8)”]

CAPRESE PANINI – PIN IT!
Caprese Panini

1. Fallon July 20, 2011 at 10:17 am - Reply

Oh yum!! I love the flavors in a caprese salad. I think a good bread roll is very important for a sandwich like this!

The heat hasn't been bothering me much either. I work in AC all day and then come home to a cool house. The only problem I will have sometimes is when the AC in my car doesn't want to work. It only decides when it wants to work. Grrr 😉

2. honeyb July 20, 2011 at 2:44 pm - Reply

Yum! I would totally love this–and just like Grumpy, my husband would expect some kind of meat in there! I actually have fresh mozz, tomatoes and basil right now. Hmmm, what's for lunch?

3. Mads July 20, 2011 at 7:08 pm - Reply

Ooo I saw that in the recent CL and wanted to try it. I'm glad it turned out!
    I already have the makings for their caesar salad sammy for this week's lunches http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/caesar-salad-bagels-50400000114451/

4. Kathleen July 20, 2011 at 11:18 pm - Reply

Shelby I love this sandwich! My hubby would need some meat too!

5. Carolyn July 21, 2011 at 1:00 am - Reply

Okay, I swear I suggested this exact thing to my husband when we were kicking around ideas to use the basil in our garden! Looks fantastic, I need to revisit the idea all over again.

6. sweetpeaskitchen.com July 21, 2011 at 2:52 am - Reply

Caprese salads are one of my favorite things to make during the summer. I know that I would love this panini. 🙂

7. Love caprese sandwiches! They are my favorite summertime quick meal.

8. Aggie July 21, 2011 at 12:53 pm - Reply

I could eat like this every night of the week! Looks delicious!

9. Maria July 21, 2011 at 4:47 pm - Reply

Love this one! So fresh and delicious!

10. Carolyn July 21, 2011 at 4:59 pm - Reply

Hi again, Shelby. You asked about erythritol/xylitol in my muffin recipe. Those are both sugar alcohols, because I am a diabetic. If your husband and his coworkers don't need to be sugar free, I'd say put 1/2 cup regular sugar in the recipe to replace both the erythritol and the stevia. And make the glaze with powdered sugar.

11. Lana @ Never Enough Thyme July 21, 2011 at 5:42 pm - Reply

I just love this sandwich, Shelby! Perfect for dinner on a hot summer day.

12. Jersey Girl Cooks July 21, 2011 at 6:28 pm - Reply

Love this sandwich!

13. Christine's Pantry July 23, 2011 at 3:27 am - Reply

Looks wonderful! Love it!

14. mjskit July 29, 2011 at 3:23 am - Reply

What a great idea! We're definitely having this for lunch tomorrow! Thanks for the idea.

15. […] PreviousNext […]