Thank you for visiting! If you like this post, please don’t forget to stumble!

So I wonder how many of you out there are going to tell me what Grumpy does whenever I mention eggplant?  I can guarantee you it isn’t nice words!  However, you won’t hear nasty words out of me when eggplant is mentioned!

I had garlic eggplant for the first time several years ago.  I happened to go into Wegmans after work one day and they had a chinese bar where you could serve yourself what you wanted.  I saw garlic eggplant and had to try it.  I have been hooked ever since.  However, after having the eggplant at Wegmans I had a hard time finding it anywhere else.  I have never forgotten how much I enjoyed it though so I recently bought some baby eggplants and went to the internet to find a recipe.  I found one on allrecipes.com that sounded very much like what I wanted!  So, I made me some Eggplant with Garlic Sauce….and Grumpy had dinner with no veggie.  ;o)

Eggplant with Garlic Sauce
Adapted from Allrecipes Eggplant with Garlic Sauce
**the recipe on AR calls for garlic powder and white sugar.  I prefer to use fresh herbs and spices whenever possible and brown sugar just seems right in Asian flavors.  🙂  I also adjusted the portion sizes – and this recipe will serve 2 at approximately 98 calories per serving.

• 1-1/2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 2 baby eggplants, halved lengthwise and cut into 1 inch half moons
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 2 large cloves garlic, minced
  • 1-1/2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cornstarch
  • 1 tablespoons tamari
  • 1 tablespoons oyster sauce
  • green onion for garnish
  • Heat the canola oil in a skillet over high heat. Cook and stir the eggplant until soft, about 4 minutes. Stir in the water, red pepper flakes, and garlic. Cover and simmer until all the water is absorbed. Meanwhile, mix sugar, cornstarch, soy sauce, and oyster sauce in a bowl until sugar and cornstarch have dissolved. Stir sauce into the eggplant, making sure to evenly coat the eggplant. Cook until the sauce has thickened.  Garnish with green onion.

1. Pegasuslegend April 5, 2011 at 12:54 am - Reply

I guess this is right up my alley with the garlic an eggplant sounds delicious!

2. The Duo Dishes April 5, 2011 at 2:30 am - Reply

Tamari's so nice to use in dishes or on its own instead of soy sauce. Richer flavor. There will eggplant on the table tomorrow after seeing this.

3. 5 Star Foodie April 5, 2011 at 3:19 am - Reply

An excellent preparation of eggplant, the garlic sauce sounds so flavorful!

4. teresa April 5, 2011 at 5:55 pm - Reply

i am so unfamiliar with eggplant, but i want to get to know it better. this looks wonderful, what great flavors!

5. Stephanie Frasco April 6, 2011 at 3:14 pm - Reply

Wow! Great recipe! I love eggplant and especially the chinese style. Must try this.

6. Cookin' Canuck April 6, 2011 at 10:07 pm - Reply

I adore cooking with eggplant and, let me tell you, this recipe is calling my name. What fantastic flavors!

7. Chaya April 7, 2011 at 12:58 am - Reply

This is so appealing. A great dish.
    I would be happy if you would link it up to Let's Do Brunch.

8. Shelby April 7, 2011 at 10:08 am - Reply

Thank you Chaya – I will link up!

9. Beth Michelle April 10, 2011 at 7:25 pm - Reply

I love eggplant and its garlic season here in Israel. I will have to try this, it sounds wonderful!

10. April @ The 21st Century Housewife April 13, 2011 at 4:33 pm - Reply

Congratulations on being one of the featured recipes at Let's Do Brunch this week! Your eggplant looks fantastic – I love garlic!

Hope you will come along and join in again this week – the linky is up now!

11. judee@glutenfreeA-Z April 13, 2011 at 8:19 pm - Reply

I always wondered how the Chinese restaurants made this. I can't wait to try this recipe. It looks so good.

12. Anne-Marie @ This Mama Cooks! April 27, 2011 at 4:10 pm - Reply

This is one of my favorite dishes when I go out for Asian food. Can't wait to try it at home.

13. Unknown December 31, 2011 at 5:20 am - Reply

Just had this. Added some tofu to make a whole meal. Delish!!