This Buffalo Chicken Panini recipe is packed with chicken braised in hot sauce, cheese, caramelized onions, and cheese. This is a delicious pressed sandwich recipe that is ready in under 20 minutes and is perfect for lunch or as a part of game day celebrations.
If you love buffalo chicken wings, but also love a crispy buffalo chicken sandwich with a lot of blue cheese crumbles, then you are going to love this buffalo chicken panini recipe!
❤️ Why I Love This Recipe
✔️ This panini recipe ideas perfect for game day and makes one of the most flavorful panini sandwiches!
✔️ It is a chicken melt panini that combines buffalo flavors with sweet caramelized onions and bold blue cheese sandwiched between crispy bread.
✔️ You can adjust the heat of the sandwich using a mild to medium buffalo wing sauce, adding more for those who like a lot of hot sauce.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases from affiliate links.
Olive oil cooking spray
For the Chicken
- Heat a large skillet coated with cooking spray over medium high heat until hot. Add the sliced chicken and saute until browned.
- Stir in the hot sauce, and butter and bring to a boil, turn head down to low; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
For the Onions
- Heat the butter in a large frying pan over medium low heat. Add the onions and saute for 13 minutes, until soft.
- Stir the sugar into the onions and cook for another 10 minutes or until onions are caramelized. Set aside and preheat the panini griddle.
To Assemble the Panini
- Place the bottom half of bread on a work surface and evenly layer with mozzarella cheese, ⅓ cup chicken mixture, ¼ of the caramelized onions, blue cheese, a little more mozzarella and a sprinkle of cilantro (if using) then place another slice of bread on top.
- Heat grill pan over medium high heat. Spray with cooking spray and place sandwich on the grill.
- Spray the top of sandwiches with olive oil spray and press the sandwiches using a heavy cast iron skillet. Grill for 5 minutes on each side, until the cheese is melted and bread is toasted.
- Spoon 1-2 tablespoons sauce over for more buffalo flavor (if desired).
🙋 Recipe FAQ's
Any cheese that will melt well, from cheddar, to mozzarella, medium to semi soft cheeses that will melt easily and hold the sandwich together.
A panini sandwich is one that is pressed, either using a panini press or a heavy skillet placed on top of the sandwich. A grilled sandwich is cooked on a grill pan or skillet and is not pressed.
No, I never use a panini press, I always use my large cast iron skillet to place on top of the sandwiches to press them.
Choose the right bread (you don't want a bread that is too soft or that will get soggy), a firm bread like ciabatta is the best bread for panini. Focaccia, baguette, or sourdough bread will also work.
💭 Top Tips
- Use butter for flavor and cooking spray if you want less fat. Both butter and cooking spray will crisp up the sandwich.
- Cook the sandwich slow on a medium to medium high heat to heat the sandwich thru with a crisp exterior.
- If using a panini grill, place chicken sandwich on the grill, close the top, and cook until golden brown.
- Substitute leftover rotisserie chicken for the cooked chicken thighs. Just toss the warmed up chicken in a little bit of hot sauce and allow it to sit and absorb the flavor for a few minutes.
- Use chicken breasts in place of the chicken thighs.
- Substitute cheddar cheese or pepper jack cheese for the mozzarella.
Grill pan or panini maker
Heavy skillet if using a grill pan
Large skillet to caramelize the onions and to cook the chicken and hot sauce mixture.
Serve these Buffalo Chicken Panini sandwiches with extra buffalo sauce, blue cheese dressing, or ranch dressing with a side of Air Fryer Buffalo Cauliflower.
Store any leftover panini sandwiches in the refrigerator in an airtight container up to 3 days. Reheat by wrapping in foil and placing in a toaster oven or oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
Don't forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products!
When you make this recipe, please comment below and let me know what you think. I'd love it if you tag me on Instagram @grumpyshoneybunch or #grumpyshoneybunch so I can see your photos!
If you love this recipe, please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating
Buffalo Chicken Panini
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Add the chicken, hot sauce, and butter to a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, then lower heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Heat the butter in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the onions and saute for 13 minutes, until soft.
- Stir in the sugar and saute for another 10 minutes or until onions are caramelized. Set aside and preheat the panini griddle.
- Assemble the sandwiches as follows: Spray the bottom of the bread with butter spray and set it on the grill. Add in layers evenly with the onions, blue cheese, and chicken. Spoon some of the cooking sauce over the chicken, cheese, and onions for more buffalo flavor.
- Top with the mozzarella cheese and cover with the top of the bun. Spray the top bun with butter spray and close panini press. Grill for 5 minutes until cheese is melted and bread is toasted.